The perfect sandwich combo

I'm actually talking about food here...pervs!:biggrin:

My favs are:

1. Light Tuna + chopped celery + chives + miracle whip on thick slice soft whole wheat/grain. Sliced diagonally in 4s. Kosher pickle on the side. Fresh brewed Coffee. Great for road trips.

2. Smoked meat piled high + Sauerkraut (drained) + Mayo + Dijon mustard on light rye. Sliced in half. Sliced Kosher pickle on the side. Light cold beer.

3. Rotisserie Roast beef med rare (rump) sliced thin & piled high but evenly. Fresh dark rye or better yet, pumpernickel. A little hot horseradish. Mayo. Clover sprouts. Sliced in 3rds. Small bowl of cold gazpacho. Chilled dry white wine.

Yours?

Edited by Jabba
  • Like 2

Being originally from Montreal, I too enjoy the classic smoked meat on rye! :) But sans sauerkraut and I prefer the yellow French's mustard for this application.

I also really enjoy Italian deli sandwiches. Nicastros on Merivale is my favourite and have been going there for years. Crusty Italian rosemary & roasted garlic ciabatta, spicy capicola, mozza, spicy pickled eggplant, and piled high with fresh crunchy veggies.

But in the end, I cannot escape my simplistic nature when it comes to food, and to this day, the way I have fond feelings for the food I ate regularly as a child. I think my all time favourite is a toasted tomato sandwich from the garden or farmers market, on whole grain bread with Hellman's mayo and fresh cracked sea salt & pepper. So yummy.

Always paired with a tall glass of ice cold milk! :) It does a body good!

• Like 3

I go for the smoked meat, noticed that Costco is offering a good Montreal style cut. Use a great sauerkraut and dill, both made by myself.

Sliced baguette

Two slices of crispy turkey bacon

Spicy pickled eggplant

Banana peppers

dill pickles

Romaine lettuce

Yellow mustard

Franks red hot sauce

To drink: just water

I'm drooling already. YUP that's my favourite sandwich. I won't allow all of those items into my house at once because I will eat the whole baguette lol

Guest realnicehat

Mmmm.....sammiches!

The Ham'n'Cheese: Thin sliced Seed to Sausage ham (from Tichborne, On. It melts in your mouth), sliced provolone, sliced cucumber, lettuce, dijonnaise on fresh sourdough. With kettle cooked potato chips, B&B pickles and a Sol.

The MOOOOO: Fresh ciabatta roll, rare roast beef, old cheddar, lettuce, sliced dill pickle, mayo, chipotle mustard. Can of Kilkenny.

The Mommy I'm Hungry: Super fresh Italian bread, creamy peanut butter, strawberry jam. Giant glass of skim milk. Crusts removed at your request.

The Boxing Day Special: Turkey (white & dark), dressing, mayo and yellow mustard served on leftover butter rolls or toast. Glass of skim milk and apple pie for dessert.

The What Was I Thinking: Turkey, ham, bacon, marble cheddar, swiss, mayo, lettuce, slice dill pickle, potato chips (the crunchiest you can find) on a large Portuguese roll. Served with the remaining chips and glass of water.

Bread from a local bakery (Pan Chancho) Buffalo Style chicken breast, Dijon mustard, lettuce, tomato, swiss cheese. Lightly grilled.

I prefer my own homemade bread topped with shaved smoked meat and a touch of yellow mustard with a glass of milk. For dessert, chocolate cake with vanilla frosting. Also made by me. :-)

Toasted rye bread

Butter

Thinly sliced Cracker Barrel cheddar cheese ... its gotta melt all gooooey baby

Bacon .... lots of bacon ... get it while its hot :)

More cheese ...... mmmmmelted cheese

Fresh garden tomatoes

Dash of salt and pecker

and voila !!!! the best sandwich ever

Then repeat .................. X 2

Then take your cholesterol checks a few days after that ...... not today later on or tomorrow either ..... best wait a bit.

ps.... Velveeta cheese is pretty gosh darn yummy on this delicious unit too !!!

• Like 1

White bread, egg-bacon-cheese sandwich! No mayo, no butter. I eat that twice a week for breakfast. =D

• Like 1

The sausage maker in my neighbourhood makes the best deli meats. Take anything from that place (I prefer salami or corned beef) put it between two pieces of rye bread with lettuce, yellow mustard, Hellmans mayo and cheddar cheese.

My original fave used to be a club Sandwich-turkey, bacon, ham, tomatoes, lettuce, mayo. But I no longer eat pork.

I also love a simple peanut butter and banana on multi grain bread or a grilled cheese on white with sweet pickles:)

• Like 2

The Reuben sandwiches from Golden Rooster (Kingston) and Nate's Deli (Ottawa) are amazing.

I have not had the Reubens from these establishments but I have sampled many from various other places.

Recently I had the bestest, biggest ever at The Main Deli in Montreal. Jumbo Reuben by name with the tastiest sauerkraut (not wet either) and beautiful smoked meat on a dark soft rye, not fried or toasted. It held together wonderfully under my onslaught, even though I was distracted by my side order of smoked meat poutine. Was barely able to finish the other side order of latkes.

My current favourite home made sandwich is a thick slice of double cheese bread (Metro), toasted, with creamed honey and crunchy peanut butter.

Oh yes; Fresh black coffee with both.

Edited by *r*j****l
add combo

Guest N***he**Ont**y

Triple Decker Steak Sandwich which is composed of three toasted slices of rye bread, Swiss cheese, grilled onions with mushrooms and thinly sliced steak.

Guest realnicehat
32 slices of bacon between 64 slices of bacon.

I think your bacon to bacon ratio is slightly off :)

I think your bacon to bacon ratio is slightly off :)

I had to cut back because of the cholesterol. That recipe is for a "lite" bacon sandwich.

• Like 2

Smoked Ham, REAL Swiss Cheese thick sliced, hot Dijon on fresh baked Rye. Delicious.

Or

Thick sliced bacon, Monterey Jack or Old white cheddar on Pretzel bread. Ultimate grilled cheese.

Bacon and Egg Salad

Toasted, buttered Ezekial bread with double yolk egg salad. Mash the eggs, mix in finely chopped bacon, celery, onion, dill pickle (wee bit) then add copious amounts of Dukes mayonnaise. Season with sea salt, pepper and a dash of mustard powder. Let sit in the fridge for at least a couple of hours before eating. Top with shredded lettuce and kettle cooked potato chips.

As a child, I ate this accompanied by Witches Brew; soda fountain drink that had equal amounts of each available soda mixed together with a giant kosher dill dropped in with a tablespoon of pickle juice added in at the end. Now, depending on the meal it's coffee or water...

cat

• Like 3

White sourdough brushed with butter and bacon fat, extra old cheddar, sliced home grown tomatoes (black heirloom ones preferably) and very crispy crumbled bacon, grilled until it all melts together.

Cream cheese, cucumbers, Italian dressing and black pepper on white.

Joe's Food Emporium in Kentville, NS has a Philadelphia steak sub that is a culinary orgasm.....seriously.

Years ago, an ex-girlfriend's brother was a cop in Toronto. He took us to the Monarch Tavern for lunch a couple of times. I don't know if the sandwiches were "in house" or if they ordered out, but the fact that I remember them and the name of the tavern speaks volumes.

Coming from an Italian background, to me there is no better combination than an assorted sandwhich with hot capicolla, hot calabrese salami, mortadella, provolone cheese with lettuce, mustard, tomato and salt & pepper.

Also if you want to try a play on the traditional ham & cheese sandwhich, try using proscuito and provolone cheese.

Guest ChantalSummers

Definitely tuna, pickles, red onion, tomatoes, swiss cheese, green olives, and southwest chipotle sauce on a whole grain wrap. Mmmm so good!!