Backpage.com pleads guilty to human trafficking

I argue this portion found in the link above:

"Taking down Backpage and obtaining a criminal conviction for the company and its CEO represents a significant victory in the fight against human trafficking in Texas and around the world," Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton ® said in a statement.

I fail to see this as a victory. Similar to how laws only pushed the industry underground, making it more dangerous for both sides of the industry, so to does the removal of Backpage. Canadian LE have long been saying that Backpage made it simpler to keep tabs on the industry, ie human trafficking and those underage. IMO, the removal of Backpage will only drive said issues more underground, making it more difficult to keep taps on. Besides the issues we had with Backpage, this is the true loss of Backpage being removed.

A few days ago there was a press conference at the White House of lady who was once trafficked thanking the US Government for removing Backpage. Indeed, her story is sad. IMO, what I find more sad is trafficking now being driven further underground and how worse it will become for those who will be trafficked in the future, underage or not. Only decriminalizing the industry will lessen human trafficking and those underage.

• Like 4

While I am very much against human traficking and underage exploitation of minors it would appear that this move is as much about the purist religious movement controlling the freedoms of the masses - If they think killing backpage will even slow down trafficking and underage exploitation they can think on...........

• Like 1