Anyone taking Lipitor ?

Hi are you taking Lipitor for your cholesterol problems.

Take a look at this link

http://www.peoplespharmacy.com/build/mt-search.cgi?blog_id=1&tag=Lipitor&limit=20

also google Lipitor side effects

I just took myself off and I feel a lot better.

Side effects are:

Memory loss, Brain fog

Muscle and joint pain

Erectile dysfunction.

numbness. nerve damage.

insomnia

and many others.

For some people this is a very dangerous drug if you do some

research on the internet.

Please do your research if you are taking this drug.

You may find it to be the cause of some of your problems.

I did.

Lipitor is the most powerful of all the statins (at least last I read).

My doctor wanted to put me on these & warned me of some of the side effects - muscle weakness, memory issues, etc. No thanks!

Try Niacin (not the non-flush formula).

My family has a history of high cholesterol. I have onions with meat whenever I have it, and it does wonders (uncooked)

Guest k***na

Thanks for this.

I definitely will be looking more into this as my dad suffers from high cholesterol, diabetes and high blood pressure.

He was taking Zocor but now taking Lipitor. Time to do some research.

I don't have a problem with cholesterol, but I know several people who do. Statins can be very dangerous drugs! If you take them, please, please, please do a ton of research and consider what you learn very carefully!

Lipitor is the number one selling statin drug in North America, in part because drug companies are allowed to market products directly to consumers in the US. We don't allow that in Canada. Lipitor is the subject of a number of class-action lawsuits in the States because it has debilitating, irreversible effects on muscles. A good friend of mine has permanent damage in his shoulders as a result of taking this drug. Lipitor is also associated with cognitive impairment. The drug manufacturer says that this goes away when patients stop taking it, but that may not always be the case.

The drug companies all deny that there's a link between statins and erectile dysfunction, but patient experience doesn't agree. Because of the problems associated with muscle wasting, it may not be a good thing to wait it out, hoping that any ED you may experience will get better over time.

When you're reading up on statins, have a good look at research related to cholesterol and heart disease, too. Independent studies may surprise you! Cholesterol very likely is not the demon we've been told it is and dietary cholesterol is generally a problem only if one is also eating a low-fat diet.

Don't take my word for it, though. Check it out yourself!

Guest Wa**ard S**

I've been on Lipitor successfully now for about 5 years. Other statins did cause me considerable side-effects and had to be discontinued based upon my blood-work and in consultation with my doctor. Lipitor is one of the older ones in the statin family of meds for treating hypercholestemia or hyperlipidemia. I eat a diet from the Canadian Diabetes Association and from Heart and Stroke Canada along with a high fitness program. Zocor, Baycol (recalled) and Lipidil all caused me grief/side-effects. I'm also diabetic and have mild hypertension. It may take some time to get one's meds dialed in to be effective and to minimize side effects. We are all different and our bodies react differently.

http://webprod3.hc-sc.gc.ca/dpd-bdpp/index-eng.jsp is a good place to start your research in consultation with your physician about any medication.

I live a healthy, active lifestyle yet I suffer from these conditions due to my genetics and not because of what I eat, don't eat or exercise. Had I not been doing these things I probably would not be sitting here right now in my mid-sixties. Unfortunately, most if not all medications have side-effects to some degree and the hard part is finding the right one that will treat the condition without causing damage or loss of quality of life. My doctor is very good about monitoring me and listens when I tell him about side-effects of medications. When your doctor prescribes a medication enquire about potential side-effects and discuss the issue again with your pharmacist...I have a good relationship with both. Sometimes, you will not feel just quite right and that should be a red flag. Stay well, please.

Edited by Wa**ard S**
Spelling (as usual) duh! LOL

Phuck Big Pharma!

Google red rice yeast

Read the user comments regarding red rice yeast on Iherb, Amazon, Vitacost, etc.

Do your homework, make up your own mind. If and when I have high bad cholesterol, I'll be taking red rice yeast.

People who eat one or two eggs on a daily basis have higher good cholesterol and lower bad shit.

A glass or two of red wine a day can't hurt.

Cinnamon extract supplements may lower blood sugar levels.

Daily beet juice (Superstore or where ever...Biotta brand) may lower blood pressure.

Most importantly, eliminate all junk, fast, and processed foods. You are what you eat. Get as close to nature as possible; eat foods nature gave us instead of all this prepackaged shit with their long lists of unpronounceable ingredients.

Once you get your body back on track, you'll start having 16-year-old era hardons again. Trust me, I know. :-)

Research is a great idea before you put any damn drug in your body, including over-the-counter medication. As a side-note, all of my research (wasting time surfing basically) and personal experimentation indicates that marijuana is one of the safest drugs of them all!

• Like 3

A number of years ago my doctor prescribed Lipitor. I took it for a while, but generally just felt unwell while I was on it. Hard to describe, but sort of sluggish and just not myself. Took myself off it and felt better immediately. I started exercising more, stopped eating donuts at Tim's and within 3 months my cholesterol was just fine.

I also changed doctors

Porthos

I'm glad for all the feedback so far.

Just wanted to let me people know what could happen to them.

If they are on Lipitor or other Statins.

If it wasn't so serious it would almost be funny

And it's not just Lipitor

Some other medications, you've probably seen ads on tv for them, and your left shaking your head wondering...because the cure is worse than any disease the medication is treating

For example, celebrex for arthritis. One minor little side effect, may lead to death

Or chantix to stop smoking, only side effects can include depression, agitation or suicidal thoughts or actions

If at all possible, your doctor and you should work together to find natural ways (diet for example) instead of the first prescription that comes along

A quick rambling

RG

• Like 1

Metamucil reduces cholesterol yes? This stuff is like majic, takes all the waste and puts it together to keep it from getting absorbed, especially fat.

Additional Comments:

Some other medications, you've probably seen ads on tv for them, and your left shaking your head wondering...because the cure is worse than any disease the medication is treating

For example, celebrex for arthritis. One minor little side effect, may lead to death

Or chantix to stop smoking, only side effects can include depression, agitation or suicidal thoughts or actions

If at all possible, your doctor and you should work together to find natural ways (diet for example) instead of the first prescription that comes along

A quick rambling

RG

It's soo true RG, last year, I thought for sure I was having a heart attack..but it turned out to be anxiety..The hospital wouldn't let me leave until I made arrangements to see a psychiatrist as an out patient. So I went.. After meeting with the psychiatrist for an hour she decided I should be on medication. I took them as prescribed. In less than two weeks I couldn't get out of bed. I was crying all day long and hoped to die everyday. It was awful. I reported the side effects the next visit and the doctor decided to INCREASE my dose?! She said that I have to get used to the side effects. Long story short I insisted that I could no longer take them, she raised her voice and kicked me out of her office for non-compliance.

I have a rare combination of insomnia/pseudo neuro illusions and even rarer allergic reaction to most medications. For example, one medication I took is for epileptics, they actually gave me mini seizures. Now I have to take a hypnotic drug, and the side effects are..well..let's just say I have been writing this for fifteen minutes now.

• Like 1

Guest Wa**ard S**

Isn't that the truth as it seems that if the conditions won't kill you the cure/meds will. I don't like having to take the meds I do but they work and the side-effects have been minimal. Potential side-effects from many are frightening to say the least for many of the meds out there...sometimes I think I'd rather remain sick!!! LOL Eating properly, running and weight training have helped a lot over the years keeping a lot of meds away. No wonder there are so many over-medicated Seniors these days as well.

A quick rambling

RG

Guest N***he**Ont**y

I have been taking non flush niacin for the past five weeks and I believe it is making a difference. I am going to have myself tested again at the 8 week mark and see how it is working out. I seem to feel better and somethings are working better for me now.

Edited by N***he**Ont**y

With all the serious side effects some drugs have you have to wonder how often the doctor is more influenced to use (prescribe) it to his/her patients by the pharmaceutical industry, than by the best interests of his/her patients.

A rambling

RG

I've been taking the drug for many years. I have what I would consider a good family physician. He does regular blood tests and monitors my health on a regular basis, and is a good listener and always ready to discuss the issues around any of his recommendations.

I think we get so much conflicting information from the internet and some of it incorrect and irrelevant. I think as we age it's necessary to accept professional advice. Sure, if you do need drugs some experimenting with types and dosage may be necessary to find the combination that fits your needs. You can drive yourself doing research on such a wide ranging subject as treatment for cholesterol.

I don't have a cholesterol issue but I am 58 and had a stress test which I passed no problem. Even with good results the cardiologist involved recommended that I start using a statin. When I spoke with my GP about it he said they're some of the most dangerous class of drugs that he could presribe so we agreed that as long as my numbers were good why bother. So we didn't.

Peace

MG

IMHO this is definitely a YMMV area. I've been on Lipitor for years. A quick dance through Google would indicate that I should be dead by now but I've had no negative side-effects.

But then, picking one article at random, The Dangers of Statin Drug Use, and going the extra step of checking the author's credentials, I find the author is not a doctor, a researcher or a scientist. He is "studying to be a direct marketing copywriter to provide a needed service to those who must market their products either through print media or online."

When cholesterol is under discussion, is it HDL, LDL, or VLDL?

My point is that it is easy to fall into a trap of being overly simplistic and/or not verifying the sources.

None of which, by the way, is intended to say I negate anyone else's experiences, good, bad, or terrible.

The active ingredient in Metamucil is psyllium husk powder; all the rest is additive crap.

You can buy organically grown psyllium husk many places, including here.

I have it and it whisks up just like Metamucil, without all the added artificial aforementioned crap!

I don't have a very high regard for the medical-pharmaceutical industries. They got thousands of

good people hooked on what is basically heroin (via oxycontin, percocets, etc.) when there are

much safer ways to make the pain go away (puff, puff). Phuck Pharma!

Edited by oldblueeyes
  • Like 1

I have been off lipitor for 6 weeks now, and I feel so much better.

No more muscle inflamation, joint pains, memory loss, brain fog.

It can even cause diabetes 2

I even found people complain of Rupture Achilles tendons, which I tore in September.

People should google, lipitor and side effects.

It is scary, some people should not be on this stuff..

Natural remedies,

lecticin

B3

virgin coconut oil.

Guest D****13

Can you actually get off Lipitor or any other prescribed drugs related to high cholestherol? I've been prescribed Lipitor approximately 10 years ago and switched a couple years to another similar drug. I feel like I'm taking it for nothing as I'm working out at least 5 times a week and eating healthy.

I should get a blood test for cholesterol soon!

Guest N***he**Ont**y

Check out the use of Non Flush Niacin that is being used for your condition. I have been using this for over 2 months and I feel great.

After 4 months off Lipitor. I feel so much better. I can exercise without pain. and have gotten in great shape. lost 10 lbs. Only problem left is insomnia.:)

Anybody else take themself off Lipitor yet?

After 9 month, off Lipitor. I have been feeling so much better.

I started taking a product called Natural Calm for my insomnia, and it seems to help. I've been looking into Magnesium products and have found that 80% of people are deficient in it. It is involved in 325 chemical functions in my body.

I have been on it for a month and my last Dr's appointment, showed that my blood sugar levels has gone down, blood pressure normal, cholesterol gone down, weight has gone down. and no more twitch muscles .

There's a whole list of symptoms that demonstrate magnesium deficient. Magnesium is also a natural Statin, it may be able to replace Lipitor.

After a year off Lipitor, feeling much better.

You can do better by exercising more and eating healthier.

the risk from taking Lipitor for some people is far worst then having high cholesterol.

• Like 1

CoQ10 & The Trouble with Statins

I was having minor left chest pain which may have been angina or it may just have been acid reflux, but whatever it was, I just realized today that I don't have it anymore, not since starting CoQ10. And another thing, if your brain's made of cholesterol, do statins make you stupid? I don't care about cholesterol anyway.

I'd rather got out with a massive heart attack.