Winnipeg police arranging meets online, chief referring to johns as "predators"

Sorry for any cross-post issues. There has been some discussion of this on the other board:

http://m.winnipegsun.com/2016/12/06/...asingly-online

Over the course of that discussion, it was noted that on Radio One's The Current, during the show, whose focus was missing/murdered indigenous women, the new chief referred to johns in general as "the predators".

I won't repeat my comments there, the gist of which was: the overall (unintended) effect of all of this, I think, is to antagonize some of the people who might actually be able to help in investigations, like the laws themselves criminalizing buyers and infantilizing sellers.

I have heard that something along these lines (meets being arranged) has already happened recently, leading to multiple arrests.

Just a reminder: be careful out there. There are things we should always be wary of (regardless of stings or scams): ads that say "text only" for example. That could mean someone doesn't want you to know they don't sound the way they describe themselves: that they are not a woman, or are not the exotic foreign-sounding person they claim to be, or in any case, do not feel comfortable dealing with the you over the phone.