Industry Acronyms Regarding a Woman's Size

Gentlemen, I have to ask because a few of my SP friends and I chuckle when we see men use the term "smaller bbw". It seems like an oxymoron to me. I've been described as this ( not that I have a problem with this) but then again what would one consider a small bbw? I try not to get hung up on labels but this term has been thrown around a lot in the last few years and I had to ask. lol.

IMO, there is no such thing as a small bbw just because the term itself is contradictory...I would consider the terms describing someone in this type of stature from small to larger starting from curvy to thick then voluptuous and then a bbw.

Your thoughts?

• Like 1

I prefer rubenesque or the best is Yiddish zaftig which not just speaks to size but a sexually attractive figure. You, Nicolette would be both.

• Like 2

I've never used small bbw myself, so I think your right.

I agree with your order of terms, that's pretty much what I would use myself to describe someone.

But thick would describe a certain type of person but not all. Another term I've used is solid. Someone who is bigger but say no belly or much extra skin, just solid/thick. I find this type attractive.

So many they are classifying a curvy or thick as small bbw? I wouldn't do that myself.

• Like 1

I have never used this term myself either. I would suggest however, that the descriptive word "small" may mean height as bbw is in itself self-explanatory. A small bbw may just mean a bbw of 5' 2" or less, for example. Just a thought... ;)

• Like 2

The term "small BBW" looks really senseless if you consider it literally. But from my observations, the abbreviation "BBW" lost its direct meaning ("Big Beautiful Woman") and it is used more as a definition of body type - something completely opposite to "spinner". So, "small BBW" is someone who is not really big or tall but who has really curvy feminine body type. It is widely used in this sense.

• Like 1

Guest st*****ens**ors

I'm with Summer here; the categorization of providers into increasingly specific definitions makes me confused, and a bit uncomfortable. I'm not designing an ideal combination at a burger chain.

An adjective or two that you feel are accurate and that make you happy, in conjunction with a photo or two are just fine as far as body types go. There are other aspects of our initial conversation that will matter more to me.

I'm with Summer here; the categorization of providers into increasingly specific definitions makes me confused, and a bit uncomfortable. I'm not designing an ideal combination at a burger chain.

An adjective or two that you feel are accurate and that make you happy, in conjunction with a photo or two are just fine as far as body types go. There are other aspects of our initial conversation that will matter more to me.

Exactly! I have never been so sick of abrevations and such as Ibam these days! I find myself telling ppl mire and more " This is not Swiss Chalet" nor am I a buffet!

I no longer will answer these questions. If you want to know what I offer come and meet me, and shall see. Play by play action is in NO WAY a natural flow.

Back to the OP.. The term spinner. Well I am slender etc.. But much to tall for a real spinner description...so does that now mean I am a " tall spinner" lol. Makes no scence to me just as smaller bbw.

• Like 1

I think this term came from necessity. BBW as defined by most of the clothing and advertising industries, starts around a size 12 and goes all the way up. A small BBW would be someone on the 12-16 end of the the range while a SSSBBW would be on the much larger end. The fact that they are using this term to describe most of the "normal" population and treating size 0-4 as "normal" just says how screwed up things are.

Too many people get hung up on labels which in and of themselves are fickle. What is small, large, curvy, solid, voluptuous etc to one person, can mean something completely different in another. It's one of those things that requires too much energy to keep up with and even then you'd be wrong.

• Like 2

Guest 1***otd**

I prefer voluptuous as it has a definite sensual ring to it. In my opinion smaller BBW is a term to disguise something else..... Be proud of your voluptuousness as that in itself can be sexy as all get go

This is why I coined the phrase "fabulously full figured."

I could not figure out the best way to describe my body type. I have also been called a smaller BBW in reviews and I thought the term an oxymoron as stated. Advertising specially as a BBW put me in a category that had some men getting rather upset with me as I am not a "real BBW". These men like someone who is more like Whitney Thore from "My fabulous Fat life".

I found trying to say curvy, or voluptuous equally had men saying I was trying to "appear thinner then I am"

This was the only term I could come up with that I felt was unique and more of a true representation of me. The categories that clients use really do make it harder sometimes to be accurate when said category is so generalized.

• Like 4

These are the terms I use:

-Spinner

-Average

-Athletic

-Curvy

-BBW

You can combine two of these terms to better describe.

• Like 1

Guest st*****ens**ors

Seems to me that terms that are just fine as adjectives are problematic as labels, and troubling as categories.

Some providers self-identify using one or another, describing an aspect of their appearance but a client may consider that term as a short form for a whole set of expectations.

Or more simply, if you reduce a woman to a term like BBW, or spinner, or something similar, you do her a disservice.

My denarius

Seems to me that terms that are just fine as adjectives are problematic as labels, and troubling as categories.

Some providers self-identify using one or another, describing an aspect of their appearance but a client may consider that term as a short form for a whole set of expectations.

Or more simply, if you reduce a woman to a term like BBW, or spinner, or something similar, you do her a disservice.

My denarius

So if asked by someone to describe another person's appearance how do you do it or what words do you use?

• Like 1

Guest st*****ens**ors

I might say slim, or delicate, or tiny, but not "a spinner." I might say curvy, or full-figured, but not "A BBW" .

I just like adjectives better than labels. If you can slap an article in front of it I'll probably avoid its use.

StillOpensDoors I wholeheartedly agree, but your reference - while thoughtful as always - might be too nuanced. Knowledge of the basic rules of English grammar seem to no longer be an educational priority, sadly.

• Like 2

These are the terms I use:

-Spinner

-Average

-Athletic

-Curvy

-BBW

You can combine two of these terms to better describe.

I might say slim, or delicate, or tiny, but not "a spinner." I might say curvy, or full-figured, but not "A BBW" .

I just like adjectives better than labels. If you can slap an article in front of it I'll probably avoid its use.

I guess I don't understand where, besides common use, the line is drawn between adjectives and labels.

Why is it that delicate, slim or tiny are adjectives but not spinner and to my knowledge BBW stands for Big Beautiful Woman. How one perceived such a description is subjective, whether positive or negative, it is up to one's interpretation.

I guess another thought is what if delicate or curvy became a "label", would you then stop using that adjective or description? Words become labels because they have become a main adjective(s) for describing someone, group or something. They are not necessarily intended to be complimentary or derogatory, they have simply become one of the most common words or short phrases to apply when, verbally or in writing, communicating while trying to convey an image or feeling to another person or group.

I guess I don't understand where, besides common use, the line is drawn between adjectives and labels.

Why is it that delicate, slim or tiny are adjectives but not spinner and to my knowledge BBW stands for Big Beautiful Woman. How one perceived such a description is subjective, whether positive or negative, it is up to one's interpretation.

I guess another thought is what if delicate or curvy became a "label", would you then stop using that adjective or description? Words become labels because they have become a main adjective(s) for describing someone, group or something. They are not necessarily intended to be complimentary or derogatory, they have simply become one of the most common words or short phrases to apply when, verbally or in writing, communicating while trying to convey an image or feeling to another person or group.

I see what both of you are saying.

I think in terms of BBW, that is such a wrong label however.

Because every woman in the 200lbs+ range ALL say they are BBW's and that is not always the case. Spinner does not include a beauty component. No other term for that matter, puts a beauty component to it. Beauty is the in the eye of the beholder and all woman are beautiful in there own way but to automatically imply that a woman is beautiful because she is big and says BBW, doesn't always make it so.

Plus most guys who are true BBW lovers, it is a fetish really. For men looking for women who are 350-400lbs plus. Not women my size. It is also why smaller BBW is laughable in my opinion. There is a certain look that truly falls into the BBW fetish category. Most men and women in this industry who are using the term BBW are actually using incorrectly and have taken the natural reason for the term out of context.

• Like 2

I think for myself personally speaking, it's the use of the acronym itself used to describe a person and at the same time, there are other acronyms out there used to describe specific services etc. Imo I find it to be very impersonal when describing someone. Acronyms are now replacing adjectives and they are not the same thing. Now we are using acronyms to describe people. Perhaps this is due to the age of technology but very limiting.

If you look at the word "full-figured" it is open to interpretation. If someone says BBW ( big beautiful woman), the word "big" is limiting in itself because big is subjective and a difference of opinion. Someone who is 160 lbs is not the same as someone is 250 lbs along with different heights and body types and vice versa.

The word big also has a negative connotation to it because to be big in society is a bad thing. Some people do have more weight on them and are healthy so it is a sad reality that there is a lot of body shaming going on. As Jessica said, women are beautiful no matter what their size is. The average size today in society for a woman is a size 14 yet society considers this to be bordering on the edge of heading in the plus size direction.

And as someone else mentioned there are men out there who love larger women at higher weights and don't consider someone to be a bbw at 160 lbs. I know this from experience where men coming to see me were actually expecting me to be bigger than I actually was because that acronym bbw was thrown around in reviews, etc. In the past I was being called a bbw at 135 lbs for God's sakes and I was wearing a size 6. See the insanity of that? This was just someone else's subjective opinion because I wasn't their ideal 100-110 that I'm a bbw. Lol

It's although someone just took that acronym and slapped it on someone who didn't fit their ideal interpretation of someone who wasn't model slim. Therefore using the term bbw to practically anyone who isn't slim after they surpass a certain weight in society's opinions isn't a fair assemement. The term is too broad.

People will always have their opinions of who is considered small or big and that's fine but bbw is a term I will personally stay away from even though I am consistently called that by others. I am full-figured at various weights and wouldn't be considered slim unless I was 115lbs and then I just look like a 12 year old. Lol.

Slim never looked good on me as it might on someone else as I look better with a fuller face with larger breasts, behind and hips. I find myself to be more attractive with a fuller body. That's the way my body is built and I am able to carry more weight on my frame to a certain degree. I consider myself to be a full figured woman.

And one more thing... Why is the word "beautiful" thrown in with big woman? It's almost as if someone had to put in the beautiful to make the word big sound positive. Lol. Women are beautiful at all sizes so maybe the term bsw ( beautiful spinner woman) should be another acronym since they are beautiful as well or is it not listed because they get an automatic pass because society equates slim to automatically being beautiful? Just some food for thought....

• Like 3

@NV

I see, understand and respect everything you said in you post above. I do somewhat agree how one could interpret big in bbw to be "derogatory" but yet big does not always mean such when used in other contexts.

I see beauty in every woman, even ones where I may not find physical beauty I will always find beauty in the their personality...we all have some type of beauty. After reading your post I will try and refrain from using the term in question as I never intended for it to be perceived in an unpleasant form or manner. In general I always thought that women who were using such a term to describe themselves and, for the most part, that those who could be described as such were as proud as those who would be described otherwise.

@NV

I see, understand and respect everything you said in you post above. I do somewhat agree how one could interpret big in bbw to be "derogatory" but yet big does not always mean such when used in other contexts.

I see beauty in every woman, even ones where I may not find physical beauty I will always find beauty in the their personality...we all have some type of beauty. After reading your post I will try and refrain from using the term in question as I never intended for it to be perceived in an unpleasant form or manner. In general I always thought that women who were using such a term to describe themselves and, for the most part, that those who could be described as such were as proud as those who would be described otherwise.

Thanks for your comments. Don't get me wrong... anyone is free to use whatever description they prefer whether it's bbw etc but *I* just choose not to use it since I find it to be a bit impersonal since it's an acronym and is used as an acronym.. When I describe myself, I prefer to use words that have more of a meaning such as full figured.

• Like 1

Guest st*****ens**ors

The distinction between an adjective and a label can be made clear by the question each answers.

If you asked, "What is she like?" and I answered, "curvy, full figured, slim, petite, hilarious, aggressive," all those are adjectives. They describe an aspect of the person, but don't purport to encapsulate her identity.

If you asked, "What is she/Who is she," and I answered, "a bbw, a spinner, a liar, a republican," those are all labels. They let the person asking the question slot the object of their curiosity into a tidy box.

An adjective describes. A label is an identity, of sorts.

The distinction between an adjective and a label can be made clear by the question each answers.

If you asked, "What is she like?" and I answered, "curvy, full figured, slim, petite, hilarious, aggressive," all those are adjectives. They describe an aspect of the person, but don't purport to encapsulate her identity.

If you asked, "What is she/Who is she," and I answered, "a bbw, a spinner, a liar, a republican," those are all labels. They let the person asking the question slot the object of their curiosity into a tidy box.

An adjective describes. A label is an identity, of sorts.

So "a republican, a liar" are labels but "a curvy, an aggressive" are not or is it simple words such as "a" or "an" you put in front of an adjective that makes it a label? I believe the latter is the case.

We could go on for hours. I respect what you think. Have a nice day.