It Begins in NS.....

Twenty Seven Clients Charged

So.....the police won't use any resources eh? All 27 men were named in the local paper today. The women are receiving guidance and counselling. Jesus!

This is now the second time in NS where I am aware of clients being arrested without any relationship to trafficking or underage women. So it begins.

• Like 1

Do we know if this sting operation was focused on street operations... the story does not say but it seems to be likely.

Yes it was street. However that "might" make us feel safer but I for one will never see anyone in a small market place like PEI again. As well, street does not make it acceptable from a client or SP perspective. These are the women who will now move deeper into shadows and men in CB will be pretty damn careful to not disclose to anyone. So that hurts everybody and potential secrecy and violence will be directly attributable to our wonderful Safe Communities Act.

Yes it was street. However that "might" make us feel safer but I for one will never see anyone in a small market place like PEI again. As well, street does not make it acceptable from a client or SP perspective. These are the women who will now move deeper into shadows and men in CB will be pretty damn careful to not disclose to anyone. So that hurts everybody and potential secrecy and violence will be directly attributable to our wonderful Safe Communities Act.

Certainly was not suggesting that it was ok if Street... This whole thing just makes it even worse from a safety perspective for the very people the Supreme Court threw the old laws out for.

• Like 1

These sweeps have been going on for a long time. They targeted street workers after businesses have complained. Nothing new.

However, I'm still blown away by guys that continue to insist on asking specifics. They want details, they want to know what is provided. Even after I specify no details, they still ask if X is provided. They've just solicited a sexual service, and therefore are at risk if I was an undercover officer, of being arrested. So, even though they are targeting street workers, everyone needs to realize that they are still at risk ANYTIME they solicit a sexual service. I'm still perplexed at sites that allow graphic discussions/reviews of details.

Time and companionship guys - stop asking for details and stop bragging about details. Think with your big head please. There are no code words anymore, there are no easy ways to find out details. Time and companionship.

Frankly I'm grateful I no longer have to discuss specifics. I don't want to see these guys. If they can't figure it out, they really need a lesson. Unfortunately, the lesson can be costly for them.

• Like 2

Fortunately, in Victoria & Vancouver, there isn't any plan to do any of this kind of enforcement, and especially regarding discussing services. Even the City of Vancouver recently came up with some policies, that included the fact that if it isn't a bylaw issue, then it isn't their issue lol, which means finding condoms in a massage parlour doesn't mean they will fine it for being a bawdy house or whatever. anyway harm reduction policies in both cities mean that there won't be stings like that, or enforcement of the new laws, and in addition VPD is no longer doing the public solicitation stings/sweeps after being involved in a study to see what the effects would be. it was decided in their policy the harms outweighed the benefits.

there are at least 2 cities/areas that seem to plan or have done enforcement claiming it is the new laws, when we know for a fact they would have done the same thing using the old laws. Old laws new name I call it, and 99% of everything they do is put a female LE on the street and wait for someone to solicit. it is impossible for them to arrest that many people if they do this via a bp ad and a hotel room.

To the OP, no one ever said that some places would not enforce the public solicitation type of sex work, in fact, especially after the changes, I think many who study the issue would be saying it would be even less desirable in some cities to try to see street workers, because now they have a fancy 'we are stopping exploitation' reason to use.

Guest S****r

Good reason to remember to stick with well-known ladies -- such as those here on Lyla.

They even published the guys' names and ages. How dirty!

Good reason to remember to stick with well-known ladies -- such as those here on Lyla.

They even published the guys' names and ages. How dirty!

There are several aspects of this story I find very disturbing:

1. That our government gives the Supreme Court the finger by making new laws that are less compliant with the Charter than those the Supreme Court struck down.

2. That those charged are treated as guilty first by having their names published and must prove they are innocent (if they are), even if they manage to prove they are innocent in court they are already guilty and always will be in the court of public opinion.

3. That it is entrapment, plain and simple. I am certain that the majority of these gentlemen had no intent until propositioned by an attractive undercover police officer (but entrapment is OK in Canada - it shouldn't be).

4. At least one of those charged suffers from Alzheimer's and probably would have agreed to help the lady rob a bank if she had asked him to :)

• Like 2

Guest *a*****n Bl***

I really don't understand what the issue is as long as everybody is safe and discreet

I don't know... I actually don't have a huge problem with street sweeps. I can see the other side of it. I'm a professional and soon to be business owner, and I don't want this industry going on literally in the streets around where I'm trying to earn my living.

As mentioned above, these have been going on for a long time. These gentlemen were letting body parts other than their brains guide their judgement and they took unnecessarily high risk. I would hope that if the men are scared away from soliciting on the street then the ladies will follow the money to a safer business model in hotel rooms and the cloud.