Homemade salad dressings

Guest MontyChrista7

Hello everyone,

So I've started a diet as of yesterday and going to be eating a lot of salads. 1 month of salads to be exact. Still chicken here and there and lots of beans for protein.

Anyway, in order to cut out the creamy dressings(my favs...ranch.cesar dressings) i want to make some homemade dressings.

Does anybody have any homemade salad recipes?

There are limitless options, as long as you maintain a 3 parts oil to 1 part acid.

As an example l put 3 parts olive oil in a small jar and squeeze 1 part lemon juice into it, and then give it a good shake. Slmple but works great, and you can always salt, pepper, spices or even a teaspoon of mustard, or substitute red wine vinegar instead of lemon juice to taste.

Hope this helps, must be adventurous.

• Like 3

Isn't dressing unhealthy in general? I always was told not to eat salads with any sort of dressing because it's not good for me :(

On 6/5/2018 at 11:50 AM, Boomer said:

Boomers post is absolutely perfect!

I just wanted to pop in and share one of my favorite dressing profiles as well...

2 parts veg oil, 1 part olive oil (i find straight up olive can be a bit biiter for myself), 1 part lime juice (and zest!) , a tbsp of honey, salt pepper and please dont forget the cumin, oh and fresh cilantro if its your thing. Mix it and shake it baby ❤️ (or emulsify if you have a hand blender)  I adore using it in my black bean and sweet corn salsa which goes with litterally EVERYTHING! 

If your a fan of creamy dressings, you could always thin them out with a bit of oil to make it a tad bit healthier, but still not as nutritious as oil and vinager based...

Edited by Kitten

On 6/5/2018 at 9:18 AM, MontyChrista7 said:

My fav:

3/4 cup of light tasting olive oil

1/4 cup apple cider vinegar

2tsp raw sugar or splenda, to balance the flavour profile

a touch of mustard, to act as a binder... keeps the oil and vinegar from separating so easily 

salt and pepper to taste

super simple and will keep for a week.

Cheers!

On 6/5/2018 at 9:18 AM, MontyChrista7 said:

Hello everyone,

So I've started a diet as of yesterday and going to be eating a lot of salads. 1 month of salads to be exact. Still chicken here and there and lots of beans for protein.

Anyway, in order to cut out the creamy dressings(my favs...ranch.cesar dressings) i want to make some homemade dressings.

Does anybody have any homemade salad recipes?

• Like 2

On 6/6/2018 at 3:40 AM, crowdedroom said:

Isn't dressing unhealthy in general? I always was told not to eat salads with any sort of dressing because it's not good for me 😞

No. If dressing includes a good fat, like olive oil, then a salad as a meal that includes fat will allow you feel full longer. Nuts are also a good fat that can be included. A protein added can also make it feel like a real meal. Proteins can be beans, or chic peas, or seeds, not just meat.

Others suggested lemon juice...how is lemon juice not good for you? It has vitamin C and trace amounts of needed minerals. Olive oil is a monounsaturated (saturated is the root word) fat and contains omega fatty acids. It's not fat that is the enemy but the TYPE of fat.

The creamy dressings contain a mixture of bad stuff. It may even the process that allows it to stay creamy that is harmful, but don't quote me. I am not going to research it for you. Google is your friend. But putting dressing on a salad is not bad. Just choose the right kind of dressing. And if you hanging on to information you obtained years ago, or listened to someone who obtained that information, first, years ago, then it's time to update.

Edited by TorontoMelanieJolliet
additional info