A Question About STI/STD Testing

I don't know if I'm getting tested frequently enough or not

To begin with, I have encounters once a month (it's all I can budget for without living on Kraft Dinner lol)

Every two months I get tested (I tie it in with tests I have to take to measure my blood levels for my medication)

Am I getting tested frequently enough for the amount of encounters I have (in essence I get tested after every second encounter, and so far, I'm STI/STD free)

Any input appreciated

Thanks

RG

I should have added, seeing SP's is my sex life, I don't date, have a wife/cl/gf. So I have twelve encounters a year, and get tested six times a year

Edited by r__m__g_uy
Additional Information

I think it's as much a matter of your personal comfort as it is about your level of risk.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't know of any widely accepted scientific formula for determining the exact frequency of testing necessary for any individual.

It helps to have an understanding of how different STIs are transmitted (different STIs can be transmitted in different ways), the level of risk for transmission in your own sex life, and also your own body and what 'normal' looks like for you.

To make a decision that is right for you, I would encourage researching STIs, their risk factors and treatments. It helps to take the mystery out of things.

The HIV virus won't actually show up on tests until about three months after transmission.

Certainly the sooner any STI is caught the sooner and often more effectively it can be treated. And often there's no way of knowing if you have an STI unless you get tested- it could lie dormant for a while, and show no symptoms.

It sounds to me like you're keeping a good check on your health, but it all comes down to you.

• Like 8

Kuddos to you RG. There have been many posts regarding how often SP's get tested but yet I can't remember any about hobbiests. It is each person's personal obligation to be safe and to be in control of their sexual health!

• Like 6

I do not see many ladies in a year(maybe 3-4) and get tested 3 month more or less after those encounter and never had bad news. I get tested for STD/STI and to let other guys know the urethral swab does not hurt that bad.

I go to the Sexual Health Center at 179 Clarence in Ottawa, never needed an appointment and always got served well.

• Like 1

... to let other guys know the urethral swab does not hurt that bad....

Thanks Notch but speak for yourself! Actually you did :) so just kidding.

This is one of those things that probably varies from person to person and while I found it quite medieval I wouldn't want a few seconds of discomfort to discourage anyone from the obvious benefits: They far outweigh a little discomfort for a short period of time so even if you are one that is ready to rip the Doctor's head off the inclination to do so only last a short time.

It is well worth the peace of mind even if was worse than it is but I'm sure different people have different levels of sensitivity to this, perhaps it won't bother you at all. In fact, that's what my Doctor said when we was about to perform the procedure, some people really mind it, others not so much or at all.

I think getting tested for hiv/aids once yearly is normal, from what I've been told. As for the other std's most show signs,so if everything is working fine, no pains or odors then maybe a precautionary test evey six months.I personally get tested bimonthly and hiv twice yearly.This should be decided by you and your doctor though. Be open and honest with him/her about who and how often you have sex, after all peace of mind is priceless.

As for the other std's most show signs,so if everything is working fine, no pains or odors then maybe a precautionary test evey six months.

Sounds sensible enough Cristy. Probably worth mention though that some very common STDs don't always present any symptoms at all.

For example, the most common of all (in North America), Chlamydia causes symptoms in only 1 in 4 men and 30% of women, is very easily treated and when left untreated causes complications. So the most common one of all only presents symptoms caused by the damage it does when left untreated in the majority of people.

I'm inclined to suggest that RG has it absolutely right, certainly if you are getting the blood work done anyways, why not throw these tests on there.

• Like 1

Sounds sensible enough Cristy. Probably worth mention though that some very common STDs don't always present any symptoms at all.

For example, the most common of all (in North America), Chlamydia causes symptoms in only 1 in 4 men and 30% of women, is very easily treated and when left untreated causes complications. So the most common one of all only presents symptoms caused by the damage it does when left untreated in the majority of people.

I'm inclined to suggest that RG has it absolutely right, certainly if you are getting the blood work done anyways, why not throw these tests on there.

Yes, this is true, and I usually encourage people to use STD clinics for testing as they are current with all the different things that should and need to be tested for. I am concerned in some clinics that you have to insist on some tests, (they act like they are personally paying for the work to be done at the lab), and they may skip things if they feel like the person is low risk for it.

It is good to get a complete work up, like chlamydia, syphillis, etc etc, before you get started in this hobby, but if not then frequency should probably be related to # of sps you visit versus time. So 2 x a year for someone who sees one sp per month, and 4 or 5 times a year for someone who sees sps 4 or more times each month?

RG is taking advantage of a visit he makes anyway, and I do not think it is overly cautious.

I would not be surprised if the number of guys who never have been tested, or at least very infrequently, wasn't alarmingly high. I think that most clients (and most do not frequent the forums) do not get tested. I also am pretty sure there is a good number of sps who have never been tested or do so very infrequently. Some are just trying it out, and stop after a month. Others just don't see the need, if there are no symptoms to check out, etc. Certainly those here working illegally are not going to the drop in clinics, nor paying for testing out of pocket at a walk in clinic without proper ID.

• Like 1

...I would not be surprised if the number of guys who never have been tested, or at least very infrequently, wasn't alarmingly high. I think that most clients (and most do not frequent the forums) do not get tested. I also am pretty sure there is a good number of sps who have never been tested or do so very infrequently. Some are just trying it out, and stop after a month. Others just don't see the need, if there are no symptoms to check out, etc. Certainly those here working illegally are not going to the drop in clinics, nor paying for testing out of pocket at a walk in clinic without proper ID.

I think you are right. My Doctor is in a very small town and there are no clinics. So until recently I wasn't getting tested at all often enough and should have been: Once in a while the tests were done just to rule that out as to what is causing this or that symptom. So when I asked him to add a full STD panel he agreed easily enough but then wanted to know why. Did I suspect my wife was cheating? Was I?

Was it any of his business? Probably not but then I think his questions were just genuine concern and so I took them that way and he once I told him of my wife's medical condition (she has a different Doctor) as a Doctor he was able to recognize that intimacy was impossible and further that I had her permission, which he thought was neat. And then yes, exactly as you say, he was going to limit some of the tests so I had to come clean and tell him it was professional ladies from many different cities and he thought that was really cool also and then willing to do the full round of tests.

At least now we have this understanding and so he will no doubt order the tests as a matter of routine every time I see him (says he will).

I'm actually glad I started this thread. I've wondered if I was getting tested enough, now after reading the posts I've got things under control...well sexual health wise that is...my bank account on the other hand seems to take a beating, but for what I receive, it's one the ladies truly deserve

There are no clinics where I live (smalltown Ontario), so I have to get my testing done through my doctor. But he is cool with me being tested, says it's the responsible thing to do. And he follows up personally on tests. So far nothing on my STD/STI tests, but on occasion my other tests required a follow up...he phones me personally...not his receptionist, him personally. And I'm assured he has my complete medical history.

I'm also fortunate in a way, should I ever (touch wood I don't) test positive for an STD/STI I can personally contact the ladies I've seen and let them know. I know who I've seen, and their contact information. No little black book with hundred's of anonymous names here.

And hopefully I never have to contact any lady. But, and this is important. If contacted I am not passing blame on anyone. We are all consenting adults here, and we all know this lifestyle has certain risks (yes we practice risk reduction). I just want the ladies who have provided me with a needed monthly escape to be tested for their health too.

My morning rambling

RG

• Like 1

I'm actually glad I started this thread.

I'm glad you started it also RG. Seems a few didn't realize that the most common one is sometimes known as the "silent" STD :) (e.g. no symptoms)

But beyond that we all need to take responsibility as responsible adults.

Most STDs (aside from the sensational ones like AIDS) are really a non-event, easily treated, quickly taken care of and more of a simple annoyance than anything else but with some you will never know about it until it is too late without testing.

Certainly as a result of your thread, I will be tested much more often :) So Kudos to you for bring it up... It's sometimes a bit of a sensitive topic around here and probably shouldn't be.

quick question, if your tested positive fro chlamidia or other theyt still contact the health office i believed,,,

i think many men specialy if they still have wife are afraid to get check and they get reported.

quick question, does anyone know a clinic you can go for testing and if they find anything on you they dont contact the health office?

its by experience in the past it happen to me and my gf didn know she had chlamidia.

quick question, if your tested positive fro chlamidia or other theyt still contact the health office i believed,,,

i think many men specialy if they still have wife are afraid to get check and they get reported.

There are only a couple of reportable stds. Those would be stds with no cure that you have to disclose to future partners before intimacy. For chlamydia, that is not reportable and no one but you will know the results of the test.

If you do not want to tell other partners, the clinic does provide a service where they will contact those people to get tested/treated. One thing to remember is that you might be carrying that std around for many years, nothing to do with your current situation. As with your girlfriend, she may have contracted it from a former SO before you met, had no symptoms, and passed it back to you.

It is easy to treat. Within a week of antibiotics, you will be clear. If you know your diagnosis and do not advise your partner, then you will get it again until you tell them about it, and they get treated.

Not sure if this belongs in this thread but I had a bit of a funny story about sti testing today (I know, "funny" and "sti testing" don't usually go together).

Well, I think it's a good idea for everyone--hobbyists included--to get tested, and it had been a while for me so last week I finally popped over to one of the clinics and took care of it. Today I called in to get my results.

Everything was going fine with the nurse rolling down the results one by one, telling me each time that it was negative. But then at the end she stumbled...paused...and then blurts out "oh, you got hepatitis".

As you can guess I was a little shocked and didn't know what to say. So you can imagine my relief when she added "er...what I mean is you got hepatitis tested for...I'd missed that...not that you have it." And then after another pause she belatedly added "that was negative too".

Phew.

So yeah...I guess my message is it's important to get tested...but also make sure the nurse has finished her sentence before you freak out. :)

• Like 3

I don't know if I'm getting tested frequently enough or not

To begin with, I have encounters once a month (it's all I can budget for without living on Kraft Dinner lol)

Every two months I get tested (I tie it in with tests I have to take to measure my blood levels for my medication)

Am I getting tested frequently enough for the amount of encounters I have (in essence I get tested after every second encounter, and so far, I'm STI/STD free)

Any input appreciated

Thanks

RG

I should have added, seeing SP's is my sex life, I don't date, have a wife/cl/gf. So I have twelve encounters a year, and get tested six times a year

RG just my opinion but I believe you are AOK . Although I don't follow you around and stalk you I can see that you chose to spend your time with lovely ladies that I am very sure are cognizant of their sexual health .

For example I am very diligent not only for my health but for my guests . Many guests have wives and to do something that would harm a wife would totally devastate me. Lets be honest , no wife in this day in age will buy that you got something terrible on a toilet seat or at the gym.

To sum up I believe you are being very diligent in making sure your sexual health is as perfect as one can expect . Accidents can happen but when you see people you are very comfortable with this its not to great a concern .

• Like 1

I think it's really awesome that you're so proactive with your sexual health, it's important considering how interlaced we all are in this industry. I always suggest to my clients to get tested at least 4 times a year if they're active in the industry and for ladies even more often because we come into a higher level of contact. It's so easy as well since most Cities have anonymous testing clinics, there's no reason not to go for a checkup. I really love that there is a health section on this board, it's refreshing and such an important set of topics in our hobby.

RG just my opinion but I believe you are AOK . Although I don't follow you around and stalk you I can see that you chose to spend your time with lovely ladies that I am very sure are cognizant of their sexual health .

For example I am very diligent not only for my health but for my guests . Many guests have wives and to do something that would harm a wife would totally devastate me. Lets be honest , no wife in this day in age will buy that you got something terrible on a toilet seat or at the gym.

To sum up I believe you are being very diligent in making sure your sexual health is as perfect as one can expect . Accidents can happen but when you see people you are very comfortable with this its not to great a concern .

Being comfortable with someone is not a reason to be lax. And being diligent does not prevent the transmission of sti. But being careful, aware and educated does go a long way in keeping those nasty bugs away.

People should be fearless in their approach to their own sexual health and insist on all necessary testing, as they should not have to disclose every minute detail in order for that to happen. Sometimes the doctors just have to trust the patient, and as a patient, you have to understand that doctors are only going on what you are telling them (as a poster above stated). If you neglect to tell all the details, then tell the doctor to trust your judgement!

As for sti that involve the community health dept, the health dept is in touch with you to make sure that you are not creating an epidemic. If you act responsibly (accept treatment) and let your partners know they should be tested, then the health dept is not going to advertise your sti to the world, or anybody in your household. Apparently if they need to call you, they don't leave a message except like a code word to call them back, for your privacy. So don't be afraid to get testing if you have an SO, they will not know anything unless you tell them.

Just to be clear, reportable STIs are gonorrhea, chlamydia and syphilis. HIV is not reportable in all provinces, but it is in some.

If you're diagnosed with a reportable STI public health can help you contact your partners (anonymously if you prefer), or you can do it yourself. Public health will also collect demographic data.

For people who are concerned about confidentiality, public health will work with you to find ways to notify partners that are safe and respect your privacy. Even with reportable infections (which includes a long list of non-STIs), you still have a right to medical privacy. So if you're hesitating to get tested because you're afraid the clinic will tell everyone if you have an STI, please go - everyone understands the need for privacy around sexual matters and how sensitive the topic is, and any clinic that focuses on sexual health will be very careful to ensure that they're not doing anything to discourage people from getting tested.

(General practitioners are sometimes not great about sexual health, so if you're not sure, go to a community health clinic instead of your regular doctor.)

• Like 1