Bully Breed Restrictions in Winnipeg

So, it appears that Winnipeg has breed specific dog restrictions for those traveling through the city. You have to buy a license, can't stop (even to get gas), go straight though. Unbelievable. It appears that if they catch you, they will destroy your dog. What are your thoughts on this archaic law?

Its probably unfair but there are just too many stupid people in Winnipeg they had to do something. You do have to apply for a permit to transport a prohibited dog through the city didn't look like there was a charge for it also doesn't say anything about not being able to stop. The fine for not having a permit is $1000.00 nothing about destroying the dog if you're passing through town. You might want to actually do a little research but if not Winnipeg has a perimeter highway its very easy to drive around.

• Like 1

You are right Rexx. You need to get a permit - without a permit, the fine is $1500 ($750 with early payment). The reality is - I cannot stay in Winnipeg. I can take a risk - but is it worth it?

However, I'm hearing from some that if you are caught by the wrong officer, they can impound your dog, and then you face the fight of proving that your dog is not dangerous etc. Not worth the risk.

Yes, I will go around. However, the restrictions are actually all over the country. It's sad to see this. I've seen what dog owners who have no clue can do. I was at the park recently, and someone brought their 2 dogs in. Instead of making them enter the dog park respectfully, these dogs just charged in, and attacked a small fluff dog. The sounds this dog made will haunt me till the day I die. They didn't hurt the dog, but sure made the whole park go up on edge. The owners actually said they were just trying to play - but I knew these dogs had a high prey drive. I was proud of my girl - she listened to me and didn't jump in. If fact, she helped keep the other dogs away as she loves little dogs. I also learned how to properly break up a fight without getting bit. Just pick up the dogs hind legs, and wheel barrow them away. You have full control of the dog, and they can't hurt you.

I also found a great video of an alpha dog putting a hyper/uncontrolled dog in a down - he actually pushed the dog into a down and kept him there till he submitted. It was probably one of the most amazing videos I've ever seen.

• Like 2

Ugh this really sucks Meaghan. Brandon is probably your best bet for a stop - there are very few other places in Manitoba without breed-specific bylaws. While the odds are good that you won't have any issues, the possible consequences of taking the risk are high.

• Like 2

it seems like a strange law to have to prohibit visitors from having the banned breed. Personally i applaud the cities that are banning the breeds, they have a grandfather clause where if the dog is already there, it is ok, but they are stopping new ones from coming in.

i know the pro killer breed dog people always have a story about how gentle etc, but the fact is a yappy chihuahua isn't tearing apart babies' faces. and yes it is always the owners fault, but these are people who want to 'prove' they are alpha to killer dogs, so they do not train them to be sociable and they do take them places off leash and unmuzzled, so they can prove to everyone that they are more powerful than this breed of dog. And the fact is, they are not, and people suffer, and little dogs suffer because of their arrogance.

I have zero issue with the killer breeds in any city as long as they are always leashed and muzzled. an unleashed muzzled dog can't do as much damage as an unleashed unmuzzled one, that's the fact of it.

Why not just register your dog back home as a boxer cross? I've been told by someone in the vet industry in Winnipeg that they see a lot of pitbulls still, they're just now registered as boxer crosses.

• Like 2

Why not stop in St.Norbert or Headingly? There on the edge of Wpg but not considered the City of Wpg.

Posted via Mobile Device

• Like 1

I hate these restrictions too, although if I am traveling I very rarely bring my dog with me and have friends or family look after her while I am gone. I too own one of these breeds, she is so tame and gentle. A huge sucky baby ! I honestly don't like trouble or problems for me or my dog so generally we live where the breed is aloud and there are no bans or small bans of her just being leashed and muzzled in public but still allowed. It sucks sometimes but I don't want the hefty fines or trouble for my baby girl. Good luck ! nothing is worth the risk when it comes to your best friend, especially if it is a big risk and can be avoided :)

• Like 2

Winnipeg is the least of your problems. All of Ontario has the same law and are far more proactive about enforcing it. If you aren't willing to roll the dice than you should look at shipping your dog on an airline or driving through the states.

• Like 1

Yes there was an artical in yeasterdays Winnipeg Freepress of a couple stuck in Brandon traveling frrom Fort Mac.

Can't fly the dog out of winnipeg and can't drive threw Ont.

I would say you better fly your dog from there or you will be SOL.

• Like 2

I am assuming I know which breed of dog it is you speak of, and it pisses me off that Manitoba laws are so archaic. I rescued a dog from a Northern MB Reserve that seems to have some of this certain breed in him, and he has been nothing but an amazing pup with great training thus far. I hate to hear of your troubles thus far and wish you the best in your travels.

• Like 1

I think Winnipeg bans pit bulls because they attack and kill so many people, kids, and other animals.

I am pretty sure the breed was invented for fighting.

You should probably just get a regular dog and leave the dangerous ones for the gangs and criminals.

• Like 1

Dogs are what their owners teach them to be, I have never came across a mean Pit Bull in all of my travels, in fact any that I have came across have been very well behaved dogs and a few that were dogs that love to cuddle and be treated like babies, my Rotti falls in the same class a big baby. Its like painting all Races with the same brush.

• Like 1

I think Winnipeg bans pit bulls because they attack and kill so many people, kids, and other animals.

You should probably just get a regular dog and leave the dangerous ones for the gangs and criminals.

Unfortunately, too many people think this way. Pitbulls cause so many deaths and injuries. But, like the gun lobby, the argument is pitbulls don't kill people, pitbulls trained by people to be bad kill people. The pitbulls involved in deaths are usually involved in dogfighting, and a abused to the point of being dangerous. The people that get killed are those involved as well, and sometimes their family or neighbors.

The vast majority of bully breeds are not subjected to the maltreatment and abuse that creates the vicious dog. The vast majority would never hurt a fly.

Winnipeg does have a vicious dog by-law, which is not breed specific. Chihuahua to Great Dane, if your dog is a threat to people or animals, it can be dealt with by the authorities. So there is absolutely no need for a breed specific ban.

Breed specific bans are based on looks, not actions. Which is not fair. Especially to those bully breeds that get rescued and need good, kind homes. Those people that want these dogs cannot have them. sad for both, really.

• Like 2

Pit Bulls get such a bad rap because of their history and how they have unfortunately been misused.

I have met many great Pit Bulls, and in fact my recent rescue has some Pit in him and is an amazing smart loving dog. I sure wish they were not so misunderstood.

• Like 1

So your best bet is to stay outside of Winnipeg. Best western Headingly is an excellent hotel and was the site of one of my memorable SP trysts

• Like 1

Its that is the type of thinking (uneducated about dog breeds) that has created the problem of breed specific legislation. Pitties can be tenacious and courageous but their history is a farming one

Quebec is safe for the breed.

I had a dna test done on my mix as she did look a little like a pittie - but turns out she was a rotti-doberman. if it had come back the other way - I would have burned the results lol

• Like 1

Thank you everyone for your advice. All I know is - Winnipeg will never get my tourist dollars while they have this archaic law on the books. I have no respect for those that have dangerous dogs, but the law does not need to be breed specific. It needs to concentrate on those that have dangerous dogs.

Most people do not really know what a pit bull is - even within the dog community - so, Mastiffs, Bull Dogs, Labs, Sheppards, Huskey's Rotti, etc are lumped into the category, but the Media likes to create a big heading and they always read "PIT BULL". So, instead of creating legislation about specific breeds, we need to concentrate on dangerous dogs and hold owners legally responsible for their dogs. Even the listing of dog attacks listed previously - the dogs were mixed breeds - So, why not ban labs or huskies or Mastiffs or Bull Dogs? The reality is - its not the breed - but the owner not recognizing the warning signs and protecting others. I've seen owners of various breeds say "oh, she just wants to play", but reality is - the dog is show positive signs of aggression. These are non-bully breeds I am referring to.

For the purpose of this website, we've used the generic term 'pit bull' to describe our dogs, even though there is no proper definition for pit bull. Recent research including DNA analysis by Dr. Victoria Voith and others has proven that dogs commonly identified as pit bulls are quite often a mix of multiple breeds, so breed identification by appearance alone is now considered to be inaccurate and misleading. The conundrum is a good one though, because it frees us up to look at these incredibly popular dogs as a fascinating American phenomena rather than an identifiable item with fixed genetics, behaviors and definable features. Welcome to our exploration of the enigmatic pit bull! - See more at: http://www.badrap.org/breed-history#sthash.84PRGakk.dpuf

http://www.badrap.org/breed-history

Its sad that so many seem to have blinders on when it comes to dogs. In the end, they are the ones that are put in unsafe situations. Punks that want a dangerous dog - and think that by mistreating them they will become even more dangerous, or by chaining them outside with no socialization. These dogs just become unstable.

Please, spay/neuter your dog - there are too many in shelters and euthanized each year. If you can't have a dog, please support the shelters and rescues. There is still more to be done - and if you disagree with your local by-law - let your city know.

• Like 1

I think they ban pit bulls because they are the breed killing everyone. They don't ban Husky's and labs because they are not killing people. Why did you want a fighting dog in the first place? Why are these dogs still bred?

I think they ban pit bulls because they are the breed killing everyone. They don't ban Husky's and labs because they are not killing people. Why did you want a fighting dog in the first place? Why are these dogs still bred?

Mosesmalone - you and I have very different opinions on this. Maybe you are having difficulty reading the part I said "I am a foster failure". I rescued this girl from a very bad situation. She was in danger of being sold to a dog fighter as a bait dog at worst, or turned into a breeding dog at best, and I couldn't stand by and watch. I agree there are some really bad people out there who take a perfectly great dog and turn them into fighting machines. However, it is not the breed - it is the conditioning they are given. Put on heavy chains, left outside with no socialization, not given any vet care, backyard breeding to have litter after litter. These statements go to many different dog breeds. Not just pit bulls - however, the press only gives sensational headlines - and currently pit bulls are the attention grabbing title that works. It used to be Rottweilers, Sheppards, etc. Right now it is pit bulls. Even your article (which by the way, is in poor form to not include a link to what you are quoting), is in error as the dogs in question are all mixed breeds. I looked into them - again, it is the press using the headline to sensationalize the title.

My girl was spayed as soon as the vet said she was ready, she is given regular medical care, socializations with other dogs and people. She is a cat whisperer - when I bring in a stray cat to rescue, she helps them feel safe. She adores everyone, listens to me 100%, and adores me as well.

I have rescued many dogs and cats in my life. They are given proper vet care, spayed/neutered, out of my own pocket. Some are re-homed, some live out their life with me. All are saved from a life of neglect and abuse. Please, understand that just because you are only getting your information from a poorly defined search, you are not getting the whole picture of the issues surrounding this. There are many of us that are actually putting our money where our mouth is to fix the problem of back yard breeding, neglect and abuse.

If you would like to contribute something helpful to this conversation, I would appreciate it. However, your inability to understand what I am saying, is not helpful and quite frankly offensive.

The issue is not the breed - but the wording of legislation that does not actually fix the issue. Yes, we need to protect others from dangerous dogs. Period. However, making it breed specific does not actually fix the issue. I know dogs that look exactly like Labs - but are not. So everyone goes - oh, what a beautiful Lab. Then the Boxer who is a purebred Boxer, someone says "oh, thats a Pit Bull. Its not a Pit Bull, it's a Boxer. I suspect most don't know the distinction between the various breeds.

34699w0.jpg

Thank you everyone for your advice. All I know is - Winnipeg will never get my tourist dollars while they have this archaic law on the books. I have no respect for those that have dangerous dogs, but the law does not need to be breed specific. It needs to concentrate on those that have dangerous dogs.

Most people do not really know what a pit bull is - even within the dog community - so, Mastiffs, Bull Dogs, Labs, Sheppards, Huskey's Rotti, etc are lumped into the category, but the Media likes to create a big heading and they always read "PIT BULL". So, instead of creating legislation about specific breeds, we need to concentrate on dangerous dogs and hold owners legally responsible for their dogs. Even the listing of dog attacks listed previously - the dogs were mixed breeds - So, why not ban labs or huskies or Mastiffs or Bull Dogs? The reality is - its not the breed - but the owner not recognizing the warning signs and protecting others. I've seen owners of various breeds say "oh, she just wants to play", but reality is - the dog is show positive signs of aggression. These are non-bully breeds I am referring to.

For the purpose of this website, we've used the generic term 'pit bull' to describe our dogs, even though there is no proper definition for pit bull. Recent research including DNA analysis by Dr. Victoria Voith and others has proven that dogs commonly identified as pit bulls are quite often a mix of multiple breeds, so breed identification by appearance alone is now considered to be inaccurate and misleading. The conundrum is a good one though, because it frees us up to look at these incredibly popular dogs as a fascinating American phenomena rather than an identifiable item with fixed genetics, behaviors and definable features. Welcome to our exploration of the enigmatic pit bull! - See more at: http://www.badrap.org/breed-history#sthash.84PRGakk.dpuf

http://www.badrap.org/breed-history

Its sad that so many seem to have blinders on when it comes to dogs. In the end, they are the ones that are put in unsafe situations. Punks that want a dangerous dog - and think that by mistreating them they will become even more dangerous, or by chaining them outside with no socialization. These dogs just become unstable.

Please, spay/neuter your dog - there are too many in shelters and euthanized each year. If you can't have a dog, please support the shelters and rescues. There is still more to be done - and if you disagree with your local by-law - let your city know.

I think Winnipeg is the least of your worries......how you going to get across Ontario as well??

• Like 1

Lol. Really. When was the last child killed by a dog in Manitoba? Wasn't by a bully breed, it was by a malamute. So, you can forget your stereotype.

They aren't fighting dogs any more than a pug or an english bulldog is. Chows are far more dangerous and unpredictable. Problem is that idiots make bully's fight. They abuse them and beat them into fighters. Any breed could be made into a fighting dog treated the same way.

pitbull-with-rabbbit.jpg

• Like 2