50 Shades of Grey--the movie

Guest S****r

Have you gone to see 50 Shades of Grey yet?

I went to see it tonight.

I didn't hate it at all.

In fact, I found the sex scenes quite erotic and tastefully done,

not counting the last one.

I thought the female lead over-acted a few of the initial scenes

but thought she did a good job in the latter scenes.

I hear from friends into BDSM that this is not a portrayal of people who participate in kink for the erotic thrill of it. I can see that.

However, I still enjoyed it.

Anyone else?

Hello Summer:

Haven't seen the movie myself, but it does remind me of another one in a similar vein [at least topically], I have seen. Secretary from 2002. Some call it a comedy, some call it a drama, some call it kinky, etc. it is, at the very least thought-provoking and well acted. The trailer at The Internet Movie Database does not really do it justice. But when you're next looking for something to watch this one would be worth the purchase.

PatrickGC

• Like 2

Not every book (or movie) has to be Tolstoy or Lord of the Rings, and every now and then all someone wants is a bit of general entertainment.

And no matter how kinky things are, if it's between consenting adults, then I say go for it.

But that's where my own big issue is that prevents me from enjoying 50 Shades...

At one point the character says 'no'.

But apparently when if you're rich and handsome enough, then that's the difference between no actually meaning yes, and what in any other situation we would call rape. Take that one "minor" point away and I'd probably be on the bandwagon with everyone else, but I personally can't get past it.

• Like 2

Guest S****r

In the story portrayed so far, she doesn't say no until the very end, which is where the movie ends. They do have two safe words, and she doesn't use them. He does respect her no at the end of the movie, but there are two more books to go. lol The movie is clearly a set up for future sequels.

I will admit that I went and seen the movie with my wife. I thought it was well made and I liked the part where he puts her over his knees and spanks her. I agree that there are 3 books and I did not like the way it ended but like Summer said its to prepare us to the other parts.

The information I gathered from others before seeing it was that it was basically domestic abuse hidden as bdsm

However after watching the movie I did not feel that way about it at all.

I enjoyed it, especially the sex scenes. I did not see any hardcore bdsm which was disappointing but hopefully they will divulge more into that in the sequels.

From the way I saw it, she was controlling him, whether she realized it or not, mentally and emotionally.

I have yet to read the books though. After seeing the movie, I think the books will have to be added to my reading list for sure.

• Like 1

Haven't read the books, and after reading some exerpts, I doubt that I will. The trailers looked weird, the relationship between the two kinda felt creepy in the two minutes to never want to watch that movie.

My best friend got roped into watching it with his GF. His exact words were "I wish I could have just stared at a wall for 2 hours instead of watching that movie".

I saw the movie last week. and I found it quite boring. To be fair it was better then staring at a wall. Maybe I didn't enjoy it because i was alone or because BDSM isn't my thing.

I haven't read the books. But i won't nock them. They were certainly the best gift i have ever given!

Additional Comments:

I have to agree with you Jewel She was totally in control. That's the way I generally like it.

Loved the books so probably won't see the movie. I am a reader and the movie in my head is always better than the on screen adaptation. Don't wanna ruin it!

I haven't seen it, nor read the books. Mainly because I think it is over-hyped and I will be disappointed.

However, I did come across this real life tale of two people trying it out. I found it hilarious. Worth a read and a laugh at the reality of it all.

http://www.cosmopolitan.com/sex-love/a36032/fifty-shades-of-grey-in-one-weekend/

• Like 1

Haven't read or seen the movie. I'll probably wait until it's available for home viewing. Just to be clear, I'm seeing it to make my own decision on whether its a good movie. I'm not watching it because I find the female lead very hot and I haven't already fantasized about her yet. I'll watch movies, bad movies, just because I find the female lead hot. If I get really bored, then watching at home allows me to do something with my hands while watching her every move. Sounds creepy but that's me...

I simply can't reconcile the rise of 50 Shades with the rise of Rape Culture:

on one hand the lure of masculine domination, on the other the criminalization of it.

I'm just glad I'm too old to care lol

I simply can't reconcile the rise of 50 Shades with the rise of Rape Culture:

on one hand the lure of masculine domination, on the other the criminalization of it.

Really?? This is like saying "I can't reconcile the fact that some people like hamburgers, yet it's wrong for me to force one down someone's throat."

The power play in BDSM/50 Shades is voluntary on both sides. Either party could call a stop to the play at any time; they just CHOOSE not to. As long as the choice is there, it's legit.

Rape is about taking choice away. Rape culture is about dismissing the validity and importance of a woman's right to choose.

• Like 1