Traveling Canada and looking for places to visit....

So I am planning a Canadian Tour next year. From Ontario so I will go east one trip and west the next. One in spring and one in fall. I will be hitting the big cities and doing some part time work with clients but what I am really looking for is those "off the beaten path" type places/towns/cities/events that I should visit. Those hidden gems that are truly part of what makes Canada so great. This trip is more personal then business.

I know this year probably should have been the year to do this, but between the amount of extra tourism and my mainstream work, I felt waiting a year would be better.

I want to meet the people, my fellow Canadians, and learn about them just like I do when I travel to Europe or the Caribbean. Since this is the largest completely national board, I figured this would be the best place to get feedback.

A little about me - I can rough it with the best of them, so lodging can really be anything or anywhere so long as dogs are allowed. I am equally happy in the middle of the woods as I am on the water as I am in a boutique cafe. I am looking for it all. Solitude and relaxation, yet excitement and adventure so the possibilities are endless really. I have all of Canada to find great experiences that cover the spectrum. Or at least that is my hope.

All feedback will be greatly appreciated. Links are even more helpful.

Thank you.

One of my favourite places is Manitou Beach in Saskatchewan. It's a tiny resort town on a lake that's saltier than the Dead Sea. Totally charming, and there's a large lake-fed indoor pool that's really lovely.

Around Thunder Bay I'd suggest Ouimet Canyon, Sleeping Giant Park, Kakabeka Falls, and Eagle Canyon for the suspension bridges.

If you're interested in camping, in Manitoba Nopiming Provincial Park is much nicer and less busy than the Whiteshell, particularly great if you like back country camping.

The Wellman Lake campground in Duck Mountain Provincial Park is really quiet and lovely, and borders Glad Lake, which is one of the clearest lakes I've ever been on.

Spirit Sands in Spruce Woods Provincial Park is an amazing day trip - huge rolling sand dunes.

And if you happen to be coming through at just the right time in spring, the Narcisse Snake Dens are really something else - millions of garter snakes. http://www.naturenorth.com/spring/creature/garter/Narcisse_Snake_Dens.html

In Winnipeg, Segovia has world class tapas. I've travelled a lot and it's still my all time favourite restaurant. The owners also have a breakfast place, Clementine, which is amazing too.

• Like 2

Great timing: I am planning a road trip this summer,I've never seen the Rockies and it seems it is a must see so ''Go west!'' is the word...thanks for the suggestions.

Regent - you are amazing!!!!

This is exactly what I am looking for.

Now maybe not the snakes because I am such a chicken shit, but the rest is golden. Thank you so much.

Anyone else with hits like this, please please please reply.

Thanks

I totally understand aversion to the snakes, though if you're in the area at the time I would still highly recommend going (unless you have an outright phobia.) They're so busy breeding that there's very few on the paths, so it's very easy to avoid coming into contact with any, and it's really quite a spectacular sight :)

Winnipeg also has Folkfest, Fringe Fest, and Folklorama if you like festivals.

• Like 1

Our "National" parks have very many programs to discover the outdoors. Algonquin Park is one example. In Algonquin you can do a 1 or 2 day Barron River Canyon trip in canoe. In the canyon, you'll think you're on the Colorado river. Generally you need 2 vehicles but the outfitter may offer a drop in at beginning, your vehicle being at the out point. I think 3 short portages (you'll rent a light kevlar canoe at about 55 lbs).

Had a great few hours with a young lady in Newfoundland national park who hunted moose there and taught us/showed us many aspects of moose life.

Obviously parks in the Rockies should not be missed; lots to see and do here. The Calgary Stampede could be seen but I would advise you to do your west trip in May or June before the millions of tourists flood in.

I suspect in many of the parks, there are organized camping trips for days where most equipment is provided and this'll give you a chance to meet people (and I suspect many of these people will be from Europe).

Long Beach (or whatever its called now) between Tofino and Ucluelet on Vancouver Island is a very special place.

By going in May (and maybe June) you'll avoid the crowds and reservations will not be required mostly.

• Like 1

Gros Morne National Park is one of the most stunning places not just in Canada but in the world. It is worth including Newfoundland on your itinerary simply to go there.

In Nova Scotia, there are any number of charming towns along the South Shore worth staying in for a day or two. Baddeck in Cape Breton or the Cabot Trail are also well worth the visit, Pugwash is a pleasant spot with cottages and a view of Prince Edward Island across the Strait, Annapolis Royal is one of the oldest settlements in Canada and very picturesque...

In New Brunswick Sheddiac or the Miramichi are nice places which are less well-known than the major centres.

• Like 1

Halifax is right in the middle of Nova Scotia, so it's usually tricky to do both a trip along the South Shore and up to Cape Breton. Of the two I'd go north and enjoy the Cabot Trail. Plus, you can then take the ferry across to Newfoundland.

This is assuming you're driving of course.

• Like 1