Diets? Your experience

Hi.

I'm not sure if people are interested, but I know many of you have tried many diet plans. Wanted to get your opinions on the ones you've tried. Describe it and whether it worked or not. Whether you recommend it or not.

To start, I've tried the Atkins Diet.

This is a very low carb diet that encourages eating meat, fat and vegetables. Bacon is allowed on this diet. Very little carbs are allowed on this diet.

Does it work. Yes it does work, weight loss is very fast.

but it's hard to stay on, takes a lot of discipline not to eat carbs,

ie. bread, grains, cereals, deserts etc.

It can get tiring tot eat meat, bacon, eggs and just vegetables with very little starch. But you can loose a great deal of weight very rapidly if you can stick to it.

But once you go back to eating regular food again, the weight comes back.

Now lets here your experiences ?

• Like 3

Diets have never really worked for me. As soon as you tell me I can't eat something it is all I crave. I recently started working out and trying to eat healthier... just in general. Moderation is key. I don't deprive myself but I make conscious decisions about what I eat and try to find healthier solutions to my favorite treats. The small things add up.

I'm starting to gain weight back as I am building muscle but I had lost 15lb at my peak. My waist is 4.4" smaller. I have always been small so any more would be too much. I'm just maintaining now :)

• Like 2

I don't like diets that eliminate entire food groups. I had good success with Weight Watchers many years ago, and have heard the same feedback from others.

It teaches you how to eat and encourages choosing items from all types of food, usually I think now you have these little points cards, so you pick items until you get to your day's totals. so you can eat your favourites, but they might cost you a lot of points. eventually you get used to eating a healthy diet, in moderate amounts at regular intervals.

The main thing is that there isn't any of that 'going back" to what you normally eat, because all along you are eating what you like to eat anyway.

the easiest way to lose weight and maintain it is to just change one thing, and add one healthy thing. So if you drink 2 beers at the end of the day, cut back to one. If you eat fast food 5 times a week, cut back to 2 times a week or choose the healthier FF options. then you add one thing,, like in the time that you were drinking that extra beer, now you are going to walk around the block after you return home, and before you go inside. or you will start drinking 8 glasses of water a day. or take the stairs, or do crunches while watching tv, etc etc.

WW also has prepared meals and treats available if you don't want to take the time to prepare stuff. :)

• Like 4

I just hear the word "diet" and all i can think is chicken,tuna, brocoli and egg whites...:( yeah that was what i ate the most when i was preparing for competition! i know its not like just watching your diet and eating healthy...its a bit...hum...a lot more drastic and can drive you crazy and very irritable :vatefaire:!!

One good thing though It taught me good eating habit...5-6 smaller meals instead of 3 big ones, It's a life style change! It took me at least a year to accept that i will not eat peanut butter toast in the morning anymore lol (when preparing for a competition) and its funny how our brain works...now that im not competing i can eat whatever i want but i dont! tell me i can't eat a burger and i will crave for it:confused:

To answer the OP...I have tried them all...the best diet is no diet...smart and moderate eating habit...IMO

• Like 2

I follow what I consider an eating plan. I do tend to keep my starchy carbs lower especially after dinner .

As a former champion in Canadian Bodybuilding I know exactly what it takes to make my body look what ever way needed for any given situation.

The rub here is most of know what we need to do to achieve whatever our idea is of fab. I have all the knowledge but sometimes my love for that tasty and delicious glass of wine takes me off track.

Again moderation , most of us are never going to be perfect so lets all move slowly doing the best we can, making small changes and pleasing our selves. This is the most important

goal.

• Like 2

I think that's the same with all diets, isn't it? :)

• Like 2

Um I don't think fancy English beers consumed at the lodge are particularly good either. Just saying...

Fancy English beers? We can't afford THOSE at the lodge. Neither can we afford fancy Belgian beers, fancy German beers, fancy American beers, fancy Czech beers or fancy Canadian beers. We are, alas, down to drinking 50 at the moment. Turns out it's not so bad, if you drink enough of it...

So, could you bring a truck-load of decent beer with you next time you visit? The truck is important - I need something to distract Lee and OD while I run off with the beer :)

Done my handsome darling . These boys will no doubt be slinking around trying to get in on the " good stuff" . We will find a place secret to us and dam they can find their own ladies to cater to them.

Old Dog and Lee Richards are the best so do you think I ought to put a nice "cheaper selection " together for them? They will however drink anything I am told!!

You know them better, what do you think?

• Like 1

I've struggled with weight to some degree most of my adult life. I've always. Found whatever successes usually came from balanced eating in moderation. One thing I found successful for me a few years ago was to count grams of fat of what I consumed and limited myself to about 20 grams of fat per day. This still allowed for foods you enjoyed but quantified smaller portions.

One thing several doctors have told me was to be cautious of "diets" and diet programs - many of them don't make nutritional sense as they don't give your body the required nutrients for the day. Some of the ones I was cautioned about were ones that most would consider reputable and mainstream. However Weight Watchers was on the "approved" list.

I've been lucky I suppose as I never had to diet nor watch what I eat but all my sugar binges and over eating is starting to soften my curves so I think its time to cut back. I don't think I'll restrict myself from any food groups just cut back on the amounts. My appetite is huge so my over eating is more of a problem than what I eat, I think. I personally don't care for diets nor do I like being around people that follow them. Nothing more annoying than dining with someone who says no to most of a menu. I love food, eating and enjoying is sexy, I guess some of us just need to eat less perhaps:)

• Like 1

Don't forget that a regular exercise program is part of any successful weight loss program. The more you exercise the more you can eat. Plus muscle burns more calories at rest also. I maintain my body by doing weights, I am building muscle and getting thinner, but not necessary lighter. My clothes fit better and that's what counts. plus it also helps with my blood sugar, blood pressure and cholesterol.

• Like 1

The key for me was to dump the incidental sodium (a killer in my view) aka all processed foods. Made sure to eat a solid breakfast in my case means 0 fat plain Greek yogurt (high protein) with blueberries and bran as a foundation for the day. Reduced portion sizes by instead of cooking 2 8-10 oz steaks cut one 10-12 oz and split it. Cut back on liquor (just a bit:) consistently exercised moderately and pounds melted away without much pain at all.

Common sense really and as Peachy said...balance is the key

Peace

MG

• Like 1

I can't agree more with what Peachy says - follow the Canadian Food Guide and mix with regular exercise. I must also add that discipline is important in case we stray away too far from our diet plan and exercise routine.

Other things that we should keep in mind are the harmful effects of salt and sugar. These harmful effects are well-documented and well-known, which is why you will not find a salt shaker on my dining table.

Edited by Luckyme

Hi.

I'm not sure if people are interested, but I know many of you have tried many diet plans. Wanted to get your opinions on the ones you've tried. Describe it and whether it worked or not. Whether you recommend it or not.

To start, I've tried the Atkins Diet.

This is a very low carb diet that encourages eating meat, fat and vegetables. Bacon is allowed on this diet. Very little carbs are allowed on this diet.

Does it work. Yes it does work, weight loss is very fast.

but it's hard to stay on, takes a lot of discipline not to eat carbs,

ie. bread, grains, cereals, deserts etc.

It can get tiring tot eat meat, bacon, eggs and just vegetables with very little starch. But you can loose a great deal of weight very rapidly if you can stick to it.

Now lets here your experiences ?

I'm actually doing this program and have done it in the past but you have to make it a lifestyle. This is where I've failed in the past.

There are many diabetics in my family and I have a serious sugar addiction and an emotional eater. if I don't get it under control now, it will come back to haunt me later. I am a non smoker and do not have the vices like ciagrettes to keep me skinny. Sugar is the kiss of death for me!!

While the first few days of Atkins is difficult, after the third day you will feel better. You will never feel deprived or hungry. The sugar and carb cravings will soon go away once it's out of your system.

Most of the meals I make are regular lunches or dinners but just modified such as not eating spaghetti.

I cannot and will no longer do low calorie or low fat diets. This is what causes serious health problems such as adding more carbs to low fat or fat free products.

Atkins has received a bad rep for not allowing any carbs or kidney issues. This is bullshit. You can eat carbs and through the different stages, they are worked back in but with good carbs. No fruit is allowed during the first phase. You would also have to eat copious amounts of protein to have some sort of issues with kidneys.

I did the Atkins program 8 years ago for 9 months straight and went back to the doctor to have my cholesterol checked. It went down significantly after eating doing this program. Bacon and eggs were one of the daily meals that I ate. In moderation of course.

I have more energy and I sleep better. While it is easy to lose weight on this diet quickly, that is not what I'm initially focused on this time around. I've been doing diets since my early 20's and it hasn't gotten me anywhere. I've gone up and down so many times, that I've lost count. I'm working on it but I consider myself a work in progress. Once I lose it, I want it to stay off for good. I am not always in the induction phase of this program at the moment because I need to create the patterns for good eating habits and doing this has helped me a great deal.

One has to make the conscious decision to follow a lifestyle all in moderation. There is no secret, no magic pill or anything else that will make weight loss effortless. It's all about a will to live a healthy life and modifying former bad food habits with some hard work and determination thrown in there. Exercise keeps me feeling better as well. I walk, run and bought a new mountain bike as well and go everyday for 30-45 mins.

Atkins works well for me because of my sugar addiction. It's all or nothing with me. I find I can't eat sugar in moderation because once I get the first taste, it's all downhill from there. To make up for any lacking vitamin or nutrients on this program, I supplement them with vitamins. This program isn't for everyone but if sugar is your problem, it may be worth looking into.

One way to determine your progress on this program is to go the pharmacy and buy some keto sticks. When you uriniate, dip the stick into it and if it turns pink to a dark purple then you are in ketosis which means you're burning your own fat for fuel. A side effect of this is bad breath because you're burning ketones through your mouth but it's nothing mouthwash or gum can't take care of.

I've also listed some resources that I use and order products online from Toronto to follow the lifestyle.

http://www.thelowcarbgrocery.com/catalog/low-carb-c-132.html?gclid=CJ779Oe387gCFUhgMgodjz8Aog

http://www.lowcarbcanada.ca/

And Sugar Free Sheila...She has been a good inspiration and she's hot too! lol.

http://www.sugarfreesheila.com/

Edited by Nicolette Vaughn
  • Like 3

Guest A*ro**n

If you've got Netflix, there's some good food related documentaries on there that are pretty eye opening. Some of the take away information I've gotten was:

- Basically in our society, we're eating a lot of calories, but we're starving ourselves of basic nutrients our cells need to function.

- The majority of us have an addiction to refined sugars

- The human body has evolved to eat a wide variety of diets (e.g. Inuit eating mostly animal fat/protein) but it's thrown for a loop with these factory/laboratory produced ingredients (e.g. white sugar, high fructose corn syrup).

- These sugars tell our body to use what it can for it's basic function and then store the rest as fat.

I know I am a sugar addict. The way my body sends me signals for it and the way I act around it. How I get the immediate satisfaction, but feel empty shortly after. How tired I feel later on (it's pretty remarkable, when you compare to being off sugars).

I've tried Atkins in the past, and found it too to be restrictive. I think you have to tweak your diet to get as much protein, natural fats, vegetables as you can and then if you still crave a little carb, then partake.

My path has been tweaking the diet, exercising regularly, weighing myself weekly (steering the ship in small movements). I've been happy with the results over the past few months. The weight has dropped off, I feel more energetic, I want to play again.

All the best on your journey.

I just got myself a Concept 2 rowing machine. I hope to use it a lot along with the rest of my family. It can burn a lot of calories and is easier on my knees then the treadmill. It also can help build strength and is an all round exercise for the whole body along with endurance.

Plus trying to eat foods along the outside of the store, where the fresh meats, dairy and bakery and vegetables are. Less pre-packaged food.

Guest webothscore

While I only have about 15 lbs to lose, it's more mental than anything for me. Mr Willpower does not visit me at my time of need. Also, I am too hard on myslef for that 15 lbs and shy away from certain memorable situations. My confiedence goes up when I lose those lbs and goes back down when my weight increases, which is where I am now :( I should just take it off and level off like I did years ago. It's annoying to know the answer but take too long to get there. The candy stores whisper my name as I walk or drive close to them.

To cut to the chase....no diet will ever be effective without exercise. You nee to burn more calories than you consume and the only way to do that is to be active. Base your calorie intake on your desired activity level instead of vice versa (that's where a lot of diets fail...they tell you to eat so much but forget how to tell you how to burn the calories) After that, it's all will power. Smart eating can let you consume more foods with less calories. By smart I mean healthy...cut DOWN on the usual culprits but don't deprive yourself. Smaller portions if eaten slowly can be just as satisfying. Never deprive yourself unless you have super willpower. The goal should be long term and life long not a quick loss of some lbs. don't forget, muscle weighs more than fat so keep on working out!

• Like 3

Guest webothscore
To cut to the chase....no diet will ever be effective without exercise. You nee to burn more calories than you consume and the only way to do that is to be active. Base your calorie intake on your desired activity level instead of vice versa (that's where a lot of diets fail...they tell you to eat so much but forget how to tell you how to burn the calories) After that, it's all will power. Smart eating can let you consume more foods with less calories. By smart I mean healthy...cut DOWN on the usual culprits but don't deprive yourself. Smaller portions if eaten slowly can be just as satisfying. Never deprive yourself unless you have super willpower. The goal should be long term and life long not a quick loss of some lbs. don't forget, muscle weighs more than fat so keep on working out!

True. I must be cramming in way too many calories given how active I am...

I came across an interesting article about nutrition myths today :) It includes lots of solid info, with links to it's sources to back up it's claims. Lots of common sense, but unfortunately people still believe a lot of this mumbo jumbo that's been perpetuated for decades.

Top 13 Nutrition Lies That Made The World Sick and Fat - http://authoritynutrition.com/top-13-nutrition-lies-that-made-the-world-sick-and-fat/

• Like 3

I am on the See food diet. i see it and I eat it.

Your mother told you not to eat dessert because it will ruin your appetite.

So if you dessert you would not be hungary for your main course. And most people will eat dessert anyways. this way people can have their cake and it. and just save calories by not eating the main dinner.

lol

Diets have never really worked for me. As soon as you tell me I can't eat something it is all I crave. I recently started working out and trying to eat healthier... just in general. Moderation is key. I don't deprive myself but I make conscious decisions about what I eat and try to find healthier solutions to my favorite treats. The small things add up.

I'm starting to gain weight back as I am building muscle but I had lost 15lb at my peak. My waist is 4.4" smaller. I have always been small so any more would be too much. I'm just maintaining now :)

Diets don't work for me. The issue is they give quick short term weight loss but cannot be sustained. I think working out regularly and eating balanced meals daily is key for me. That includes lean meat, non starchy vegetables, some fruits and nuts (good omega oils). Interestingly, I have noticed changes to my body shape and clothes I wear but have not changed much weight. Two years ago I was 180 lbs and body fat of 23%. Today I am 176 and body fat of 16.8%. So I have been leaning out over time and cutting my body fat. Muscle is heavier than fat which explains why I have not dropped a lot of weight. This resonates with a lot of the discussion points I have read in this thread.

Yes, you should not be concerned with the weight, but the way you feel and look.

I've actually gained weight, but it is muscle. I can see more definition in my muscles and my ab's, my pants are getting looser, and my shirts are fitting better, however I think my shoulder and back are getting broader, as i do a lot of rowing and weights. So don't judge yourself by your weight, if you look better and you feel better, that is what counts.