Social interaction with women. Some men have taken on a strict protocol. U.S. Vice President Pence has given his views:

The Pence rule: "...he does not eat alone with women who are not his wife or attend an event without her if alcohol will be served."

In light of the Metoo movement, this is likely an incendiary topic. I get that infractions and abuse abounds. We're all well aware this is a sensitive topic and most everyone has a story. This thread is not about social injustice - it's more about what you think should happen. Here goes.

The Pence rule can be finessed (to a ridiculous degree) of course. Are they valid rules of engagement in all social situations. Do you Agree or Disagree with the fundamentals of his rule?

Well the Pence rule definitely finesses out the newly single guys like me!

I just plan to be respectful, clear in communication and a gentleman. I'm fully in charge of and responsible for my actions.

• Like 1

Rules are only good if applied. And as we seen since Pence accepted the position, his strong Christian values and evangelical principles have been flexible enough to tie a noose around his neck. Something that will seriously haunt him if Trump is impeached.

A man willing to step on his own integrity for power, will throw everyone under the bus including his own family. Better having no rules with a healthy lifestyle, than looking like an hypocrite by violating your own principles.

When I deal with the opposite sex in my workplace, I make sure it's always in an area where there are other people and/or which is monitored by video surveillance. I NEVER have one-on-one meetings with women; my employer understands this and thankfully has my back on this issue.

To be honest, I think Mike Pence's personal rule comes from his religious beliefs... and let's face it, a lot of religions - especially the more hardcore versions of them - have a rather dysfunctional relationship to sex in general. If you want another example, look at the issues Evangelical communities in the US (and Canada, for that matter) have with marrying young girls off to much older men.

Most people are fine with one-on-one meetings with the opposite sex, or attending events where alcohol is served without spousal supervision, and so the Pence Rule isn't of much relevance to him.

There are different ways of saying the same thing, which have very different connotations.

David Schwimmer from Friends was praised recently by a journalist who recalled him suggesting that they go to his room for an interview because the restaurant was too loud, but also suggesting she bring another person along. His actions recognised "men in positions of power exploiting women is a real problem".

On the surface Pence is doing the same thing, not being alone with a woman. But his message is very different: he is saying "women making false accusations against men is a real problem".

I'm willing to agree that both problems exist. However, the former is magnitudes of order more common than the latter.

I have an office, it has a door, and I work with women over many of whom I have authority. I never suggest shutting the door. But if one of them wants to shut it to discuss something privately, I'm not going to implicitly say "I don't trust you not to falsely accuse me" by insisting on it staying open.

There plenty of ways to protect ourselves from accusations and blackmail situations.

Again , my problem is when it comes from Mike Pence. Someone who was supposed to be the moral compass of the administration and reduced to the role of someone walking with a fire extinguisher behind the President. He never once said anything remotely negative about Trump and defended him no matter the atrocity that came out from his mouth or Twitter feed.

It gives us more respect for the despicable "Newt Gingrich Rule", that allows a man to cheat on his wife if she has cancer.

The first rule about not eating alone with a woman is fake. He could be alone in a room with another woman and still do shit. Have a third party in the room should be the rule to be above reproach.

The second rule is fake too; because if he drinks alcohol it implies that he would do something to a woman when his wife is not there, but if his wife is there, she will keep him in line.

So if he is out with the guys and has a few drinks.... no ones the wiser......

Its really obvious that he probably did something earlier in his marriage (like looking at another woman and his wife caught him taking a look) and his wife laid down the law and hence these 2 rules. Reminds me a an old saying "Hell hath no fury, like a woman scorned..":icon_biggrin: