Thread: donating blood
View Single Post
Old 06-15-2017, 10:09 AM
Elite Member (500+ Posts)
(1000+ Posts)

I am a
Thanked 1,197 Times in 708 Posts
Luckyme has over 10000 reputation points!Luckyme has over 10000 reputation points!Luckyme has over 10000 reputation points!Luckyme has over 10000 reputation points!Luckyme has over 10000 reputation points!Luckyme has over 10000 reputation points!Luckyme has over 10000 reputation points!Luckyme has over 10000 reputation points!Luckyme has over 10000 reputation points!Luckyme has over 10000 reputation points!Luckyme has over 10000 reputation points!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebecca Winter View Post
As a nurse, what I would counsel people to do is to know the guidelines and, if they really want to donate, they can make the decision to tell the truth or not.
The fact of the matter is that all the blood is tested for HIV and HCV. I would strongly suggest that anyone who is actively an injection drug user or having unprotected high-risk (i.e. vaginal or anal) sex with multiple partners to not donate as they could be within the window period for testing. But otherwise, for most of us, if we donate blood and are HIV positive then they would find it. The restrictions, imho are unfairly prejudicial and not adequately evidence-based.
I have resumed the give of life by donating blood recently. I based on my decision that " all the blood is tested for HIV and HCV". It is comforting to read your endorsement especially coming from a nurse.