Who's Cato the Stoic (Ode - and apologies - to a friend...)

During a certain number of year, I thought I knew it all. I thought everybody on here was looking for the same, being the same. Quick research, some interest, a phone call, and a meeting - or not.

I never researched, really, where a name was coming from, as most are descriptive of the personna... What a mistake!

So, who was Cato the Younger (or Cato the Stoic).

This might be a little subjective...

Cato (also known as the Self-Made-Man) was Julius Caesar official opposition. Nor did he had the essential qualities of a war lord, nor the man power to be heard loud and clear. He had to do with what he had, in the very heartless city of Rome. Instead, he wrote his own rules, that he would follow religiously. Cato was also the last citizen of Rome...

1. Master the power of gestures;

2. Don't compromise - EVER;

3. Fear NOTHING;

4. Use pain as a teacher;

5. Don't expect to control your legacy.

If I look at the list, I can easily recognize where my friend is coming from.

Here's a short description of the man, according to the ''fourhourworkweek.com'' (source):

Cato didn't have Caesar military skill, or Cicero eloquence, or Pompey's boyish good looks. But he had something even more formidable: a determination to hold himself, and those around him, to an insanely high standar. He asked to be measured by a standar higher to winning or loosing in Romain politics, and that's why he still matters long after Rome went to ruins.

We should remember Washington's favorite line from the Cato play at Valley Forge: Tis not in mortals to command success; but we'll do more... We'll deserve it.''

Have a nice day, Chaton!

• Like 6

Sabrina, you have overwhelmed me with your kindness. I'm deeply touched.

I will never forget this gesture.

Thank you! I am honoured.

We have met only once, but it was a very special moment, where every minute is remembered and cherished. Thank you for that, and for keeping in touch with me afterwards. You are a very wonderful person.

• Like 4