Sydney man guilty in sex case (Sydney, Nova Scotia)

No! That's not good. How awful.

Indeed... However street prostitution carries the most risk, or so it would seem. On a related note, when are the Liberals finally going to get around to reviewing C-36?

Indeed... However street prostitution carries the most risk, or so it would seem. On a related note, when are the Liberals finally going to get around to reviewing C-36?

Did the Liberals say they would review C36? (Sounds like something they would say, but I don't remember if we ever got a straight answer about such.)

As I have posted on a recent thread:

Nothing will change until we protest, unite, collect funds for legal representation and fight for the cause like the marijuana campaign has in the past.

By July 1st of this year, the marijuana campaign for legalization in Canada will have success.

What are WE waiting for???

As I have posted on a recent thread:

Nothing will change until we protest, unite, collect funds for legal representation and fight for the cause like the marijuana campaign has in the past.

By July 1st of this year, the marijuana campaign for legalization in Canada will have success.

What are WE waiting for???

I hereby nominate you as our official spokesperson! lol

I hereby nominate you as our official spokesperson! lol

Someone does need to step up, be that person, to at least try to initiate a major group movement. I wouldn't be scared to be that person but who am I? I am but your average punter wanting to see more progress and greater steps made towards the legalization of the sex industry. I'm sure there are others who would like to see this as well.

Someone does need to step up, be that person, to at least try to initiate a major group movement.

I don't envy the people who try to do such, not in the least!

One problem with trying to speak for 'the industry' is that it's not a united front.

There are so many different types of people involved at so many different levels.. How could one person properly, fairly or accurately represent all of them?

Especially when we have different ideas of what the outcome should be.

(For example; I'm not one for legalization, I think New Zealand's decriminalization model would be better- but that's a whole other topic, lol.)

I don't envy the people who try to do such, not in the least!

One problem with trying to speak for 'the industry' is that it's not a united front.

There are so many different types of people involved at so many different levels.. How could one person properly, fairly or accurately represent all of them?

I completely agree.

That type of leadership would have to be a committee in order to better represent a larger number of those involved in the industry.

I also agree that in order for this cause to ever gain serious momentum there is one major problem right form the get-go. There are too many who won't want to fight for the cause. Either because they are in a committed relationship, wouldn't want friend/family to know/find out and that many punters hold a place in society or position at work that they would not want to jeopardize. The fact is that the taboo associated with the sex industry is its worst enemy!

An argument for legalizing marijuana was that it would take away money from dealers and gangs. Wouldn't decriminalizing or legalizing the sex industry take away money from pimps and human traffickers? Of course it would!

Ironic, isn't it? The constitutional challenge brought forth by Bedford et. al. though well intentioned, ended up having a very negative impact on the industry as a whole. I would posit that we are now much worse off, as paying for sex is now illegal, where it wasn't before. The main issues are that no one really wants to come forward and challenge C-36, for reasons mentioned by a previous poster above. Further compounding the issue is the fact that there exists a stigma toward the adult entertainment industry due to a lack of education. Society is apt to believe the depictions most readily seen on tv, movies etc. which does nothing to advocate for our cause or push it forward. I sincerely doubt the that the current government will do anything meaningful with respect to changing C-36 as it's not in their best interests politically. (E.g. it's too much of a hot potato, making for bad optics). Finally, even if another court challenge is launched, it would take years to wind itself through the judicial system. I hate to say it, but it looks as though we will be stuck with this oppressive law for the foreseeable future... I hope I'm wrong.

drlove

I can't disagree with what you are saying. What you say is very true.

What I'm having a hard time to swallow or accept is that this seems to be the general mentality. Yet it's what we cannot afford to continue doing. When the marijuana movement for change started, many believed what we think of the sex industry now. Marijuana also had negative views from the public. It was negatively portrayed in movies and on television.

What I'm trying to say is, eventually people who wanted a change for marijuana actually decided to do something. No, it didn't happen overnight but with hard work and dedication by many it will all finally lead to success in Canada this year.

I tend to be a realist in life. Am I being overly optimistic with my thoughts on this matter? Is decriminalizing the sex industry in the future a pipedream? I'm sure that people in the past felt the same about the marijuana cause, it was a hot potato for politicians, but look at it now!

drlove

I can't disagree with what you are saying. What you say is very true.

What I'm having a hard time to swallow or accept is that this seems to be the general mentality. Yet it's what we cannot afford to continue doing. When the marijuana movement for change started, many believed what we think of the sex industry now. Marijuana also had negative views from the public. It was negatively portrayed in movies and on television.

What I'm trying to say is, eventually people who wanted a change for marijuana actually decided to do something. No, it didn't happen overnight but with hard work and dedication by many it will all finally lead to success in Canada this year.

I tend to be a realist in life. Am I being overly optimistic with my thoughts on this matter? Is decriminalizing the sex industry in the future a pipedream? I'm sure that people in the past felt the same about the marijuana cause, it was a hot potato for politicians, but look at it now!

True, but the question I ask is this: Would you be willing to forego your anonymity on this board and become the national posterboy for decriminalization? I suspect the answer to that question would be the same for most hobbyists. The sad truth of the matter is one would be instantly ostracized by the majority of society, and it would be an uphill battle. I'm not saying it's impossible to do, just that the negative repercussions would be severe. I'd hazard a guess and say that the majority of us enjoy a relatively privileged existence, and hence the financial means to participate in this community. Moreover, some of us have significant others with whom we have formed an important bond. When one ponders whether to dive into the fray, they must ask themselves the fundamental question of whether or not it's worth the risk of losing it all once things move into the public sphere. It's that intrinsic fear which keeps the majority of us silent.

I think I'm not in the norm of people who wouldn't be willing to risk it.

To be specific and answer your question, I would do it. The only things holding me back are that I'm just an average punter so noone knows me and the fact that I just wouldn't know where or how to start. I would need guidance/advice.

• Like 1

To be specific and answer your question, I would do it. The only things holding me back are that I'm just an average punter so noone knows me and the fact that I just wouldn't know where or how to start. I would need guidance/advice.

Interesting... unfortunately I'm not that well versed on the ins and outs of what's involved. I believe someone posted that an individual would first have to be charged with an offense in order to have standing when it comes to actually mounting a challenge. In the case of Bedford, she was charged with operating a common bawdy house. She hired a lawyer (Alan Young) who agreed to take on the case pro bono. She had the fortitude to see it through all the way to the SCC, but thanks to the Conservatives, her win turned into a major setback for the industry. Perhaps someone could provide you with specifics on where to begin and what's involved.

DITTO.

F.S. {Fuck Société}

Rrroarrr