advice wanted: safer smoking

I'm looking at developing another product line, and want some input. This seems like a good cross-section of potential customers so I'll try to get your thoughts.

I don't smoke. Never have. I don't think I even know anyone who smokes. Times certainly have changed.

With the idea that pot smoking will become more mainstream in Canada, I thought I'd start to move on that.

I can get hemp cord at a pretty decent price and beeswax, too. It isn't difficult to combine the two to make a slower-burning wick. This is a common practice for pot smokers who are concerned about all the butane and flint dust that they're inhaling from their lighters (or sulphur from matches). You light the wick, and use THAT instead. Also useful for cigar smokers. It gives a clean burn of material that you're already inhaling.

I'm not the first to come up with this idea, and there is already a market going. What I'm trying to do is find a better way to market it. To do that, I need to know how you would use it, or already do use it.

It is typically sold rolled in a shape like you would see a pair of shoelaces: say, a loop the width of 4 fingers, 2m or longer. That makes it easy to carry. The problem is that the beeswax is slightly sticky and gets covered with the lint in your pocket/purse or anything else. It would collect dust from your house if left there.

My idea is to sell it with a hinged metal tin (like an Altoids or Fisherman's Friend tin), that could hold the waxed cord, lighter/matches, papers, etc., and maybe a couple of pre-made items if you were taking it with you. For use with a water pipe, only the first two. The waxed cord would be wrapped around something (and also sold separately) so that you could pick up refills.

Is there anything I'm missing? Do you see any utility in this idea?

Also, I'm looking for a name. I have a couple in mind, but I love hearing what others come up with.

I think it's a great idea. Good for you!

The idea of a "All in one container" is a very good one. The only problem I see and I think could be easily addressed, is that some type of container would obviously include the main product itself.

Here are a couple ideas:

1- Having a separate compartment within this container that you could offer to the market would keep your product clean and free from loose materials found within the same container.

2- You mentioned having a dispense container to hold your specific product and also making refill packages available. Could it also be possible to have a smaller version of your self held dispensing packages that could fit inside someones already existing favorite container?

Just bouncing thoughts...

• Like 1

I haven't decided if the dispenser is a card with the cord wrapped around it or a bottle to pull it from.

The bottle would take care of some of those issues.

Here is a pic of the case I have in mind. It should hold a standard BIC lighter.

LL-hinge01.jpg

• Like 1

They have a nice look. They look sharp!

Tin is a great product.

Don't know how feasible it is but perhaps some type of insert or permanent interior casing that could/would prevent loud clicking sounds caused from hard objects hitting against the sides of the container that would occur when someone takes a step. (ie. lighter, small pipe) Maybe a luxury edition...

• Like 1

Nice idea. Box board might do the trick.

I could include a link to a PDF so you could cut one out of whatever material you wanted.

• Like 1

I have a bunch of these that I can use for the inner container. They're 3" inside, so a standard sized rolling paper would fit. Still plenty of room after that.

LL-slide01.jpg

As I said previously...

Most people who use the main product in question tend to take a small amount from whatever they keep it in at home and place it directly into a pocket-sized container in which they also keep their other paraphernalia. With your product being sticky you just wouldn't want any loose pieces of the main product sticking to yours.

I know you're wise enough to figure a solution to this problem.

The clicking issue of the container, as you know, would just be attracting unwanted attention to that person and would be an unpleasant sound like loose change in ones pocket. Your solution for this is a great one as people could customize their own container to their personal liking by using whatever material they want. Obviously this would also keep your cost per unit down. Some people would even get fancy and adhere a nice material to cover the complete interior of the casing.

I do think you are on to something. I wish you all the best of luck if you pursue this idea.

• Like 1

The first thing I thought about when I read your invention was a floss string container that as the little cutter in it. It is plastic so the noise would be down and it will have a cover that keeps it water tight. Of course it will be a bit bigger then the original container but it can be designed easily.

• Like 1

The clicking issue of the container, as you know, would just be attracting unwanted attention to that person and would be an unpleasant sound like loose change in ones pocket.

How about a simple square of hemp fabric, like the wax paper they use for Altoids? It works for them. It is starting to look like a bit of a production now, though.

Open the tin.

Open the fabric flap.

Unwrap the wick.

Open the other container.

Get the green.

Fill the bowl.

Get the lighter.

Light the wick.

Giv'er.

Although, some people relish the rituals. Also, it's all in one place (aside from the device).

Ironic, I've had thoughts about the use and process.

Your product is catering to the "educated", "proud" and "health conscience" users of marijuana. (these terms for them seem oxymoron-ish but this is your demographic) What I mean to say by this is, these people do have and very much enjoy their rituals. Not unlike those who smoke a tobacco pipe or Middle Eastern's smoke their hookah.

My steps would be like this, I would keep my wick in a small sealed plastic bag and my marijuana right in the container. I feel the interior sound dampening material is not really an added step.(I would probably adhere a fabric to the complete interior) The tin container is key for your business, the free advertising on it is priceless. You want that image of the name and logo to become engraved in their minds. So, these would be my steps:

open the tin

get the green

fill the bowl

prepare the wick

get the lighter

light the wick

Enjoy...

To those who will use the wick and will care about the real and best enjoyment possible, the connoisseurs, the added time before a first inhale is 10-15 seconds. Considering the process of finding a spot, sitting down and preparing the bowl while conversing with a friend that the added 10-15 seconds is minimal.

Additional Comments:

If you can produce a tin container that is roughly the same size as a pack of cigarettes and has a name and logo on it, you gain a better chance of branding yourself like Kleenex did with facial tissue. (mega $)

I don't know if you want to see REALLY HORRIBLE every time you look at the box, but it really does work as a company name. I was thinking LETTUCE LOCKER or something.

I'm also toying with the idea of doing abstract droplet art with my new alcohol inks on the tops. Maybe these would cost extra.

Thanks for your help, man. We may work something out for sample trials.

• Like 1

Here is my first mockup. I ran down to the store for some lighters to check. The mini (right side) might not fit where shown when I have the actual tin to put it in.. Still, it'd fit where the other one is.

LL-mock01.jpg

For portable use I was thinking of the model used for extractable erasers. It allows for easy refills and ease of use as the simple mechanism slides along the tube to extract a short piece of stiff waxed cord at a time. The wax would help to keep the inside of the tube slippery to make the extraction effortless. The tube would almost entirely cover the cord from contact with clothing. A clip could be added to carry discretely in a shirt pocket.

B001HA77OO

I realized I had one of the larger tins kicking around. Here is a mockup of both tins and a lighter for size/scale. Lots of room inside for a wick and a bit of hemp cloth. Even if you wrap the wick around the lighter.

LL-mock02.jpg

• Like 1

I really like the tin as an all in one container for the simple fact of visual.

As stated, if it has a name and/or logo every person who will see these containers whether they see someone pull it out from their pocket, bag, drawer, etc, they will store the image in their mind. The first time they see the container it can start a conversation (even better) about "what's that?" or "where did you get that?" again, free advertising of an even better kind.

Not sure what the cost is for mass processing image on the containers would/could be but even if you start with multi-printed stickers on it, that would work too.

Just my opinion...

I'm sending in my design tonight to get a metal embossing stamp made. It's about $200, but I can use it for other products, too. That'll be a permanent mark on both tins.

• Like 1

Just another thought...

About your product being wrapped around the lighter...

Some people who smoke marijuana also smoke cigarettes so they would tend to keep their lighter in their pocket.

Was thinking an inexpensive solution would be if the wick came in a resealable plastic bag similar to a "dime bag" but one size bigger. That would solve the issue of possible pocket lint on the wick and people would not potentially get wax onto their hands.

• Like 1