VOIP, apps questions

I know what VOIP is but what is it? Like how do you get it on your phone? Only through the internet? So that means using data when you cannot use internet, right? Do you have to have a SIM card for it? Does your phone have to be unlocked if you do not get service from the normal wireless phone companies? Or is that when it comes to an app (unlock phone). Why would you unlock a phone and is it illegal? It sounds illegal.

I have questions as to the legitimacy of these types of services but I don't know enough to ask the correct questions. Does anyone know anything?

Hi Melanie, here is a page that might explain a few things? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VoIP_phone

Now, according to what I read so far, my understanding is that Voip phones can only be landline phones or cordless phones (not cell phones) using internet to make calls, and that cell phones cannot be connect to a Voip system.

That is all I could say about it. Not much I am afraid but I still hope it helps a bit!

Additional Comments:

Well, just found this too: http://www.voip-info.org/wiki/view/Mobile+VoIP so It seems that we can use cell phones via a Voip service. It is quite confusing to me. The only thing I get is that it requires an application on your cell phone. If I understand what is written in this article, it means that a cell number can be linked to an exisiting Voip service. What is not clear to me is if the cell number itself has to be linked to an exisiting landline number to be able to use a Voip service, or if the cell number itself can be directly connected to a Voip service. Do I make sense?

• Like 1

ok so now I know that is available with an app and internet connection. And there is such thing as 'piggybacking' on your existing data plan.

so now i wonder if the voip number will be the same as the cell number that i already have or does it have to be different? And if i have to still pay for a cell plan why on earth would i want to get voip? what purpose does it really serve? (just a question, please let me know any 'pros' that you can see)

And now about apps: what about the phone number? Stays the same? Do they cost anything? Are they only for texting?

Additional Comments:

The real reason I was asking about the workings of these services is because I was trying to decide if the people who were using them to contact me were on the level. But that may not necessarily be true as I have found out what some of these services are capable of. They are not always used for good purposes. Which leaves me to wonder ... so I have decided to not accept requests from people who use those services. I was toying with the idea but ...no. Thanks for info from ppl who pm and responded

It totally depends on the level of service from the individual itself. I can easily take your number and make calls with it. Its not safe, another layer of security might need to be added to your pre-screens if that's the case.

As for your questions, it would be a totally different number than your existing cell/data package. Voip is more for poeple who do not have cells and only use devices that are wireless capable. Or someone looking to save a huge amount of money off of a cell plan. Voip is 40% cheaper almost accross the board.

• Like 2

But what could possibly be another layer of security when receiving calls from these services? There is nothing 'real' to go on. Nothing that even says they are in the same country as me. Seems like detective work is necessary here and the investment of my time, as time is money, is absolutely not worth it.

I mean if somebody can't be a little bit real with me, then I can't be real with them. Kinda defeats the purpose. Even if i worked anonymously on the street, I could at least have a license plate and a real car. Here I would have nothing. Unwilling to give a little bit means your up to no good and if you are that doubtful that I am well versed and completely respectful of someone's need for privacy and discretion, that tells me you may have done things that have endangered someone else's privacy and need for discretion. (and I have read from a hobbyist that he will find out the real name of a sp and anything else he can before he sees her. A bit stalker-like if you ask me. But why does he feel the need? Paranoia? No excuse. Weird and stalker behaviour? Yes. Up to no good? Definitely!)

Otherwise how you would be sooo aware of all the intricacies of how to keep yourself completely anonymous when dealing with an individual person who is in the same boat as you. And I won't believe that person has personally experienced an incidence of such. If that was case, why is he continuing to put himself in that situation?

On the harmless side, disguising yourself in that manner just means your not serious and just wanting to waste my time with your inquiries. On the nuisance side (and perhaps a ding to my income) cost me money if you intend not to show up. On the dangerous side you do show up then log my location, share the number you used with less desirable people who then are free to call me using your reputation and do me some harm. Either way no good can come of it that I can see.

PS - if i start getting irate people calling me because someone was spoofing my number, I will be sure to question you first ;)

Guest st*****ens**ors

I know a number of people who have cellphones with very minimal plans for emergencies, and use voip for all their calls in order to reduce their costs. It means they only talk on the phone when in range of a Wi-Fi connection, but there isn't anything intrinsically shady or suspicious about the practice. Call quality is lower, and it's not as convenient, but it certainly is inexpensive.

I've always been a little perplexed by the ban on "calling from apps" in some provider's ads, as other means of verification are still possible, but I suppose the extra anonymity of the technology made it more liable to abuse.

I used to have very little use for a cellphone, and had a voip account on a little tablet with a $5 a month data plan that I used for all my calls. Still sort of wish I had kept it.z

Guest S****r

Other than calling the number to check. How can the received know it is a spoof? I mean when it looks like a regular number, not an odd series

There are Android apps like Freetone which I believe can give you a number. Of course this can be used on a phone that has a WiFi. I believe it's free if you earn credits by reading some ads.

Of course the best known voice over IP is Skype, which is available through an ap, but getting an assigned number in Canada is not possible.

• Like 1

Other than calling the number to check. How can the received know it is a spoof? I mean when it looks like a regular number, not an odd series

Easy...they DO call. People get their panties in a bunch when they don't recognize a number and that number calls and calls. Their curiousity gets the better of them because they cannot simply block or ignore this strange number, they have to take action!

I had my number spoofed before. I found out because people started calling me in the middle of night screaming at me to stop calling them. One night it was the whole night. Before I turned my phone off I was getting weird calls and VM so I answered cuz I thought what the heck is going on here?. One guy absolutely would not tell me why "I" was calling he was just screaming, threatening to call cops etc (and he was calling from a voip number too ironically). I tried to calm him down to try to figure out what this person's (ppl spoofing my number) game was. But screaming guy would not give me any info. I thought at that point HE was the one being an idiot and was crank calling. But in morning checking VM's one guy says "your drunk. Stop calling!!"

And for a few months I was getting lots of calls not on my contact list and not leaving message (this was a personal number). So now I figure I have been spoofed. Called my service provider company and she said spoofers usually use the number for limited time then move on if they don't get the results they were looking for. Except months later I am STILL getting these calls! I answered once an explained to guy about spoofing and how I am gonna wait it out cuz I'm stubborn that way. Lol then he says well you can call me any time, I told him but YOU can't answer the phone, you're supposed to block the number.!! anyways, what a hassle.

Additional Comments:

I know a number of people who have cellphones with very minimal plans for emergencies, and use voip for all their calls in order to reduce their costs. It means they only talk on the phone when in range of a Wi-Fi connection, but there isn't anything intrinsically shady or suspicious about the practice. Call quality is lower, and it's not as convenient, but it certainly is inexpensive.

I've always been a little perplexed by the ban on "calling from apps" in some provider's ads, as other means of verification are still possible, but I suppose the extra anonymity of the technology made it more liable to abuse.

I used to have very little use for a cellphone, and had a voip account on a little tablet with a $5 a month data plan that I used for all my calls. Still sort of wish I had kept it.z

Most people use voip to make long (expensive) calls to friends and relatives overseas. Then the thriftiness makes more sense.

And most callers to someone like me are just killing time and trying to mess with me (cuz of my profession). So the chances that it just a person trying to save themselves money is much lower than if I was, say, a building supply company. I mean that is much more likely they lean closer to side that says "hey lets mess with this __. I am just sitting in Tim's waiting for my friend to meet me and I already checked my Twitter...Let's see if I can get her address..."

And if they are just being thrifty with their cell phone money, then why don't they explain that this is what they got and this how it is going to work? Upfront! I mean I easily explain how my process works..for understanding and so no one gets spooked....

Guest S****r

What I meant was, if someone calls me from a spoofed number, if it has nine numbers, how do I know it is not a legit number? I know the ones that I get that are a different number of digits are not real, but what about the others? I know if I call it and it doesn't work. But I mean by viewing it on my screen as an incoming call, how can I know?

Thanks.

What I meant was, if someone calls me from a spoofed number, if it has nine numbers, how do I know it is not a legit number? I know the ones that I get that are a different number of digits are not real, but what about the others? I know if I call it and it doesn't work. But I mean by viewing it on my screen as an incoming call, how can I know?

Thanks.

The "spoofed number" usually, but not always, has a different area code than your local area code. Google voip uses certain area codes. But in general, you can't always know if it is a local number or a voip number.

With most of the voip numbers, it's not possible to call them back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know what VOIP is but what is it? Like how do you get it on your phone? Only through the internet? So that means using data when you cannot use internet, right? Do you have to have a SIM card for it? Does your phone have to be unlocked if you do not get service from the normal wireless phone companies? Or is that when it comes to an app (unlock phone). Why would you unlock a phone and is it illegal? It sounds illegal.

I have questions as to the legitimacy of these types of services but I don't know enough to ask the correct questions. Does anyone know anything?

VoIP is the name for the technology that carries voice over the Internet.

Your data plan on your cell phone gives you access to the Internet. So anytime you use a messaging app, such as Google hangouts, etc. to make a voice call to someone, you are using voip technology.

Why would you use it as opposed to using your talk minutes on your cell phone? To make cheap long distance calls, to save on your phone minutes. If you are somewhere with access to wifi, you essentially have free data and can use wifi to make voip call and not use your phone minutes or the data plan on your cell phone.

It is also a way of making semi anonymous calls. Because your own cell number won't be displayed.

• Like 2

Guest S****r
The "spoofed number" usually, but not always, has a different area code than your local area code. <snip>

With most of the voip numbers, it's not possible to call them back.

yeah, but we get legitimate calls from other area codes, as men visiting ottaws will call on their own cell phones. So you really can't tell then. Eh? I know you can't call them back.

Then how did people call me? My number was spoofed so it must have been complete, and they probably just called straight from their call logs (didn't punch number in I mean). Mine is a legit number and not voip so maybe that is why?

I think that is why spoofing is such a nasty business. If my number shows up and someone researches it, it looks legit. Now I'm confused. If someone calls from a voip but spoofs a legit number then there is absolutely no way of knowing either way.

OMgoodness, Summer. Can you say 'can of worms'? I'm really confused now...and boy...I dont know what to think now

Guest S****r
Then how did people call me? My number was spoofed so it must have been complete, and they probably just called straight from their call logs (didn't punch number in I mean). Mine is a legit number and not voip so maybe that is why?

I think that is why spoofing is such a nasty business. If my number shows up and someone researches it, it looks legit. Now I'm confused. If someone calls from a voip but spoofs a legit number then there is absolutely no way of knowing either way.

OMgoodness, Summer. Can you say 'can of worms'? I'm really confused now...and boy...I dont know what to think now

Lol. I don't know either. Let's wait and see what the experts here say.

People can call your legitimate cell phone from a VOIP service. In such cases you won't get a number displayed on your cell that you can call back or easily trace. For example, I can dial your cell phone through my google hangout app and you will see an area code from California. You won't know my real cell phone number.

The call however IS traceable if required by law. Not easy, but it is technically possible.

I hope I have answered all your questions. If not, ask specifically what you need to know, and I'll be happy to help as much as I know.

• Like 1

yeah, but we get legitimate calls from other area codes, as men visiting ottaws will call on their own cell phones. So you really can't tell then. Eh? I know you can't call them back.

Usually, if you google the phone number, you can easily see that it is a "spoofed" or VoIP phone number. If you wanna go to such lengths to find out. Because at the end of the day, a phone call is a phone call and people have good reasons to resort to voip. Our roaming and cell phone rates in Canada are ridiculous and if you have free wifi in a hotel room, it's stupid not to use it to make phone calls as well.

Guest S****r
People can call your legitimate cell phone from a VOIP service. In such cases you won't get a number displayed on your cell that you can call back or easily trace. For example, I can dial your cell phone through my google hangout app and you will see an area code from California. You won't know my real cell phone number.

The call however IS traceable if required by law. Not easy, but it is technically possible.

I hope I have answered all your questions. If not, ask specifically what you need to know, and I'll be happy to help as much as I know.

Okay, that is what I thought. Thank you.

My unanswered question is--if someone calls me from a spoofed nine-digit number, other than calling it back and having it not work, how can I tell it is not the real number? Like when it is ringing on my phone, so I know whether to bother to answer it or not. The fact that it is not local is irrelevant because we get legit calls from out of town guys on their real phones.

I am concluding that you cannot tell.

Is that correct?

Okay, that is what I thought. Thank you.

My unanswered question is--if someone calls me from a spoofed nine-digit number, other than calling it back and having it not work, how can I tell it is not the real number? Like when it is ringing on my phone, so I know whether to bother to answer it or not. The fact that it is not local is irrelevant because we get legit calls from out of town guys on their real phones.

I am concluding that you cannot tell.

Is that correct?

Not right off the bat.

Certain area codes are red flags, but I don't know them off the top of my head.

If you don't wanna lose legit clients, who may be using VoIP to call you, you can't just decline the call based on area code.

Guest S****r
Not right off the bat.

Certain area codes are red flags, but I don't know them off the top of my head.

If you don't wanna lose legit clients, who may be using VoIP to call you, you can't just decline the call based on area code.

I don't mind losing such clients. I want a real number for security reasons. See, we have to have a trail that can be followed in the unfortunate event of us being left for dead or incapacitated. There has to be a starting point for a search.

That is why we want a real number attached to a real name and/or person.

I don't mind losing such clients. I want a real number for security reasons. See, we have to have a trail that can be followed in the unfortunate event of us being left for dead or incapacitated. There has to be a starting point for a search.

That is why we want a real number attached to a real name and/or person.

And that's why I'm saying the number is not 100% anonymous. Google can still tell you which phone or device originated the VoIP request. There's always bread crumbs left.

I will consider you 'go-to' guy. When I mull this over, and understand it better, then I will no doubt have more questions. Thanks for your offer.