When you need to stay up just a bit more

Hi all!

Now there is already a thread about insomnia. What about those nights you need to stay up and coffee just gives you the jitters.

I tend to be so tired sometimes, that napping would be impossible or I booked appointments, in the time I craved a nap.

Would love to know what works for all of you.

,Brody

I am fairly strict on my working hours. If someone wants to book at such and such time after my hours that I allow, I won't see them. However, some nights I don't mind the rare client if I am willing to stay up.

Typically I am in bed by 10pm and I leave my working phone in the living room.

During the day, I am awake and ready because those are my hours and someone could be booking. I go to bed so I am refreshed for the next day, if I am not feeling up to it, I don't advertise but sometimes clients do message me and I do see them.

I am not the person who has her phone on all night and waits for someone to book, I am not the lady to stay awake for them. I've had a few who literally got pissed off because I didn't answer their text messages at 11pm and I wake up to missed calls and then they're mad at me for not answering them when they wanted to see me. See me when the sun is back up. Most of them, I laugh and shake my head.

• Like 1

I always have a hours of operation in my voicemail and on my website but sometimes I want to stay up later as it's some one I don't want to miss out on seeing at wind up having a coffee and being up later because of it :P

Go to Popeye's and ask about their pre workout drinks for weightlifting.

Some of them are pretty potent but not long lasting. N.O.Xplode is one in my experience it gives a good rush but not for too long.

Ones with taurine last much longer and will definitely keep you up all night. Avoid 1MR or Hyde.

• Like 1

If you are not super tired and need a boost, a brisk walk outdoors for fifteen or twenty minutes will do the trick. Or pop on a workout video and do ten minutes of it to get your endorphins flowing.

If you are really tired, I can't make any suggestions as I am much like Amanda and have a very regimented sleep schedule that I stick to.

If you are not super tired and need a boost, a brisk walk outdoors for fifteen or twenty minutes will do the trick. Or pop on a workout video and do ten minutes of it to get your endorphins flowing.

If you are really tired, I can't make any suggestions as I am much like Amanda and have a very regimented sleep schedule that I stick to.

I'm currently getting back into a decent sleep schedule. Struggling with it. Too much creative flow at night. Writing just escalates it further!

• Like 1

I'm currently getting back into a decent sleep schedule. Struggling with it. Too much creative flow at night. Writing just escalates it further!

It is a struggle to get in a sleeping schedule and it's very hard. I used to work overnights and that really screws everything up unless you know what you are doing. In that case I had a schedule for sleep. But, when I went to College I resigned from the job two months in advance, won't lie it was the most horrific transition I had to make. I ended up getting really sick from it.

You go through periods where you sleep during the night you wake up at 7am or something, then maybe later in the morning you are dead tired. So you may nap but that nap isn't a nap it's 6-8 solid sleep. I had times where I woke up at 7am, went back to sleep at 10:30/11am and slept till 4-6pm. It was this constant battle.

You literally need to push yourself not to fall asleep during the day and it will hurt, I developed flu like symptoms because my body was so used to sleeping at certain times of the day. At night, you go to bed at a time where your body will naturally adjust to. So, lets say you currently go to bed at 4am every morning. Go to bed at 3:30am, and then go to bed at 2am, and so on so fourth till you hit that bedtime you want to have. You are more likely to succeed that way. (that is what I did, took a lot of figuring out) during the day try not to feed into taking naps because your tired. Replace it with superfoods.

Naturally I am in bed by 10pm or slightly earlier (some rare times I am up till midnight) but I always wake up between 5am-6am. I have my own personal alarm dog who wakes up and needs to use the washroom at that time and I end up doing something, before I know it it's 8am.

Adjustments are hard.

• Like 1

It is a struggle to get in a sleeping schedule and it's very hard. I used to work overnights and that really screws everything up unless you know what you are doing. In that case I had a schedule for sleep. But, when I went to College I resigned from the job two months in advance, won't lie it was the most horrific transition I had to make. I ended up getting really sick from it.

You go through periods where you sleep during the night you wake up at 7am or something, then maybe later in the morning you are dead tired. So you may nap but that nap isn't a nap it's 6-8 solid sleep. I had times where I woke up at 7am, went back to sleep at 10:30/11am and slept till 4-6pm. It was this constant battle.

You literally need to push yourself not to fall asleep during the day and it will hurt, I developed flu like symptoms because my body was so used to sleeping at certain times of the day. At night, you go to bed at a time where your body will naturally adjust to. So, lets say you currently go to bed at 4am every morning. Go to bed at 3:30am, and then go to bed at 2am, and so on so fourth till you hit that bedtime you want to have. You are more likely to succeed that way. (that is what I did, took a lot of figuring out) during the day try not to feed into taking naps because your tired. Replace it with superfoods.

Naturally I am in bed by 10pm or slightly earlier (some rare times I am up till midnight) but I always wake up between 5am-6am. I have my own personal alarm dog who wakes up and needs to use the washroom at that time and I end up doing something, before I know it it's 8am.

Adjustments are hard.

I want to have a schedule of 11 am to 11pm, but my body doesn't love me enough, to allow me to sleep before midnight. It never has, even when i was little

• Like 1

With 11-11pm schedule you don't need to sleep before midnight. People are awake, what, 16 hours a day? Sleep 8. You need to be up about 9am (?) depending on how long it takes you to get ready. So go to sleep at 1 or 2 am. You are a night owl. If you are planning on doing this for now, then you can choose to stay a night owl. Why fight it? :)

Artificial means to stay awake are fake! If you went to the gym every day you would find more energy to do all that you need to do in your day, until bedtime. And eat good food. Don't order in crap. Eat your fruit/veg and protein but go easy on the carbs, they can be what tires you out at inopportune times. But don't deny yourself sleep. There are processes that take place during sleep that you will be missing. Like a renewal of a hormone (?) that controls your appetite. (starts with an 'L') You miss out on that renewal too much and you can find yourself getting fat.

• Like 2

I want to have a schedule of 11 am to 11pm, but my body doesn't love me enough, to allow me to sleep before midnight. It never has, even when i was little

Same. Growing up my natural bed time always seemed to be 2am. I don't like working too too late. But I have a hard time shutting down and going to bed before midnight. I go to sleep anywhere between 11:30pm and 3 am depending on what I have going on the next day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Guest A*m**er
With 11-11pm schedule you don't need to sleep before midnight. People are awake, what, 16 hours a day? Sleep 8. You need to be up about 9am (?) depending on how long it takes you to get ready. So go to sleep at 1 or 2 am. You are a night owl. If you are planning on doing this for now, then you can choose to stay a night owl. Why fight it? :)

Artificial means to stay awake are fake! If you went to the gym every day you would find more energy to do all that you need to do in your day, until bedtime. And eat good food. Don't order in crap. Eat your fruit/veg and protein but go easy on the carbs, they can be what tires you out at inopportune times. But don't deny yourself sleep. There are processes that take place during sleep that you will be missing. Like a renewal of a hormone (?) that controls your appetite. (starts with an 'L') You miss out on that renewal too much and you can find yourself getting fat.

This is excellent advice. Proper diet, exercise and rest are the most important things you can do to take care of yourself. Better sleep will come if you eat well and stay active. I think we can all be lazy about eating right and getting exercise, or put other people or things before taking care of ourselves, but if you look after yourself first you will be much more able to do the things you enjoy and look after others too.

I agree With Melanie,, eatting the proper Foods Is essential! I am exhausted all the time, and I am in Bed at 9, up at 8! And i could still sleep,, my eatting habits consisted of coffee, Pepsi granola bars chips! Not exactly Canadas Food Guide lol now i eat healthier and I am noticing a difference, try changing up your diet, walking,, thats actually been a help to me, the fresh air wakes You up! Good Luck hun

I agree With Melanie,, eatting the proper Foods Is essential! I am exhausted all the time, and I am in Bed at 9, up at 8! And i could still sleep,, my eatting habits consisted of coffee, Pepsi granola bars chips! Not exactly Canadas Food Guide lol now i eat healthier and I am noticing a difference, try changing up your diet, walking,, thats actually been a help to me, the fresh air wakes You up! Good Luck hun

Oh, I have changed my schedule around and accommodated to myself.

I no longer have high traffic and eat very well and cook. I don't think I have used my microwave, besides melting cheese, since early December!.I stick to my schedule and allow myself 2-3 hours of meditation and winding down, every night. I no longer work weekends unless requested of course, from a regular and if I am available.

I feel like a whole new person and am much more relaxed. I no longer, wind up seeing people, that upset me or deal with many time wasters, since I have changed my lifestyle.

Relaxed Brody is a happy Brody :D

• Like 2

There was a time when I would stay up until really late, sometimes until early morning. Then I set a rule and the latest I would stay up was 2:00 a.m. and now I'm even more disciplined, midnight is my bedtime sometimes I don't even make it. I get up between six and seven every morning and I definitely have more energy than I did before. I would like to sometimes stay up late because I get more inspired when is all quiet but my biological clock doesn't let me and I don't want to push it as like others mentioned having a sleepover by routine is healthier. I'm glad you're doing and feeling better now that your sleeping and eating habits have changed :)

Good thread full of reminders. Does anyone else have problems with sleeping times when the clocks fall back or spring ahead? Even extended for the whole time until the next clock change? perhaps always living on winter time when it is summer or vice versa?

Good thread full of reminders. Does anyone else have problems with sleeping times when the clocks fall back or spring ahead? Even extended for the whole time until the next clock change? perhaps always living on winter time when it is summer or vice versa?

I find my schedule moves around in accordance to everything going on in my life, including my meals and what I am going through.

Change of season can not only change my feelings upon waking up but also make it a struggle to fall asleep.

I tend to sleep a whole lot more in the colder months however and are lot more energetic at later hours. I am determined to stick to being up at 8 every morning

I have noticed I find myself sleepy from 8 pm - 10 Pm if I'm in bed before midnight but after that I get a second wind usually around 11. If I go to bed past midnight, I feel exhausted the next morning and all day. Anyone ever heard of the Chinese organ body clock? http://foreverconscious.com/traditional-chinese-organ-body-clock

I can definitely relate to the chinese clock relating to the adrenals. It all makes senses from what I've experienced.

I can't stay up like I used to lol.

You should not fight your body's needs as this will lead to tons of problems. If you haven't had a full check up you should make an apointment with your doc to rule out anemia, thyroid issues, hypoglycemia or diabetes.

Meanwhile, if you must, vitamin c (red peppers, orange juice) and theobromine (dark chocolate, minimum 70% and preferably raw) are your safest and most effective tools

I myself find the Chinese 'clock' seems to be the closest thing to what I know and recognise in my professional and perrrrsonal life and how my body runs...

Every living being, including humans.. runs according to season... daylight/nighttime.... despite our attempts at overruling these things.. people are much more active in the spring...opening windows, 'clearing out' the dust and 'sleepiness' of winter months.... enjoying a spike in energy.. fruits, green leafy veggies..... and then settling into a much more consistent pace during the summer...

fall.. most 'bodies' turn to storing things (yes.. body fat is one of them *sigh*)... and again 'cleaning or re-organising their homes... in preparation for the long winter...

and in winter.. our favorite activity becomes curling up with a nice comfy blanket and munchies and watching movies.. and diets consisting largely of meats, soups and root veggies (and things like squash, pumpkins, potatoes.. apples).... it's how we are designed.....

If you are having difficulty sleeping.. and a specific medical issue has been ruled out.. it is indeed true.. going to bed between 9 and 11pm is the best time to 'reset' things.. even if all you do is lay there and read for an hour...stay in bed! ;)

but if your diet consists largely of fruits and leafy things..even through winter months..... try more carbs.. root veggies..no sugars after 2pm if possible... and things may indeed change with that simple adjustment...

You can also do a candida test very easily at home.. as sometimes an overgrowth can attribute to all sorts of fun crap.... sleep issues, lethargy.. moodiness.. and muuuuch more

Food for thought <HA!>: Most people try changing their diet, starting an unreal exercise program et al in the dead of winter (new years desolation hehe) and are beating themselves up when they fail... try again in the spring.. *that* is the time for those things.. not when the entire planet is sleeping .. seriously.. *not* your fault ;)

I'm trying not to go on and on here hehe...when I do this for a living hehe it's difficult not to.. but it's sort of second nature for me to do so at times.. so feel free to tell me to shut it ;)

• Like 1