Do you get tested?

For my peace of mind, 10 days ago , I went to the wak-in clinic in Jasper Ave Edmonton, to make a complete screening of STI/HIV, the nurse told me that they would call me in 10 days to give me the results. They did not call. I am getting a bit anxious. Anybody knows the protocol of the STI clinic regarding the reporting of the results?

• Like 1

Did they give you an anonymous ID number for your test?

Maybe call them and ask.

My own doctor only calls if there is something I should know about. If the test is negative they don't call. So hopefully that's why you have not been called.

• Like 1

It could just be that the lab they work with is swamped. But if you are concerned, give them a call to follow up.

While not a rule everyone follows, it does seem to me that most places don't call you unless there is something in the results that bears going over - abnormal cell counts, testing positive for something, low minerals or vitamins in the blood, etc.

And I'm not sure what tests you had done, but if it's blood and you're getting a needle in your arm anyhow, I always tell them to do a full blood panel. I like to keep track of what's going on with my B vitamins, iron and CBC (blood cell count). I absolutely loathe getting blood taken so I try to get the most out of it when I have to go get it done.

I have been tested at a variety of clinics, all of which will only call if there is something that needs a follow up or is of concern.

You can probably call and ask if your test results are ready, but in my experience, if you want the results, you generally have to go in and get them in person.

Yes, the standard thing even if you went to a regular clinic is that they only call you back if the tests are positive. The idea is that you are called to make an appt to come in for a perscription or other treatment like a shot.

The STD clinic nearest to me now has a policy of just telling you to call them, after a week, or they mention when the results should be in, and to just call in they give them over the phone. A new policy is to not give out hard copies, not sure how you can get a written one from an STD clinic if they persist in a similar policy. A regular doctor or walk in clinic has the written results. but they also have your real name so there is that.

For my peace of mind, 10 days ago , I went to the wak-in clinic in Jasper Ave Edmonton, to make a complete screening of STI/HIV, the nurse told me that they would call me in 10 days to give me the results. They did not call. I am getting a bit anxious. Anybody knows the protocol of the STI clinic regarding the reporting of the results?

Typically the doctor in an out patient clinic will call only if something is abnormal. If you were to see your family doctor, he/she would inform you of abnormalities immediately. If nothing was "wrong" you'd be informed your next appointment you've a clean bill of health.

• Like 2

The general rule is no news is good news. If they have your contact information, then they can call you if something is up. If you did not give contact information, it's best to call back.

• Like 2

Guest Cr**gCa***ng

My experience exactly both with the Ottawa Sexual Health Clinics and with my own physician...no news is good news and I have been told that so no worries!!

The general rule is no news is good news. If they have your contact information, then they can call you if something is up. If you did not give contact information, it's best to call back.

The ontario health unit I use only calls if there is a problem for everything they test for except, they do not give HIV info over the phone so you actually have to go back in to receive these results.

I get tested in the states...yes I pay for it but I get the results the next day by 6pm. They send me the results by email and notify me by text message when the results are ready.

I like it that way coz i get the result really fast.

Everyone is right...no news is good news :D