anyone has insomnia

Hi

I often have troubles sleeping at night.

I am not sleepy most of the time and average about 5 hours of sleep

But I often get up once or twice in the middle of the night and have a hard time to get back to sleep.

Any advice on any natural remedies to help me get to sleep faster and to stay asleep.

As you can see I am not sleeping yet :)

• Like 3

I take Melatonin because I do weird shift work. Its really helped with going to sleep and going back to sleep when I get up in the night.

Posted via Mobile Device

• Like 3

I used to just have occasional trouble falling asleep, but lately have spent whole nights "wide awake" ... I used to use St. John's Wort and have gone back to it but I'm not sure it is helping much ... I have sleeping pills, but am not supposed to use them more than 2 or 3 days in a row ... I've started using Melatonin on the non-sleeping-pill days, which I've used before on overnight flights to Europe, and it does seem to help quite a bit ... or LOL I just get drunk and pass out

Really good sex!

Also...

... a hot bath or shower

... herbal tea

... a walk, run or jog

... stay away from computers, the tv, or anything bright (brightness tricks your mind into thinking it's daytime and therefore tries to keep you awake and alert)

... read something super boring or listen to slow music (I like ambient, downtempo and chillout stuff)

... meditate

... breathing exercises

• Like 1

I've used melatonin and I have to say its great to get your sleep cycle back on track....i however only use it before midnight as I've heard that any later and you could be encouraging your body to get into the habit of having a later sleep cycle....I could be wrong tho. I could definitely use it now at 4am....this is what i get for having a nap this afternoon |:(

• Like 1

im so in need of help sleeping as well mist nights i stay wide awake trying to sleep in bed it seems like i only fall asleep when the sun id on the way up :(. i nice bottle of wine will put me to sleep but i can do that every day ! i have tried counting , warm sleepy tea , silence and darkness,running and yoga all to no avail :(

xoxoox

Kaylee

• Like 1

I use Melatonin 5 nights a week, wednesday through friday I take it half an hour before I get off work @630am on saturday sunday I take it at 11pm when I get off work. My days off I don't take it and haven't seen any change in my sleep pattern, it just helps me fall asleep way quicker, have a deeper sleep and if I wake up go back to sleep sooner but I have done some research into it and at the very least it can

effect people in different ways or not at all.

Posted via Mobile Device

• Like 1

i always have trouble sleeping, i work 12 hour shift and in the same week i work days and night. my sleep pattern is all screwed up. is should try melatonin, see if it works for me

How much melantoin do you take.

I can see by the advice and timestamp

You guys and gals have the same problem :)

thanks for the advice.

Yeah we are the cool kids club of insomniacs or shift working insomniacs haha. I take 2, its the recommend dosage on the bottle.

Posted via Mobile Device

I am definitely a night owl and insomniac too. It does catch up with you.

I find the best sleep I have is when I've had good sleep......in other words, getting good sleep promotes more good sleep. Being up too late and gettting strung out just makes it worse.

Also, and this always works, a few good weeks of hard labour every day and I can't help but sleep at night! My body just takes over. So get yourself a pile of dirt or gravel and finish off that big project you've been thinking about...shovel, dig, hammer, lift.....and you'll sleep, I promise!

• Like 1

I am certified in Reflexology, we use 4 points. In the center of the palm and center of the ball of the foot. This activates the rest and repair parasymapathiec system, allowing the adrenail glad to stop over working( fight and flight) Breath deep breath in as you press these points.work all 4 points. There are a varity of natural remidies to take as well, visit your local store to inquire which is best for you, some may cause nightmares tho:(

• Like 1

I take Melatonin because I do weird shift work. Its really helped with going to sleep and going back to sleep when I get up in the night.

Posted via Mobile Device

Yes, I used to take melatonin as well when I worked weird hours when I was younger. Just be careful because it is easy to become dependant on it but it is not as bad as Nytol. I used to take those and would sometimes literally have to slap myself in the face to wake up because I felt so buzzed after taking them. Getting through the day after taking sleeping pills was a nightmare. Not a good feeling!

Okay, so like, when exactly are you coming to O-town??

I am certified in Reflexology, we use 4 points. In the center of the palm and center of the ball of the foot. This activates the rest and repair parasymapathiec system, allowing the adrenail glad to stop over working( fight and flight) Breath deep breath in as you press these points.work all 4 points. There are a varity of natural remidies to take as well, visit your local store to inquire which is best for you, some may cause nightmares tho:(
  • Like 1

A few other options are 1) tart cherry juice (4 oz drink twice daily or just one in the evening)

2) valerian.. natures wonderful relaxing 'valerian'

3) a combo herbal with hops, chamomile, valerian, scullcap (scutellaria), lemonbalm or a few others

4) be sure to not have caffeine after noon!

5) make sure all lights are off and all electronic equipment is off.. even a clock with l.e.d. lighting can trick your mind into believing it's daylight outside so cover it up.

6) be sure the temperature in the room is cool enough for sleeping

I personally love having lemonbalm, green tea and lavender soaps in my room and when I walk in I immediately feel like I'm in a spa and want to relax.

• Like 3

I have lots of trouble falling asleep, if I let it get away from me I will end up staying up until the sun is up - then I really start to get anxiety!

I have sleeping pills but again, I try not to take them all the time. I also use "Sleep-eze" or "Sleepytime." They are a sleep-aid but are non-habit forming. They are basically old school antihistamines that will make you drowsy. If you take it too late though you will be drowsy the next day (I find.)

I've never tried the other remedies like cherry juice - that's interesting, why does it work?

Caffeine is a huge factor for me, I definitely can't have any coffee in the afternoon or caffeinated pop or else I will be up for sure....

Alcohol disturbs sleep as well. It may help you "fall asleep", but the quality of the sleep is not as good. It interrupts with the body regeneration process that is supposed to accompany sleep.

I find that when I get little or no exercise throughout the day, I don't sleep well. Anxiety is most often the root of the problem, even if you don't think you're worrying about anything. Exercise helps a lot - even 15 minutes.

• Like 1

Two words...

Sleep Clinic.

Not everyone needs 8 hours of sleep, if you feel rested when you wake up that's all that really matters.

If you don't, you should see a doctor.

There seems to be an awful lot of self medicating going on in this thread, (which I don't totally disagree with,) but self medicating can be dangerous, even with natural items.

Sleepeze can be very dangerous for the heart, and St John's Wort, when taken improperly (like with wine or cheese) can lead to an increase in blood pressure.

I hope everyone's playing as safe with the OTCs as they do with sex. ;)

• Like 3

A really boring book, here is a list of the top ten most boring-est books

Moby Dick

Paper Chaser

The Twilight Sage

The Scarlet Letter

The Bible

Heart of Darkness

Bleak House

Look Homeward

Babbit

Wheel Of Time

And thanks to a few inventors, sleep can come easy according to inventorspot.com you are not alone and have multiple ways to help catch more zzz's with everything from a snore backpack to a floating bed(magnetic).http://inventorspot.com/inventive_ways_to_sleep

Really weird things to do include: Sing yourself a Lullaby like the good ol times, Rock yourself like a baby or curl your toes and hold for 7 seconds(just as puzzled as you)

Extraordinary methods include a little thing called Autoslumber, relaxing and talking to everypart of your body starting from your toes on up.

If you try hard to stay awake, and tell yourself to stay up, the sleepier you feel.

You could try the Deathbed method and imagine yourself as an actor in a play that is about to die and need to lay still until the curtain closes..

Play the palindrome game..pop racecar madam eye deed civic radar ect..

If all else fails, well..we are Canadians, we will find our resources..straight from B.C

Good Luck! ZZZZZZing

First thing they do at the sleep clinic is make you stay the night, with a thermometer up your ass. I've never been but I'm just saying.....

• Like 1

Really? Ick, that would be not nice.

There is a medication my father is on. He only takes it when needed, but what it does is: it helps to slow your thinking down, so that the hamster on the wheel doesnt keep running. It is not a sleeping pill, does not leave you drowsy the next day. For the type of person who cant settle their thoughts down, or can not acheive meditaion state, then it may help you. I am not sure of the name of this, I could find it for you. Then you can inquire with your doctor if it is good for you as wel. My father says it works like a charm!

A quick little hijack here.... I would strongly suggest that you DON'T take a sleeping pill and a laxative before you go to bed ;) Nope. That wouldn't be good.

I tried a few and they made me feel groggy the next day.

Are there any that you guys find work and does not make you feel bad

next day. I find most sleeping pills knock you out so that you do not

stare at the ceiling all night, but you don't dream so you don't get any REM sleep. You then wake up tired.

• Like 1

I don't feel groggy after taking Melatonin buuuuuuuuuut I also have a raging coffee addiction so that might have something to do with it, I've been prescribed tons of different sleeping pills

cause when I was younger I rarely slept and they always made me feel like a bag of smashed @§§holes the next day even with caffeine.

Posted via Mobile Device

Okay Okay we've heard it all meds, naturals, bubble baths and gimmicks... What ever happened to Plan A using BetsyLapalm, a good jerk off, pull of the piper, or wack off? Girls, a good rub-out, vibrating friend, veggies or dildo? If you have someone,commence plan B and do them.. If not plan A

is sure fire way to get you zzzz's!

Another great mystery solved by JuliasUndies, *taking a bow* *applauds*

Your welcome, Anytime my friend

• Like 1