Facebook and People You May Know

Hey all,

Its happened a few times on my FB where a SP i have seen appears in the list of people i may know.

Of course i am gentlemanly enough that i wont make contact.

But i find this strange ? How is FB able to make that connection even with no shared friends.

FYI Dont ask who popped up.

Hey all,

Its happened a few times on my FB where a SP i have seen appears in the list of people i may know.

Of course i am gentlemanly enough that i wont make contact.

But i find this strange ? How is FB able to make that connection even with no shared friends.

FYI Dont ask who popped up.

Likely has to do with your email address. If the one you use to register on FB is the same you used to contact her, they likely made the connection. That's why I got an address dedicated only to SP communications to avoid this.

Likely has to do with your email address. If the one you use to register on FB is the same you used to contact her, they likely made the connection. That's why I got an address dedicated only to SP communications to avoid this.

Thats not it. I, like you, have my hobby account. Its not linked to my FB.

Weird. Never happened to me. Maybe your cellphone number or you're both member of the same book club.

This is true if you've likely taken the extra security precaution of adding your phone number to the account to prevent unauthorized access.

Example: I joined SnapChat for about a minute. As soon as I had done so, I was presented with a laundry list of people who were in my contacts through the phone, FriendFace, and Instagorm who were also on SnapChat. These programs find any commonality that they can use to aggregate 'friends' for you. This makes you more engaged on their service and makes it more likely that you'll stay because of the personal connections.

This is true if you've likely taken the extra security precaution of adding your phone number to the account to prevent unauthorized access.

Example: I joined SnapChat for about a minute. As soon as I had done so, I was presented with a laundry list of people who were in my contacts through the phone, FriendFace, and Instagorm who were also on SnapChat. These programs find any commonality that they can use to aggregate 'friends' for you. This makes you more engaged on their service and makes it more likely that you'll stay because of the personal connections.

That could be it. It must be residual as i removed my phone number from my FB account.

I have different email accounts and no phone no. linked to my FB, and yet, there was one popular lady who kept popping up on the suggested friends list a while ago. I just completely ignored it and it seems to have stopped now.

I came across a few sp over the years scrolling through my friends list and so on and I had one as a friend on there who is associated with other sp. Some of the ones I came across is when I put them on my blacklist of not to see. I won't get into the details about who and why. There are some sp that have their phone numbers linked to their facebook account which in my opinion could be dangerous.

Not to hijack this thread here is something that has happened to us at our house and it does not involve anyone from Lyla. My wife was on our facebook site and we started talking about getting someone to clean the windows on the house and boom withing 5 minutes their are ads about local window cleaners. Weird? I think so. Same thing for duct cleaning, ads start popping up. Are we being invaded by microphone in our phones?

Don't be surprised if we are ! Just saying !

When we clicked "accept" on the Facebook aps, we all agreed to this. We gave them the right to spy on us in order to bundle us and sell us to their advertisers. It's amazing how easily we as a society have signed away all of our rights to privacy.

• Like 3

From the beginning of Facebook(mid 2K's), the "friend" search engine was surprisingly effective or intrusive depending on who you ask. After a few weeks, I received many requests and suggestions from ex-gf's obviously generating some awkward conversations. On the flip side, a search with an email address could occasionally give you everything you wanted to know about someone. Useful, but obviously showed how careless many were about their private information. In one instance, I was dealing with an SP via email and using the Facebook search found pretty much everything about her personal life. With constant legal battles about privacy issues, many changes were done making those searches no longer possible. But I learned from it and my Facebook page contains the strict minimum and my account is only used for quick registration on many websites. For me, it will remain one of many stalkers tools and not much else.

I think I'm the only person left that does not have a FB account...or Twitter for that matter. Thanks for confirming my decision. I'm not a conspiracy theorist. It's not a theory if you prove its true :)

I think I'm the only person left that does not have a FB account...or Twitter for that matter. Thanks for confirming my decision. I'm not a conspiracy theorist. It's not a theory if you prove its true :)

It's not about the social media, but what you post on it. Twitter is mostly made for trolls and Facebook for people who want to share more. Whatever platform you use, one should always assume the entire world can see it. The same goes with virtual hard drives(the Cloud). No matter the administrator, it's never 100% safe. If you don't want someone to know or see something, just don't post it online. Many lost their jobs and families because they wrongly assumed what they posted would remain private. And this includes message boards like Lyla and others.

Privacy settings constantly evolved over the years. But users also need to educate themselves to stop posting stuff that never should have been put online in the first place. People can't always blame the tools for their own mistakes.

Facebook is crazy spooky.

I too have had ladies I've visited or even just contacted once on my friends list. I figured the convection to my phone connected us or email.

I am now super careful never to used anything my wife uses as far as phone, iPod or computer, I have a private email set up and am getting a burner phone so nothing can get traced back.

Crazy to think but I'm sure Facebook has exposed a few in this hobby....be careful everyone...don't be one of them.

Alternately, I get so many people in this list of 'people you may know' that I really DON'T know, that it would be impossible to sort them out. These are likely friends of friends who are only tangentially connected.The only one making that connection is likely you.

"Honey, why are all of these cute, young, dark-skinned women showing up in your feed?"

"Dunno. They have to be SOMEBODY'S friends, I suppose."

Sorted.

My trick is to stay single. Amazing how when you are not doing anything "wrong", you don't seem to give a crap about who pops up on your screen. :) :)

My trick is to stay single. Amazing how when you are not doing anything "wrong", you don't seem to give a crap about who pops up on your screen. :) :)

Just because you don't currently need your right to privacy doesn't mean you should give it away so easily....

• Like 1

Just because you don't currently need your right to privacy doesn't mean you should give it away so easily....

I hear ya....but you're talking to a huge "conspiracy" (I hate to even use that word - it was cool 5-7 years ago - now it just as too many connotations) guy.

I am looking at buying a crazy-ass water filter thingy just to get the fluoride out of my water......trust me when I say I'm as invisible as I can make myself, given I use Facebook, Lyla, etc., etc. lol

Oddly enough, I have yet to get any of the criss-cross requests/messages, etc. though.....

• Like 1