Window 7 private window

I recently got a new computer that came with window 7 in it and I have to get used to it because I used to run windows XP Pro and I understood it well now this computer is totally different. When I surf the internet for work related stuff I use the regular window menu and when I want to search my personal stuff I always use private window menu but this is getting into trouble because my wife will look up on my tablet at home which runs under the same google account as my work and will see some(not all) of the site I visit. So far it was not terribly bad site and i got away with it.

What do I need to do so that the sites that I visit don't show up on my tablet at home or my new smart phone? I don't want to stop visiting all the sites that I do.

Please help.

• Like 1

are two devices synching because of your browser (I use Firefox and have my PC & phone synched) or because you are logged into same GMAil account?

Additional Comments:

your browser should allow you to open a New private Window - whether its Chrome or Firefox

• Like 1

I would assume you are using explorer to browse the internet. When you log into one device, your windows account is syncing between all the other devices to make your future searches easier.

I would suggest installing either chrome or firefox and using the private mode for either of them.

• Like 1

Guest S****r

If you are using the Chrome browser, go to your settings (click the three line symbol in the upper right hand corner of the browser) then scroll down and click on "settings."

Look at the "'sign in" section"

Click on "advanced sync settings"

Remove the check marks from "history" and any others that you don't want to show up elsewhere.

Good luck!

Which browser are you using? In any case, it doesn't really matter: download another one that isn't on your tablet, and use private mode in that browser for the stuff you don't want the wife to see.

• Like 1

I use Firefox and that is not what I use on my tablet or my phone. I think its connected through my gmail account. I tried to un sync the 2 on the pop down menu on the top right corner of the screen and it still does it. If I pick in my favorite menu nothing will show but if I go to a new site it will show. I have to do a clean up every time I visit a site that I want to keep private.

I tried duckduckgo and can't find Lyla on it. What I found was if I use internet explorer as a search engine and simply press control-shift-P it will take me to a private window where no one can keep track of what I do.

This is what I found so far that works. The only disadvantage I have so far is to copy paste pictures on to Lyla, so sorry folks who enjoys the pictures I post. Until I can find a way to do so no pictures for me here.

I realize that most people don't have a lot of extra money lying around so everyone in the house can have their own computer but accessing Lyla from the same computer system your spouse routinely uses seems dangerous.

I agree, private or incognito browsing is a big help. You mentioned that DuckDuckGo (which doesn't keep a record of your searches) has trouble finding Lyla, the fact that you wouldn't just go and type the URL in directly in the location bar instead of having to use a search engine to find it indicates that you probably aren't the world's most computer literate guy which is clearly the case for many people.

You definitely want to be careful here as it is easy to leave evidence when you didn't mean to. Maybe she gets suspicious one day and has one of her friends help her install a program of the type often used to monitor children's computer use that silently takes a snap shot of the screen and stores it for later review every time it changes significantly.

Once you are caught red handed there is no undoing it.

• Like 1