Editing posts - 48 Hour timelimit.

***UPDATE***

EDITING POSTS ABILITY HAS BEEN RESTORED

YOU CAN NOW EDIT POSTS WITHIN 48 HOURS

I had to turn the "editing" feature off.

The reason for this is that some members "Panic" when someone outside this business finds out about them being involved in the business and the first thing they seam to do is ask me to delete all messages they posted and delete everything about them on cerb.

If I was to do this the site would be full of holes (Missing Posts, broken threaded discussions, etc... ) so we do not allow this.

I had to take the "Delete own threads" option our of everyone's account a few years ago because of this but I did leave the ability in some of the elite member accounts (That was not on purpose I just noticed it was still active on some user groups today when disabling the "Edit" feature).

It is so common with the ladies that I had to add a policy in the FAQ area about 2 years ago.

With the edit capability turned on it was being abused to circumvent this policy. Since the members could not "DELETE" the post they would just "EDIT" all the past posts and remove the content of the post (Effectively deleting the post and breaking the site policy)

I am looking for a solution that would allow members to "Edit" a post withing a certain time frame (Say 48 hours) in case you make a type-o or incase the lady posted the wrong dates in her ad or something like that.

I am not sure yet if this is something that can be done but if it can it will be a future upgrade to the site.

Hey MOD, I don't see a problem with the 48hr idea if it is possible.

But I think you should leave it for next weeks work load and go have a few drinks as it is now the weekend!

Go have a drink!

Drinking yet an other reason why you should have a 48hr window to change any threads! Some time when I've been drinking I like to say things that are not true!

Too bad you can't edit what you say!

Apex

As much as I am a stickler for fixing up my typos, it's not the worst thing in the world, not being able to edit - at least we can preview it first.

If worse comes to worse, we can always reply to our own threads to correct mistakes such as wrong dates, etc.

To me a minor inconvenience makes up for the fact this is a free board, it is moderated and not a vicious pit like some of the other boards out there - so I'm willing to live with it.

As for people wanting all their posts deleted as means of "damage control" for those who want to erase their so-called secret life, I agree, it throws the board off.

The problem with "posting a reply" correction is that it BUMPS the thread (and this would be a issue) so I have installed a ANTI-BUMP script that is now suppose to MERGE the posts if you do this and won't actually let you BUMP a post (At least in theory that is what it is suppose to do... we will have to wait and see as it's very new and untested)

The problem with "posting a reply" correction is that it BUMPS the thread (and this would be a issue) so I have installed a ANTI-BUMP script that is now suppose to MERGE the posts if you do this and won't actually let you BUMP a post (At least in theory that is what it is suppose to do... we will have to wait and see as it's very new and untested)

I wonder how this is going to work out? Correct me if I am wrong, I thought it was ok to respond my own advertising threads? Or perhaps I am just too tired. Not being able to edit your posts may make some people mad, and also keep them on their toes too.

I just got bumped - it freaked me out that my two threads got merged.

Thanks for letting us know. I thought there was a glitch in the "matrix" program we're all living in.

Guest Ou**or**n

I truly hope a way is found to allow editing within a short time period. I often go back and edit my posts and losing the ability will quite frankly cause me to simply post less (and I am not the most prolific poster to begin with). I always seem to make some sort of grammatik mistake ;) and I want the ability to correct it so others doe not clue into the fact that I'm an uneducated and quasi-illiterate member.

The 48 hour editing time frame is how it is on the other board, so likely it is possible here too. I hope so, otherwise I would have to proofread my every post many times before I decide to click the Submit Reply button, if I ever dare to click.

BTW, it took me 5 minutes to post this. I read it 5 times, just kidding:).

Yeah, I've been known to go back and edit my posts because after reading it (or after some feedback) I realize I was being a dickhead or something and my post is better off edited. Now without this feature I'll have to face the reality of whatever I say.....ohhh scarrrry!

I am testing the ANTI BUMP ability to add comments to previous posts

Additional Comments:

This is my BUMP post (Additional Comment)

Additional Comments:

Another test?

Additional Comments:

Ok, it's now working. You may notice that if you post twice in a ROW it adds the words (additional Comments) and your additional post info.

I just changed it to say "Additional Comments" some earlier posts today said "Bump:" and I thought that would be confusion?

So now we wait for the "bump" jokes?

Seriously though MOD, you're job is tough enough. Thanks for the compromise.

BUMP AND EDIT

Really don't know if I like it too much. I think there still should be an option where you can go back in and edit your comments.

Especially in the ladies rec area, she is decribed in way too much detail, and not cool with her, meanwhile several other gents read it and say WTF you got all that??

Or you are simply pissed off at someone and you say something that you can't take back?

48 hours is probably a better solution then removing it all together.

Additional Comments:

Another issue is where you try and post a picture, and doesn't work, and can't back in take out the url,the post looks like crap... errrrrrrr just happened in a new thread I started.

BUMP AND EDIT

Really don't know if I like it too much. I think there still should be an option where you can go back in and edit your comments.

Especially in the ladies rec area, she is decribed in way too much detail, and not cool with her, meanwhile several other gents read it and say WTF you got all that??

Or you are simply pissed off at someone and you say something that you can't take back?

Additional Comments:

Another issue is where you try and post a picture, and doesn't work, and can't back in take out the url,the post looks like crap... errrrrrrr just happened in a new thread I started.

Agreed. Recently, similar circumstance was exhausted. It was a nice feature to amend in sequence and accommodate her request.

BUMP AND EDIT

Additional Comments:

Good points Pete.

We need the ability to edit posts and to be honest, I would rather see a much longer time frame than 48 hours.

Actually, I liked the way it was.

this is one of the main reasons I appreciate the edit feature, there have been many times where I have asked my clients to edit their recos concerning me as they have given too much detail or mentioned something that was private between the two of us or gave a way too much personal info about me etc. Not every guy knows the rules about posting recos and not every girl's standards for recos are the same.

this is one of the main reasons I appreciate the edit feature, there have been many times where I have asked my clients to edit their recos concerning me as they have given too much detail or mentioned something that was private between the two of us or gave a way too much personal info about me etc. Not every guy knows the rules about posting recos and not every girl's standards for recos are the same.

Quick question Mod, now that this thread is screwed up

http://www.cerb.ca/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=25346

and if there is other threads shall members just hit- Report This, would that leave you with more work and effort TO DO?

Now the one thread I caught the other day and reported to you, by hitting the report this button, which nobody wants to see around here, if you don't catch it and if the individual wants to edit it, but can't...I think there may be other strong issues on the "keeping the edit button"

Perhaps a poll or vote, could be order.

I once had pasted into a post and submitted it without previewing.

What I had pasted was some very personal detailed information. (real name ...) :shock:

Thank my lucky stars I was able to immediately edit the post.

The edit function is very useful for all posts and necessary for recommendations.

The original problem is some people delete their posts via editing, which messes up threads. People are not likely to do this shortly after they post. More likely weeks and months later when they panicked, they would try to delete their posts.

If it's possible to freeze the editing a week or two after a post is up, it would prove to be a good enough solution. If one couldn't delete all their posts, they might not even try to remove the newer ones. They are likely to cease to bypass the no-delete rule by editing. The rest of us can keep our cherished functionality for a short period of time.

Posted via Mobile Device

Ok, Editing has been restored and limited to 48 hours as I promised I would look into doing for everyone.

Sorry for the day without editing. If you need a post that is more than 2 days old edited or deleted you will need to flag it and give a valid explanation why you need the change or removal.

NOTE: I will NOT remove threads you started if others have taken the time to reply to them either.

Guess we might have to have another informal courtesy rule of passing the reco to the lady for her approval first.

20 hours 40 mins after first post test edit.

Edited by etasman2000
testing :)