Barter/Exchange? Does it happen?

Hi all, I'm looking to hear from some ladies regarding exchange/bartering. Does this happen? I would imagine not often but are there providers out there who would consider a mutually benefiting aragnement?

I'll use myself as an example, so massage is what I do, it's how I make my living so needless to say I'm legit and know what I'm doing. I'm not some guy that would just rub someone, it would be a real service but this is beside the point. I'm more curious as to whether this is something that a provider would maybe consider of an exchange of service (within reason of course). Maybe I'm out of line? Not sure but I'm curious and apologize in advance if I am. I'm throwing this out there publicly to see, I'm not comfortable asking ladies about it as again I'm not sure how it would be perceived..... I don't want to be THAT guy lol Anyways I'd love to hear some thoughts/feedback as I'm sure everyone has a little different take on this.

There is different ways to look at this. Mostly, you will be turned away. I've gotten texts saying, "you should be paying me for the massage." Well, sorry but where is your ad again?

If someone was willing to pay everything, drivers test, drivers school, a new/used car, I would barter. Those things aren't cheap to do.

If someone was willing to pay for courses at the College for me and text books, I would barter. Also known as a Sugar Daddy.

If someone wanted to see me X amount of times during the month and offered to pay my rent at the beginning of the month and all my other bills, I would consider bartering. But that would depend. Also known as a Sugar Daddy.

It honestly depends.

Bartering for a massage because you do them, doesn't get you anywhere. You can be posting ads and making a profit if you want that so why would you be contacting SPs? I find it annoying that those drivers and massage people contact me, as if I would reply. If I needed a driver I would find one myself, if I needed a Professional Massage I will go get it done professionally.

Another thing to consider, if you are licensed and get caught doing sexual services your license will be revoked and there goes your license. Why risk that only to be with SPs?

In the realm of my work, if a barter was brought to the table it better be a damn good barter.

• Like 7

Hi all:

I am a professional photographer, and of course I shoot all folks, anywhere. I have my own studio. I've been offered "barter" from some provider's whose portfolio's I've created, but as a "virgin Newbie" I've yet to take anyone up on the offer. Not sure I want word to get out in the industry that I'm available for that type of barter. It's hard to pay the mortgage with that, maybe if my loans officer wanted a lot of photography work done....

Of course it's very tempting, esp. the women who are not the least bit shy and change in front of me. Really hard to pose these lovely ladies without showing my physical interest. Thanks to my loose fit levi's I can get away with it.

Bartering as a first contact will most likely get shot down. Sorry, but I charge much more then my massage therapist, so, in order for a barter to work, there has to be an even exchange that works for both.

However, if a regular were to propose a barter for something I wanted, I might be open to that. I had one that would plow my yard - that was his tip for my services - he still paid my rate. I tried to give him money back, but he wouldn't take it, so I would give him extra time, but he was always so busy in the winter, he couldn't stay longer anyways. I had one want to help me with renovations, but I felt weird with that as he would be in my personal space for along time, and I was not comfortable with that at that time. I've had so many contact me for photo's - I look on their website, and really, I wouldn't pay for their services as they don't seem to have an eye for this type of photography. They might be ok at wedding photography, but boudoir is a totally different type of photography.

That said, there are some who do accept barters - not to be confused with negotiating - that is never acceptable in my opinion. Just never as a first contact though.

• Like 4

I've seen some bartering work. I know one lady that had a car repaired in exchange for her time and a few similar things. Asking to barter massage for service just sounds like a scam (and I used to be an RMT). I doubt you will get any takers on this.

sorry

Guest S****r

I have exchanged services a couple of times, but only for a very expensive service that I could not do myself--such as electrical work by a licensed electrician and house painting. I would never do it for massage, I get lots of great massages already from clients as part of our dates.

This is all good to know, like I said from the beginning I more or less was just curious and wanted to see some different opinions, I respect and welcome everyone's points. Definitely not out to scam anyone or lose my license (which I am well aware of). So I would never mix work and sexual favors, I was just using it as an example as I've heard of this kind of thing before, I wasn't expecting anything honestly. Again, thanks to everyone for commenting.

It seems so much more simple to exchange money for time.

If a client has a certain skill set that gives him money, use it to make money and use that money to buy time with a companion

Hypothetical, lets say a lady has car problems and says to a prospective client fix it and an hour date in exchange. Turns out the problem is a simple fix, maybe a 10 minute job. Is it fair to get an hours time from a lady for that

Or what if the repair job doesn't work, and the car has continued problems after the encounter...what sort of warranty guarantee comes with bartering, if that makes sense

All that said if a companion and client can mutually agree on a mutually beneficial bartering arrangement it's up to them and only them to decide if this is an acceptable method of payment

Me, besides not having barterable skills LOL, I prefer the old fashion way, money for time and companionship

A rambling

RG

• Like 1

Guest B**a0**9

Being in the trades, my opinion is that it would just be cheaper to go with money...by the time you factor in the hourly rate you normally bill out and any parts needed...chances are you would be on the short end of that stick...Unless the service is that good [emoji14]

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk

I exchanged services a few times. I am a qualified personal nutritional and exercise sports specific coach, and have exchanged my services for a few ladies' services. My rates hover between 160 and 260 an hour, so it usually works that we exchange hour for hour. Never an issue, and all parties have always found our 'deals' to be quite beneficial.

I was asked to provide a service for an event a lady was hosting. We agreed upon an exchange of services. I upheld my end, but the lady has yet to repay the favour. Love and learn, I guess.

I am sure that with the right two individuals this could work extremely well but It's not something I have or would try...I kinda think in this business the simplicity of x dollars per hour for her time works best in the long run.

Now I might have that opinion because my employment does not really offer much opportunity for a barter lolol and I want to justify the money I spend lol.

Guest **oo**e

The trick with effective bartering is to provide a service/good which has a nominal cost to you in return for a service/good which has a much higher value to you. For example it would be nothing for me to shovel or blow out a provider's driveway in return for an hour or two time. To the provider offering a pleasurable hour or two of services may be a great trade-off to avoid having to spend an hour or two in the cold shoveling her driveway.

In other words if it is a win-win it makes total sense.

The trick with effective bartering is to provide a service/good which has a nominal cost to you in return for a service/good which has a much higher value to you. For example it would be nothing for me to shovel or blow out a provider's driveway in return for an hour or two time. To the provider offering a pleasurable hour or two of services may be a great trade-off to avoid having to spend an hour or two in the cold shoveling her driveway.

For it to be a win win in my opinion it would be for both parties to be putting up something of equivalent value... it's a non cash transaction but hopefully both parties are putting up something that would carry the same value if the service or good was being sold... the cost of the service to the provider is irrelevant it's the retail value that matters... the guy who actually provides snowclearing does not value the service based on its cost to provide but instead by its value at the retail level so $300 worth of snow clearing at the retail level would be worth $300 worth of a ladies time at the retail rate.

Just my Opinion

• Like 1

Guest **oo**e
For it to be a win win in my opinion it would be for both parties to be putting up something of equivalent value... it's a non cash transaction but hopefully both parties are putting up something that would carry the same value if the service or good was being sold... the cost of the service to the provider is irrelevant it's the retail value that matters... the guy who actually provides snowclearing does not value the service based on its cost to provide but instead by its value at the retail level so $300 worth of snow clearing at the retail level would be worth $300 worth of a ladies time at the retail rate.

Just my Opinion

What you describe is merely a break even.

A win win is where rather than spend 2 hours shovelling her driveway a provider provides a 1 hr session, and on top of that she enjoys it. She's saved herself an hour of her time. For it to be a win win for the client he gets a $300 session in return and only has to give up 1 hr of his time where he either typically only gets paid minimum wage or he shovels her driveway on his free time.

My plow driver charges me $25 a plow. So, no, I wouldn't give him 1 or 2 hours of my time. I'd rather do a call for my rate, and pay someone to plow my driveway. However, as I posted earlier, one of my regulars was a plow driver, and he would plow my driveway as a tip on top of my fees. He sometimes swung by and plowed because he was in the area, even though we didn't have an appointment. I loved that about him, and even though he always paid for an hour, and I tried numerous times to tell him he only needed to pay for 30 minutes, as he was typically in and out in under 30 minutes. In the summer though, he wasn't as busy, so would stay the hour, and I would give him extra time no questions asked if he wanted it. It was a mutually beneficial arrangement.

The point is, he understood my fees, didn't try to haggle my rates by saying "I'll plow you, if you let me plow you too".

I miss him, but not the snow!

Guest **oo**e
My plow driver charges me $25 a plow. So, no, I wouldn't give him 1 or 2 hours of my time. I'd rather do a call for my rate, and pay someone to plow my driveway. However, as I posted earlier, one of my regulars was a plow driver, and he would plow my driveway as a tip on top of my fees. He sometimes swung by and plowed because he was in the area, even though we didn't have an appointment. I loved that about him, and even though he always paid for an hour, and I tried numerous times to tell him he only needed to pay for 30 minutes, as he was typically in and out in under 30 minutes. In the summer though, he wasn't as busy, so would stay the hour, and I would give him extra time no questions asked if he wanted it. It was a mutually beneficial arrangement.

The point is, he understood my fees, didn't try to haggle my rates by saying "I'll plow you, if you let me plow you too".

I miss him, but not the snow!

Well there is a market for it. I saw an ad on Backpages last week right after the storm. It featured a photo of a provider's driveway. She offered a free hour to the first gentleman to show up and shovel her driveway.

I had seen this lady in the past...she approached me for my service, which had a value of $260 + hst. I suggested an exchange, to which she agreed. Seemed like a win-win. Until she welched on her end. And I delivered said device to her home address. So could be a jerk about it, but will respect her privacy...

• Like 1

Just my Opinion

I take your point, however everyone values things differently and participates differently at the retail level. Lots of people drop a small fortune on their cell phone plan and cable fees and I find little value in either. I think the barter/exchange is more closely connected to the value the participating parties put on the service than the service's 'retail' value.

I know I've seen on cerb in the past ladies offering services/discounts for snow clearing services.

I take your point, however everyone values things differently and participates differently at the retail level. Lots of people drop a small fortune on their cell phone plan and cable fees and I find little value in either. I think the barter/exchange is more closely connected to the value the participating parties put on the service than the service's 'retail' value.

I know I've seen on cerb in the past ladies offering services/discounts for snow clearing services.

Point taken but as Meaghan has said if the retail rate for snow clearing is $25 or $50 for a drive way... or even $100 per drive way then it would be reasonable to assume that snow clearing would be done till it reached the hourly rate the lady regularly charged.

• Like 2

Guest B**a0**9

As long as it balances and each party is happy with the deal is the main thing. Personally I wouldn't have an issue putting in a new ac or furnace in lieu of payment, but that would obviously need multiple visits to 'break even' or be satisfied with the deal. And it's not something I would personally go out of my way offering to someone I've never met since that would be a really tacky first impression in my opinion

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk

I traded a free half hour in exchange for someone to hang two sets of curtains, a mirror and some other handy-work I couldn't do myself because the walls/ceiling are concrete. I needed the work done and trading my services for it was the easiest way to make it happen.

But I've refused every barter offer a client has made, especially if that's their intro. It's rude and in the same category as rate negotiation, IMO.

Plus, I have sweet benefits and massages are covered. I'm certainly not about to trade for something I can get for free.

• Like 1

I own a garage and I have been offered barter for my services. But the thing is that it makes the accounting tricky when there are parts involved. Further more, it is very difficult to be fair for both parties. The way I would do it is to simply bill the work and deduct or cover the difference with the rate of time spent. I thinks that is the only way I would feel good about it.

I hate having a feeling of being short changed and I would not feel good if the other party feels that way.