The Flu Shot

Knock on wood I haven't been sick with the flu in a while nor have I gotten the flu shot. Probably stupid as this type of work obviously lends itself to the spread of germs no matter how careful one can be. As a germaphobe I strerilize everything, doorknobs, countertops, taps, hands, anything that my hands or someonelses can touch. My prefered sterile solution is straight rubbing alcohol. What are your opinions on this subject?

I think that the flu shot is a lot of baloney , they just inject you with a mild strain of the flu to get your body used to fighting of the bug , stay active fit and healthy and you shouldnt need it , I only got one a few years back and that was the year that i had it the worst ( just my opinion ) also it could be a conspiracy thing to take over the world .

• Like 1

As posted elsewhere I am a strong proponent of the flu shot. I read only yesterday that it is still not too late to get one for it to be effective and that this years shot is well matched with the virus that is on the go.

Wash hands, wash hands, wash hands, but the shot is your personal protection.

• Like 2

Guest N***he**Ont**y

i recived my flu shot last night @ my local pharmacy. After skipping the shot once I got penemonia and was off work for a month. I am a firm beleiver in the shot!

Guest S**a*Q

I have never gotten the flu shot, nor am I a germaphobe.

I like germs. :D They help me build immunity to whatever's going around.

I haven't been sick in years. --(Knock on germy wood!)

Guest *l**e

As probably one of the few people with actual medical training and access to some of the top scientific minds in the world, all anti-bodies are good anti-bodies. I get my shot every year. No question

I am a big booster of the flu shot, having taken it for seven or eight years now.

But, I also agree with the gist of Sarah's thesis, that you develop a robust immune system by a certain amount of exposure to germs. By all means wash your hands when it's appropriate, but I think the over reliance on sterilizing everything around you is foolish.

Guest S**a*Q

I'm the worst for holding money in my mouth, (Specially when I was working retail) My friends/coworkers are always all EEEWWWWW! And then they get sick, but I don't. HAHA!

So yeah, I agree that over sterilization will end up making you sick.

I used to catch flu 3 to 5 times a year each lasting 2 to 4 days. I have been getting flu shots past 10 years and each year I still come down with mild flu once or twice a year each lasting one to two days. I can't be all coincidental. I always get my flu shot in early November.

I am a non believer in it, the one year I had it I ended up with pneumonia not once but twice. I will never get it again and am against it.

We never had vaccines for the flu or pneumonia when we were kids and we were fine, you need some germs to build your immune system and the flu shot to me is just like a light cover, it wont prevent anything, just prolong the inevitable of eventually getting sick. PLus has anyone ever thought of what the long term effects maybe - every drug or immune altering thing has a long term effect. Why put anything else into your body when in this day and age we take in more than we did 20 years ago. Get your rest, drink water, eat healthy, wash your hands and for gads sake cover your mouth when you cough.

I say use at your own risk.

• Like 5

I'm with Sara and Emily on this one, over sterilization is dangerous. Until this year I followed the "If it doesn't kill you it makes you stronger and I'm too grumpy to die young" philosophy. I do keep my living areas clean but I'm not one to disinfected every touched surface in my kitchen. Bathrooms are a different story with showers being my weakness. My work spaces are sanitized, the rest of my house is clean.

I received a flu shot this year for the first time as I have a friend who is ill and we have lots of contact so I figured it was the right thing to do for his safety. I don't get virus' so it has never really been a huge concern, I only worry about things I can see, not what I can imagine because my imagination left uncheck is crazy thing. When my children were small I would send them for sleep overs with kids that were sick so they would get the exposure and often they would come home as healthy as I'd sent them. Eating dirt and getting sick is a necessary part of childhood imo if you want them to grow up strong.

The immune system is an amazing thing and as adults we walk a fine line between exposing it to what it needs to keep it strong and staying healthy...

cat

• Like 1

I'm an advocate of the flu shot, but everyone gets to make their own choice.

I'd just throw this into the mix: the flu shot doesn't try to make you clean, it actually makes you dirty on purpose.(1) It contains the actual virus (or parts thereof) in order to make your body stronger, not weaker. The virus you get in the shot is dead, so your body gets to learn what it looks like without the virus trying to kill you. And then your body will react faster next time you're exposed.

It's the same process that would happen in nature if you simply were exposed to the living virus; your body learns its shape and you overcome it, left stronger for next time. But it's controlled. As Jesse Pinkman would say: Yeah science!

(1) And now some community-targeted advocacy:

C'mon -- who on this board can turn down a chance to get dirty on purpose!?!? And I mean that deep-down, it-runs-in-your-veins kind of dirty that's worth paying some money for. And you get the shot from a nurse. Who's making you dirty! So she must be a naughty nurse! Etc. etc.

• Like 4

I have too many bad habits, don't get enough rest, but seldom get sick. If I do, it's a very short duration. I don't get the flu shot, but make sure my cattle get it every year.

Have to say I never get the flu shot, last time was like 10 years ago and got badly sick. Can not remember the last time I was sick hehehe and ill touch wood to

I had my flu shot about a couple of months ago. So far, touch wood, have never experienced any flu-like symptoms. I've been taking the shots every year for the last few years - just doing my part for the mankind to prevent the spread of the virus. :icon_wink:

Flu shot. Meh. Never bother.

I just got over a two week flu...I felt like I had been hit by a train...

but I love the feeling when I recover...I love the feeling of all my strength

coming back, of coming alive again! I have no proof to back it up, but I have a hunch my immune system is stronger after each bad ass flu workout. People ask me if I got my flu shot and when I say "No" their eyes widen and mouths gape as if I've got Ebola or something...sheeple. Meh.

• Like 1

I do not believe in the flu shot.. I believe your body is meant to fight off these sorts of things and I have a strong immune system. I can't remember the last time I had the flu or a really bad chest cold.

I am also a germaphobe and wash my hands or take showers so many times a day that my knuckles bleed because my hands get so dry from all the washing. I also make it a point that if I've been out in public to not touch my eyes, nose or mouth until I have washed them with soap and water. And I've also got hand sanitizer with me at all times.

I've seen people get the flu shot and then immediately get sick. I know someone who got the flu shot and right now has bronchitis and is sick as a dog. The last time I remember getting a head cold was in the summer and was driving with the A/C on full blast and then stepping out into the heat. Then I was better in a few days. If I do get sick, I rest and take the time to get better. That's all you can do..with or without a flu shot.

• Like 2

I like getting the flu shot, but I've learned to (at least try,) not care if other people get it or not...

I think I might do some research into what type of a virus flu actually is though, as my thoughts on viruses (such as HPV, Herpes, HIV) are mainly that they're not as easily combated by our bodies... they stay with us.

With bacteria (as far as I know) you do, technically, have a chance to fight it off... Not that I would want someone to try and fight off say, gonorrhea without medication-- but what I know of viruses is that it would be easier to fight off gonorrhea without medication than it would be to build a true immunity to flu.

I think everyone is within their rights to not get a flu shot-- or any sort of medical intervention... but it does make me worry sometimes that people might take similar stances on STDs someday, thinking they should just try and fight it off rather than get treated properly.

Addition:

I found this really interesting article on what a virus actually is.. really cool & kinda scary all at the same time! Kinda like the Borg...

http://science.howstuffworks.com/life/cellular-microscopic/virus-human1.htm

Edited by Parker
added to
  • Like 1

Anecdotal stories aren't going to change another person's mind. Get it or don't get it, that is your choice or it would be mandated. However, do some critical reading, and be aware of the reasons behind vaccinations: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herd_immunity (I am not saying that wikipedia is a good example, but this is a good explanation of herd immunity ;) )

Also, this is fun: http://www.historyofvaccines.org/

Now for my anecdote: of my coworkers, those who got the vaccine and got the flu had a much milder illness, whereas those who didn't were off sick for quite some time with more severe symptoms.

• Like 4

The one time I did get the flu shot, that year, actually within hours of the getting the shot, I got the flu

In general I'm relatively unscathed by the flu or colds (touch wood) Only exception was last year when I didn't get the flu, I got what was called by the doctor a major viral infection which flattened me on my back for most of March and I wasn't back to 100% till mid April.

And I should add I work in what a high risk environment for catching bugs, much like teachers in school or health care professionals in hospitals, a lot of people in a relatively small closed area...yet I'm still unscathed. In fact this year in my office, which has five people, four got sick this past fall, me, nothing.

RG

• Like 2

An old flame/current drinking buddy has been super healthy for years and years and never got the flu. Got the flu shot this year because her doc convinced her that she was getting older and needed it. What happened?

Well, sure enough, she got the flu of course!

• Like 2

I'm a bit surprised when people say they don't "believe" in the flu shot. I get that scientists and doctors have gotten stuff wrong on occasion in the past, but every reason I've read so far to not take it has been anecdotal as opposed to anything scientific. This is one of those moments where I still feel like a foreigner. I grew up in the East thinking that citizens of first world countries didn't follow old wives tales and what not, seeking remedies through passed down stories.

Truth be told, I've taken the shot a couple of times over the last 10 years, and the honest fact is that I've been completely lazy about it. I do realize I'm in my prime age, where the flu is less likely to affect me, but I know that I'm just lucky so far.

But to those who don't "believe" in the flu shot, I'm genuinely curious, do you think the government is willfully blind that pharma companies are using this once a year moment to peddle additional drugs? Or that the pharmaceutical companies have tricked all government health organizations around the world? Or some other reason why they are still provided.

And since someone brought up that a few decades ago we had less immunization shots and what not. But consider this, in Canada, from 1920 to 1960, the average life expectancy rose from 59 to 66. Considering that Canada moved to become a properly middle class nation, it would make sense. Since them however, the life expectancy has gone up to 79. I know that there are many variables in this rise, but I would credit some of this to immunization. (Speaking as someone who has absolutely no knowledge of molecular level biology, or anything of that sort mind you)

• Like 1