How are reputation points earned? Are there different weights for different comments? What happens to reputation points when the comments are negative? Do "post nominations" earn reputation points?

Sorry for asking, if the answers to these questions are well known, but I could not find anything regarding them on the forum.

Look at the top of the page

Rules and FAQ's/General Forum & Usage/User Profile features/Reputation

Guest W***ledi*Time
How are reputation points earned?

You can get Reputation Points in two ways:

First, from having another member approve of one of your posts (using the "Reputation for this Post" button). If the member is qualified to give out Rep Points (see below), then if the member approves of your post, your Rep Point total will be increased based on the giver's Rep-Point Power. If the member disapproves of your post, your Rep Point total will be decreased by half of the giver's Rep-Point Power.

Second, having another member nominate one of your posts will give you one Rep Point for each nomination.

Are there different weights for different comments?

There are different weights, based on the Rep-Point Power of the giver. Each time a member approves of another member's post, the number of rep-points that are given to the poster are equal to the giver's Rep-Point Power.

To begin with, you have to have BOTH at least 25 rep points of your own; AND at least 25 posts of your own in order to give out Rep Points. Below this threshold, approving of another members posts will not affect their Rep-Points. You can still leave a comment, however.

A member with 25 rep points who has made 25 posts will have a Rep-Point Power of 1. Beyond that, I'm not 100% sure of the exact formula for calculating Rep-Point Power. I think when a member hits 50 rep-points or 50 posts, their Rep-Point Power increases by 1 for each accomplishment, so a member with both 50 rep and 50 posts will have a Rep-Point Power of 3. I think the next level is 100, so a member with 100 rep and 100 posts will have a Power of 5. Beyond that level, Power increases by one for every additional 100 rep-points the member accumulates, and also by one for every additional 100 posts the member makes. (I stand to be corrected on the exact formula, but that's the general gist of how Rep-Point Power is calculated.)

What happens to reputation points when the comments are negative?

I believe that when a member disapproves of a post, the poster's Rep Point total will be decreased by only half of the giver's Rep-Point Power.

Do "post nominations" earn reputation points?

Yes, always one Rep Point for each nomination, no matter who is doing the nominating.

I enjoy giving rep points to the ladies ad's since we can't comment on their ad's anymore,(no more fun :( ) But points for those ladies :) and comment in your rep points to her :)

• Like 1

Thanks for Boomer for referring me to the Rules and FAQ section. I read that, but was still confused about a number of issues.

The excellent answer by WIT clarified most issues. I did not realize the process was this complex. Thanks WIT for sharing your extensive knowlege. I think you are the most informed member of Lyla, even though you may not be the cutest.

I have one more concern. I find it a bit offensive when members with no rep points are told that they "haven't proven trustworthy yet". I do not see why new members are told they are untrustworthy. Just tell them they have not yet earned reputation points.

• Like 1

wellie said:
Thanks for Boomer for referring me to the Rules and FAQ section. I read that, but was still confused about a number of issues.

The excellent answer by WIT clarified most issues. I did not realize the process was this complex. Thanks WIT for sharing your extensive knowlege. I think you are the most informed member of CERB, even though you may not be the cutest.

I have one more concern. I find it a bit offensive when members with no rep points are told that they "haven't proven trustworthy yet". I do not see why new members are told they are untrustworthy. Just tell them they have not yet earned reputation points.

Don't take offense to the phrase "haven't proven trustworthy yet"

First, all new members are welcomed to Lyla

But trust per se is earned, and not proven trustworthy yet is different than saying you are untrustworthy

And keep in mind no member has just got rep points and proven trustworthy...everyone had to prove their trustworthiness

RG

• Like 1

I guess I just don't get the connection between having some "reputation", based on the evaluation (pos or neg) of posts by CERB members, and being "trustworthy". I doubt that I would necessarily buy a used car, or invest my money with, from someone whose posts on CERB readers agreed with or found interesting.

There is one limited sense of "trustworthy" that maybe connected to the evaluation of posts. After readers have found a few posts to be OK, the MOD can be assured that the new member is not likely to subvert the purpose of the forum. But that limited sense of "trustworthy", does not warrant a general attribution of "not yet trustworthy" to alll new members of CERB

Guest W***ledi*Time
.... that limited sense of "trustworthy", does not warrant a general attribution of "not yet trustworthy" to alll new members of CERB

Just for the record, the exact phraseology is : "New member or has not proven trustworthy yet", not "New member and has not proven trustworthy yet". You can look it up ... or you can trust me, ha ha.

I've been reading this thread and as others already explained those who have reputation points have earned them through their posts which other members here agreed on enough to either nominate their post or give them reputation points, which as previously mentioned can be good or bad.

This however in my opinion does not make a member trustworthy, as Roamingguy said trust is earned and at least in my case I do not label/consider a member here trustworthy based in their reputation points.

Reputation is 'the general estimation in which a person is held by the public.' Trust on the other hand is 'a firm reliance on the integrity, ability, or character of a person.'

I consider a member trustworthy or not based on how he carries himself in here, the kind of posts made by him, how he interacts with people and yes, the reputation influences in the opinion made on someone but is not the only factor.

Bottom line of what I'm trying to express here is reputation points most times represent our agreement or disagreement with what one has said or that's the way I see it. If you guys don't agree then I guess I'll get a few bad rep points but that won't make me untrustworthy, will it? ;)

• Like 7

Just for the record, the exact phraseology is : "New member or has not proven trustworthy yet", not "New member and has not proven trustworthy yet". You can look it up ... or you can trust me, ha ha.

I always trust WrinkledinTime, but that is NOT because he has the highest reputation on CERB. (I checked up on you anyway and you are right).

I also agree with Isabella Gia entirely. Unfortunately, I could not simply click on her reputation button to say this. I was told I had to spread reputation points around. (I was told the same for WrinkledinTime) and and therefore was forced to use my lousy keyboarding skills.

To WIT, or anyone else. What are the rules for spreading reputation points around? When does one get blocked from assigning rep points to a post?

Really they are just level titles. Maybe the council has some ideas for this?

(We don't want to offend anyone of give the wrong impression)

CURRENT LEVELS

REP of 0 = User

REP of 9 = User has lost reputation points

REP of 10 = User New member or has not proven trustworthy yet

REP of 11 = User is gaining reputation

REP of 20 = User has over 20 reputation points

REP of 50 = User has over 50 reputation points

REP of 100 = User has over 100 reputation points!

REP of 500 = User has over 500 reputation points!!

REP of 1000 = User has over 1000 reputation points (Elite Member)

REP of 10000 = User has reached God Status

Everyone starts with 10 points. All you need is 1 point to change it from "User New member or has not proven trustworthy yet" to "User is gaining reputation"

The REASON I put the "Member has not proven trustworthy yet" was because of SHILL posts and SHILL recommendations. If the member has no valued post history then a recommendation or positive comment from this person you should take extra caution in believing it to be true. Someone who has a high reputation level and becomes creditable among the community is MORE likely not going to post a SHILL... sure it happens but it is a LOT less likely as it take time and effort to raise the rep level and to chance it all (and chance loosing your community status by having your account banned) makes the poster with high reputation levels more creditable.

It also says this person helps the community (and that is the most important part of the reputation in my eyes).

I tried to come up with titles for each level that WOULD NOT be offensive. Apparently I failed in some peoples eyes.

How do you politely say "Hey, this guy is new and has not contributed anything substantial to the site yet so this post could be a SHILL watch out"

Maybe it should say "This member has not earned any reputation yet from the community" would that be better??

Thanks MOD, for clarifying some issues pertaining to rep points. Regarding the question you ask, I suggested what you propose in my second post on this thread.

......How do you politely say "Hey, this guy is new and has not contributed anything substantial to the site yet so this post could be a SHILL watch out"

Maybe it should say "This member has not earned any reputation yet from the community" would that be better??

While I have your attention, would you mind clarifying the rules regarding "spreading rep points"?

I found WIT's comments very imformative and true the hard way, I had 2 Elite members disapprove a post I made to a thread, saying I was trying to steal the thread. I won't argue the point of my lost reputation points, but personally I find the elite members maybe have to much power, they can either make or break your reputation points, especially for newbies. Based on my one infraction I lost 25 points.

So based on WIT's info a Elite member can either add 25 points or take away 12.5 points from your reputation.

My learnings ... I recommend you stay on topic within a thread, if unsure start a new thread.

You can get Reputation Points in two ways:

First, from having another member approve of one of your posts (using the "Reputation for this Post" button). If the member is qualified to give out Rep Points (see below), then if the member approves of your post, your Rep Point total will be increased based on the giver's Rep-Point Power. If the member disapproves of your post, your Rep Point total will be decreased by half of the giver's Rep-Point Power.

Second, having another member nominate one of your posts will give you one Rep Point for each nomination.

There are different weights, based on the Rep-Point Power of the giver. Each time a member approves of another member's post, the number of rep-points that are given to the poster are equal to the giver's Rep-Point Power.

To begin with, you have to have BOTH at least 25 rep points of your own; AND at least 25 posts of your own in order to give out Rep Points. Below this threshold, approving of another members posts will not affect their Rep-Points. You can still leave a comment, however.

A member with 25 rep points who has made 25 posts will have a Rep-Point Power of 1. Beyond that, I'm not 100% sure of the exact formula for calculating Rep-Point Power. I think when a member hits 50 rep-points or 50 posts, their Rep-Point Power increases by 1 for each accomplishment, so a member with both 50 rep and 50 posts will have a Rep-Point Power of 3. I think the next level is 100, so a member with 100 rep and 100 posts will have a Power of 5. Beyond that level, Power increases by one for every additional 100 rep-points the member accumulates, and also by one for every additional 100 posts the member makes. (I stand to be corrected on the exact formula, but that's the general gist of how Rep-Point Power is calculated.)

I believe that when a member disapproves of a post, the poster's Rep Point total will be decreased by only half of the giver's Rep-Point Power.

Yes, always one Rep Point for each nomination, no matter who is doing the nominating.

Edited by Jake_1957

Guest W***ledi*Time
What are the rules for spreading reputation points around? When does one get blocked from assigning rep points to a post?

Firstly, you can only give out rep 10 times in any 24 hour period.

Secondly, once you have given rep to one particular person, you have to give rep (either by the "Rep for this post" button, or via nomination) to nine others before you can give more to the first person again, no matter how long a time since you last gave rep to the first person. (The intent of this rule is to cut back on abuse of the system by one member unfairly supporting only one or a few other members).

When there's a post I really want to give rep to, and I happen to run up against this second restriction, I just do a work-around. I set-about giving rep to enough other deserving posters until I have reached the total of nine required. Then I give the rep I really wanted to give in the first place. The way I look at it, there's plenty of thoughtful and informative posts made on the board -- so it isn't that hard to find enough good posts by others to allow the conditions to be fulfilled.

Hope this makes sense ...

I,ve been on cerb just about two years now and this is the first time i found out how rep points work-i,ve never given any to anyone - i,ve simply nominated posts that i either agreed with strongly or felt the poster made a valuable or inciteful response to the post- have i been doing this wrong ? plus i simply did not know about the rep points-ignorance is bliss

I'd vote for that: it's a simple statement of fact (most of the time), rather than a potential judgment.

• Like 1

I'd vote for that: it's a simple statement of fact (most of the time), rather than a potential judgment.

Well said Phaedrus. I hope the MOD hears.

Thanks, wellie. Looks like our esteemed Mod is already reading this thread, so should be no worries on that front.

One other point, related my original post: it would be nice if what new users saw on their own profiles and posts made them feel welcome, rather than implying that they're on probation. I know that new members *are* on probation, at least initially while their posts are moderated, but maybe we could change the rep-points message once a user is no longer in automatic moderation? I have no idea whether this is feasible or how much this actually matters in practice, though.

have i been doing this wrong ? plus i simply did not know about the rep points-ignorance is bliss

Nominations give out rep points as well.

WrinkledinTime said:
Firstly, you can only give out rep 10 times in any 24 hour period.

Secondly, once you have given rep to one particular person, you have to give rep (either by the "Rep for this post" button, or via nomination) to nine others before you can give more to the first person again, no matter how long a time since you last gave rep to the first person. (The intent of this rule is to cut back on abuse of the system by one member unfairly supporting only one or a few other members).

When there's a post I really want to give rep to, and I happen to run up against this second restriction, I just do a work-around. I set-about giving rep to enough other deserving posters until I have reached the total of nine required. Then I give the rep I really wanted to give in the first place. The way I look at it, there's plenty of thoughtful and informative posts made on the board -- so it isn't that hard to find enough good posts by others to allow the conditions to be fulfilled.

Hope this makes sense ...

I do not get on Lyla as often as I would like to unfortunately, so I find it hard to reach the Nine threshold before I can give rep to the same member again. I like to give rep when I feel that it is warranted.

I would like to see this number decreased to say 3 or 5. I think we need to loosen up just a little bit on the constraints.

WIT, I am going to use you as an example. You have contributed many deserving posts that I wanted to give you rep for but I end up getting "you have to spread some around first". My preference is to comment on the post which gives you rep and the reason for giving you the rep.

I am wondering about he merit of some of these policies.

etasman tell us that noninating a post also contributes to points.

Today I saw a member wishing another member a happy birthday. It was a simple wish and I'm sure it was heart felt but different member nominated that post.

What the heck is that ?

If you want to wish her a happy birthday do it yourself. Nominateing someone elses birthday wish is like sucking-up in the cheapest form. I'm not sure who the sucking up was intended for; but tell me; is there points attibuted to someone when this sucking up thing is done?

These are the things that send up red flags

for me. Senseless suck-ups, and collecting friends like fly paper collects bugs.

I appologize. I am from Manitoba , and from past history we need to be a little more careful in this province. Infiltration is a dirty reality

chicas/chavez

Hey Chavez/Chicas:)

I love it, always calling it exactly as like you see it. I was going to nominate your post (tongue in cheek) of course. But that would be senseless sucking up so I won't :)

Peace

MG

• Like 1

Chavez I think you could have expressed your concern about nominations and reputation points without offending anyone.

I actually have wondered myself how some posts that in my opinion are not contributing to the forum in a positive way at least have been nominated or received nomination posts but as far as I know there are no rules about it and there could be something behind that nomination/points given that is not of us other readers' knowledge.

Now, as for your 'sucking-up' comment I don't see what kind of benefit a gentleman could get from nominating another gentleman. As I said there's a reason why he has decided to give a nomination that we obviously don't know and maybe not even the poster does but the rest of the community should respect that and keep our thoughts (especially if not positive ones), to ourselves. in the end it doesn't affect us in any way.

I am wondering about he merit of some of these policies.

etasman tell us that noninating a post also contributes to points.

Today I saw a member wishing another member a happy birthday. It was a simple wish and I'm sure it was heart felt but different member nominated that post.

What the heck is that ?

If you want to wish her a happy birthday do it yourself. Nominateing someone elses birthday wish is like sucking-up in the cheapest form. I'm not sure who the sucking up was intended for; but tell me; is there points attibuted to someone when this sucking up thing is done?

These are the things that send up red flags

for me. Senseless suck-ups, and collecting friends like fly paper collects bugs.

I appologize. I am from Manitoba , and from past history we need to be a little more careful in this province. Infiltration is a dirty reality

chicas/chavez