Barometric Pressure Headaches and Migraines or Weather Headaches

This news may be old to some, for me it is new today.

I've been getting random headaches for years, what I thought were random, but never understood as to why. I no longer drink to the point of being drunk and I have a healthy diet. Over the last couple of years I noticed on a few occasions that these headaches occurred when the barometric pressure would drop drastically as would the temperature, say more than ten degrees.

I had one such headache today and noticed the barometric pressure and temperature had dropped compared to what Ottawa had on this past beautiful weekend so I started searching online. Sure enough I came across a term called Barometric Pressure Headaches, also sometimes referred to as Weather Headaches. I had never heard of this previously but I knew I wasn't crazy or just making things up.

https://blog.themigrainereliefcenter.com/barometric-pressure-and-migraines-what-you-need-to-know

There are five commonly used methods to try and prevent these headaches. I'm going to try a few to see what may work for me as they differ from person to person and unfortunately may not work for some people at all.

https://optimalwellnesslabs.com/5-tips-for-dealing-with-barometric-pressure-headaches

-Taking an anti-inflammatory

-Using a humidifier or ionizer

-Natural relaxation may help

-Staying hydrated

-Investing in gadgets

Also, there are apps one can download to be notified of barometric pressure drops since these pressures drop before the temperature does so one can take an anti-inflammatory as soon as possible.

I will try these different methods but even if non of these work I feel an overwhelming sense of relief knowing I wasn't imagining all this, I'm not alone and there is potential help available.

Posting this hoping I can perhaps help others out there who suffer from headaches and didn't understand why and what they could do to attempt to prevent these pains.

Cheers,

• Like 1

For the last few years I also get migraines related to barometric pressure. I find for me the trick is recognizing the warning signs and taking some medication before it escalates.

For me I get nauseous and very irritable before I even start to feel any pain in my head and that's when I take Tylenol migraine. That is the one that has caffeine in it and it's the only thing that works for me. If it feels like a bad one ... another effective med is Toradol  aka  Ketorolac   (which is Dr prescribed and not narcotic and very effective for migraines)

If you can catch it before it gets bad.. you should be able to keep it under control. I learned the hard way that once it gets full blown I am sh*t outta luck !

So maybe try and pay attention to if there are any subtle warning signs before it comes on strong. There are always pre cursors but they vary depending on the person. I have had people tell me that they get visual disturbances prior to a migraine for example.

Not sure if staying extra hydrated, humidifier, etc would be helpful since these migraines are directly linked to barometric pressure.

I have just become really good at catching them early so I just end up feeling kinda yucky for a day but it's not unbearable. It passes as soon as my head adjusts to the new air pressure change. Hope that helps a little. Big hug to you.

Bonnie Scot Independent Ottawa Massage

For people feeling these types of headaches, get check for any neuropathic issues as that might be an underlying condition. 

Note that barometric pressure changes can be rapid and not at all related to the weather as in only raining or only cold. You can get some serious drops in pressure in a sun shiny day. So watch the pressure for each head ache so you can for sure conclude it is BP changes. This will help when then planning for future headaches by watching the low pressure systems coming in from weather reports. 

Also if regular pain killers like Advil or Tylenol are not working at all, it may again be a neuropathic issue in which these medications would not help at all. 

I would just hate to see people waste years on pain when trying things that would normally work but won't if it is neurological. 

• Like 1

I’ve had similar issues, and no - you’re not imagining it. A prescription medication that’s worked very well for me is Axert (Migraine Therapy). One tiny pill can reverse or at least decrease the intensity of a migraine if taken early enough.

• Like 1

I recently had a major headache and tried the normal medicine for it but alas nothing worked.  I was told by someone to try peppermint oil and apply it to the temples and/or the back of the neck.  I applied some to my temples and it seemed like my eyes were breathing in the smell(I know it doesn't make sense but it did) and within minutes 90% of my headache was gone.  It took a better part of the day for it to leave but I was able to function.

• Like 1

I get migraines or cluster headaches when the pressure changes suddenly, such as when a storm system rolls in.

I can usually avoid it by not sleeping too much oddly enough, I know I'm at risk of having one when I sneeze and feel pressure in my head, like an instant headache for a second or two, I have to take it easy for the rest of the day.

Luckily I have meds which work for me if I do get a migraine, though.