Any tips and tricks for back pain?

There are a lot of underlying issues that can cause back pain. It is wise to seek medical attention to identify the cause.

I am fortunate that my back pain was not disc related. I have been pain free after seeing a medicine man (yes my heritage is part First Nations). He massaged the area, identified that I had spasms not a disc issue (later confirmed by an MRI) gave be exercises to strengthen my core, stretching exercises to perform in the shower in the morning (squats with arms outstretched) and told me to add magnesium citrate.

My hamstrings are really tight and so stretching is really important to me. I spoke with my yoga instructor and there are some positions that I do not do and others that I modify.

I saw my doctor who did an xray, and he found some age related disc compression. He sent me off to see a physio therapist, who gave me an exercise regime to strengthen my core muscles and that has done wonders to relieve me of pain. Physio has been a great tool more than once an I would highly recommend.

Many time back pain are caused by humidity in the air and a wrong move which will inflame the skeletal muscle or group of muscle(called Myositis).

Taking anti inflammatory helps but I found that by using a inversion table also helps a lot and reduces the amount of time that I get them.

I've tried it all and a couple of things worked noticeably for me. Physio is golden and now covered by OHIP if prescribed by your doctor. The second thing is a little hippy witchy but I used isochronic tones at night for pain. I used the ones from Vortex, they're on youtube and they have a 3 hour Theta pain management recording that seems to do the trick. I listen as I fall asleep and it's been almost 18 months since I've had real discomfort. I wasn't disciplined with the physio initially due to how much it hurt to do it so I can't attribute my relief to it. If I skip the tones for more than a couple of weeks, the pain starts to return even with consistent physiotherapy.

I also have severe arthritic joint pain and a month ago I started a protocol with DE, iodine and boron. In a week the pain had alleviated into mild discomfort and now its barely noticeable. I'm not sure if it's placebo but I'm at a point where I don't care why it works, just that it does...

smiles, cat

• Like 2

Back pain is very complicated and we don't know a lot about why it happens or how to effectively treat it.

For severe, acute pain, go see a sports medicine doctor, to rule out an injury that requires medical intervention, if nothing else.

This article provides an easy to read summary on the evidence around lower back pain https://www.vox.com/science-and-health/2017/8/4/15929484/chronic-back-pain-treatment-mainstream-vs-alternative

A stronger core can make injury less likely. Depending on where you are in your yoga  (beginner, novice etc) you may need to strengthen the core. Maybe you have to be more deliberate and careful when changing and holding positions. Control it to prevent injury.

Other than basics like that I don't know anything of back pain thank goodness 🙂 I hope you have worked it out by now 😃

Oops I see this was about pain (already occured) and not prevention. My bad

Edited by TorontoMelanieJolliet
oops
  • Like 1

On 9/22/2018 at 11:48 AM, TorontoMelanieJolliet said:

A stronger core can make injury less likely. Depending on where you are in your yoga  (beginner, novice etc) you may need to strengthen the core. Maybe you have to be more deliberate and careful when changing and holding positions. Control it to prevent injury.

Other than basics like that I don't know anything of back pain thank goodness 🙂 I hope you have worked it out by now 😃

Oops I see this was about pain (already occured) and not prevention. My bad

Bingo. My business went through an expansion that went south in a hurry and I was forced to put 15-18 hour days in on my feet walking and operating equipment.  The business was saved and, for some reason, my back has never been better than in the  last 18 months of the last  10  years. Excercise and core strenght are key. Before the forced workouts, my back would go out every time I laid down.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

a quick trip to your family doc is always a good start to determine if it is an underlying pre existing condition that could also be an existing cause of pain (ex. curved spine) a regular RMT massage usually does the trick or if more severe physio or cryropractic clinic may be needed

• Like 2

Use a foam roller on the ground to massage your back. Or use a tennis ball on your back again the wall to massage it.

On 8/22/2017 at 10:09 AM, Amerie Power said:

I'm looking for advice on how to ease back pains after encountering yoga related injuries. Thank you in advance for the help!

I see an acupuncturist- but I also offer some guidance for restorative stretching as a movement instructor if you are interested - I do 15 min free consultations

• Like 1

I lay flat on the floor when my back hurts. I also do the “Sun Salutation A” Yoga pose sequence. It really helps me when my back is aching. 

Edited by crustychris69
  • Thanks 1

On 1/9/2023 at 8:18 AM, crustychris69 said:

I lay flat on the floor when my back hurts. I also do the “Sun Salutation A” Yoga pose sequence. It really helps me when my back is aching. 

I second it, it helps me too. I also do Child's and cat-cow pose. This is a dynamic pose that helps to stretch the spine.