My condom experiment

OK. Since I particularly like coconut oil as lube, I wanted to do my own resistence test.

I'm allergic to latex so here are the three contenders chosen:

latex, Durex Aventi Bare (very old expiring in November 2016)

isopropylene Durex Real Feel (Bare just to confuse everyone!)

polyurethane Trojan Supra non latex

Unfortunately I was out of Skyn and Lambskin but since they are way more expensive and, in the case of Lambskin, do not protect against HIV, this will have to do.

So here is the Test protocol.

1) I unrolled the condom and sucked on them (a-to add saliva enzymes to mimic real life agressors b-because I was trying to figure which one to use for BJ.) Except for the latex one obviously.

2) I put an ounce of coconut oil inside the condom and did not tie the top

First test will be to see if oil seeps through. I will conduct that one for 3 hours.

Second test, I will tie the survivors and then roll them round and round inside a melon I guess, or maybe the salad spiner... Still got time to think about this...

Note that the pics need to be moderated so that may not show right away.

So I started the test at 14:07.

picture.php?albumid=11835&pictureid=80943

At 14:48, I checked on my test subjects. There was some seeping on the latex and even more on the polyurethane one. I decided to give them the benefit of the doubt and gently pat dried the receptacle, thinking it may have been some from when I filled them, or lub gravitating down from the heat.

latex one

picture.php?albumid=11835&pictureid=80940

polyisoprene one

picture.php?albumid=11835&pictureid=80941

polyurethane one

picture.php?albumid=11835&pictureid=80942

Will update later....

• Like 4

Microscopic tears or holes are not visible to the eye...

Coconut oil (any oil, really) may break down the integrity of the condom, meaning, with friction the condom may tear. So this would not be apparent in your experiment.

• Like 5

Ok so at 21:40, I decided my 7 hours experiment was enough lol.

Here is the look of it.

picture.php?albumid=11835&pictureid=80959

Seeping in Latex and polyurethane

picture.php?albumid=11835&pictureid=80960

The dabbing reservoirs test: confirms no seeping for the polyisoprene one.

The touch test

• Latex and polyurethane are very oily at the surface, especially the polyurethane.
  • Polyisoprene doesn't leave any oil trace on my forearm dry skin.

The smell test

• Latex smell is awkward less unpleasant than the regular latex smell, not really coconuty nor latexy, rather a (oh my scary) new compound
  • Polyurethane reeks coconut oil (i do mean reeks... the smell is not pleasant like i normally find coconut oil... probably the esthers concentrated and grabbed some urethane proprieties during seepage...)
  • Polyisoprene: no smell (except for the very light normal polyisoprene smell)

The taste test

I made that one to insure it really was oil and not lubricant early in the afternoon. I ended up with a swollen lip (latex allergy) for 2 hours grrr.

• Latex: yep same taste as the smell, adding the viscosity sensation which was slightly ticker than normal coconut oil.
  • Polyurethane: yucky yak yak
  • Polyisoprene: no taste other than its normal taste

The pressure test

Ok I gave up the friction test by laziness and because the results already were obvious. But I decided to try the pressure test. After all, college students make balloons out of condoms so it should be able to withstand some pressure.

The caveat of that test is that i could not use a standard amount of air liquid proportion in the condom as I tied it approximately. Therefore my compression effort might not have created the same amount of pressure in each subject.

picture.php?albumid=11835&pictureid=80961

Polyisoprene pressure a little less than what made it burst.

So

• Latex: it actually withstanded a fair amount of rubbing and pressure and blew only when it was squeezed and i pushed a finger in. Given it was near expiry date, that was a fair battle.
  • Polyurethane: I fought with that little sucker with both hands and it would not burst but, it felt like it might have been releasing pressure, either by seepage or by the tie... This is frustrating given that polyurethane break IRL! I suspect the oil gave it more expandability...
  • Polyisoprene: I had great hopes for that one. After all, it had not leaked. Which does not mean that degradation had not occured. I also think I wanted it to work so bad that I was harsher on it... So... I did not have to actually poke it... At some point of hand compression it burst like a soap bubble :-( Since it was my third compression and I was getting good at it, I think I may have made the tie a little closer to the oil, increasing pressure. But the definite no mercy burst was quite disappointing.

picture.php?albumid=11835&pictureid=80962

Darn...

I have decided to redo the test one with water as a control and one with water-based lube. I want to know if the isopropylene burst was due to degradation or to pressure. I might also redo the coconut test afterwards but for a shorter span (like 1 hour: after all most penetrative play normaly don't last more than 20 min on avg people; and it is perfectly acceptable to take a short break after 40 min to take a sip of water and switch condom for extended play)

• Like 6

As promise phase 2 of my condom experiment.

Protocol

• I sucked on the condoms to put some saliva enzymes on them. (Except latex)
  • I filled the condoms with water and let them hang for about 10 hours.
  • Then i tied them and squeezed them until burst.

picture.php?albumid=11835&pictureid=80995

None of them leaked any water. As for the pressure, their resistence were much better than after 7 hours holding coconut oil.

• Latex: Could not get it to break until I removed all the loose part and then squeezing, i had to sort of snap the membrane with my other hand to finally have it burst.
  • Polyurethane: it gave up before the latex but still put up a good fight
  • Polyisoprene: Once more it showed that pressure is not its strong suit... It snaped burst twice faster than the others but only maybe once longer than the coconut one. That may be why it has a much larger reservoir than the others...

Conclusions: despite the lack of really objective measures, it appeared obvious that condoms resisted better or a lot better to destruction tests if they had not been submitted to oil.

In phase 3, I plan to do a modified coconut test exposure to the polyisoprene with 4 polyisoprene subjects.

The objective will be to identify if air exposure weakens the polyisoprene.

We know that it does not leak either water or coconut oil.

Compare to the others, the external surface was very dry by the end of the experiment. Could it affects its elasticity, making it more vulnerable to burst? Or maybe because dryer, I was getting a better grasp making the squeezing more effective?

For that test, one subject will be filled with oil and tied while the other subject will carry oil and will be immersed in coconut oil. Special attention will be given to the tying to make both as similar as possible

For the second test, one subject will be inflated with a bicycle pump until it burst. The second subject will be inflated after having soaked in coconut oil for 15 min.

Stay tune!

• Like 2

I like how you refer to the condoms as 'subjects' and 'survivors'.

I had always heard oil breaks down condoms, i didn't think it matter if latex or non latex really. I think your experiment confirms that even if the oil is coconut oil that it will still break down the condom.

I am not sure that i would ever recommend any organic matter to be used as a lubricant anyway. I think it would upset the balance in the vag in a way that the regular lubricants, once you find one that works right for your body.

Thanks for taking the time to do this and post your results. This is really interesting and I was under the impression that polyurethane was more safe with oil than it appears to be.

That being said, I would caution against anyone generalizing to different types of oils, because the size of the hydrocarbons may make a big difference. A common demonstration at university health presentations is to b1ow up a latex condom and then rub mineral oil on it with your fingertips... tends to cause breakage very quickly. Coconut oil may be more gentle.

One experiment I might suggest is adding a defined amount of water to each one to create a consistent internal pressure, tying them off, and then applying vigorous rubbing with oil and measuring time until breakage. I know you mentioned that you gave up on a friction test, but unless I'm missing something (I may have just missed it) you didn't mention exactly how the friction test was being done.

Thank you for your comments! I am still going to do more of the testing promised. This week was just crazy with the start of new fiscal year at income stabilizer day job.

I like your suggestions. I should be able to do some testing later today.

I was completely horrified that polyurethane was seeping so much given that we are always told that it is safe to use with oils!!!

• Like 1

Will you also be doing a test for heat and friction?

Indeed, I have finally decided on a protocol! I'm going to start the tests Friday. Hopefully the results by Wednesday :-)

• Like 3