Living in a bad area, should I move?

Hello fellow members,

I live in an area that is well known for crime although my street has been relatively safe there has been stigma attached to the area. I have lost potential clients once I told them the area. I am not sure if it would be worth the investment to move or not to a nicer area. I'm really not in the financial situation to move either.

Has anyone had any experience with this and how did you handle it? Thank you!

I think that it depends a lot upon who your clients are (and who you want them to be), how they get there, and what else there is. I must hobby during business hours, so I am slightly limited where I want to go and how I can get there. As I don't drive to work, if I have to travel somewhere that can only be reached be car, then I have to book a vrtucar --- Uber has made this situation somewhat better. Neighbourhoods with "stigma" attached often also have poor transit options: there are lots of urban studies that explain that.

It matters if there is a risk my transport could get damaged. There is also the situation of why one was in the neighbourhood at all... so it's definitely nice if there is a lot of other reasons to be in that area. [consider even a fender bender in a parking lot].

However, I frankly care more about the building, about the number of people coming and going: if I'm the only person all day, if I'm significantly differently dressed than others, or if my age is significantly different. I assume the lobby is under surveillance, but that nobody would bother looking unless there was a reason, so I'd prefer to look like I belong. One MP I saw recently is in a building which I think is otherwise aimed at seniors, and I'm not that age.

• Like 1

If moving is your last resort, you could maybe consider outcalls options. If you don't have a car, you could adjust your rates to cover the Taxi/Uber or give clients the option of picking you up and bring you back.

It's not perfect, but could help you until you can afford to move somewhere a bit nicer.

If you are not in a position to move financially,maybe you could share a space with another SP and pay half the rent or by the appointment? I have done that in the past when I did not wish to use my own home and it worked out well. Before that I also used to use hotels on specific days when I would host incalls and precooked but nowadays it would be a better option to find an SP to share with or pay by each appt. I would suggest requesting access to the SP area if you are not already a member.

• Like 4

I live on a street where some consider it a "bad area". I owned my home before I offered services. When I started I was given a bit of resistance as you describe . I also have a nice place that I was always confident in spite of geography. When eyebrows rose at my location I told them to expect nothing but the best and I believed in myself.

Of course I lost some people as well. That never mattered to me. Why would I want someone in my place that judged me? I have long time guests that visit and now am pretty well know for a clean, organized and safe space.

I don't know your personal circumstances but if possible I think its better to stay if you are happy . Decide on who and what you want. If you work hard you will succeed anywhere.

There is another house on my street where bad shenanigans are going on . Guys just drive right past that house and park here.

• Like 5

I think it depends on your 'office hours'.

If you work days, it's less of an issue hosting in a sketchy neighbourhood.

After dark, it would be a completely different matter. imo

I think it depends on how long you want to be in the industry and if you are trying to be a top independent provider in your area. If you want to stick around awhile I think moving is a great idea. You already know you will be busier so it won't be a big financial hit in the long run.

Providing an undoubtedly safe, mid to high-end incall experience will make this more enjoyable for both you and your clients.

If you are just wanting to be a provider for a year or less, you are probably fine where you are if you are happy there.

When determining how much I want to spend on expenses including my incall location, I pick how much I can make in a week. Then you have 3 weeks of the month for saving/goals/life.

That's just my take. Best of luck!

Guest MontyChrista7

Hello just wanted to chime in.

If you set your place up nicely and take pics of your working area (office), post them with your ads then potential clients wont feel so hesitant. Also reassure them them your place is safe despite the stigma of the neighborhood.. Then save up and move to a better part of town. Hope this helps.

Its always good to try and reassure the clients as alot of them have had subpar experiences in their past.

Good luck :)