Drinking a bottle of water with your head tilted forward as tho you're drinking upside downnnnn? Or.... thee only thing that helps my chronic hiccups is sitting or bending over while holding all my breath for AS LONG AS POSSIBLE then exhaling that breath as SLOW AS POSSIBLE ....... Geez, hope that helps you, I find the hiccups so frustrating!!!!

• Like 1

Hi Cara

Hopefully your hiccups are gone now, in the past someone told me

to breathe into a paper bag if you have one, another one I heard was

to eat a spoonful of peanut butter.

If try are not gone hope one if these tricks works for you.

Hi Cara;

What I always do is hold my breath as long as I can or

Drink (gulp )as much water as fast as you can and without stopping

Hope It Works

I read all of this great advice and then went to watch Lord of the Rings and they completely disappeared when Smeegle came on screen. Hmmm. Thanks everybody! Try the Smeegle cure next time. xoxoxo Cara

Here are 2 solutions to get rid of hiccups, the first I tried and it works for me all the time. Take a teaspoon full of sugar and saturate it with vinegar and swallow it all in one gulp. Just like Buckley's it taste awful but it works.

So what IS a hiccup? A hiccup is a spasm of the diaphragm and the muscles surrounding it. The spasms create a fast contraction, which draws air in. The fast draw causes your vocal chords to close, causing that iconic "hic".

The solution:

Digital rectal

Massaging the rectum(anus) using a slow continuous circumferential motion and the hiccups will be terminated immediately.

And now the question arises: how the HECK did this work!?! Was it just the total surprise of "digital rectal stimulation"? Apparently not. The authors hypothesize that what actually happened was that the hiccups were caused by continued firing from the vagus or phrenic nerves. These are both nerves that innervate the area around the diaphragm. The phrenic nerve controls the motor stimulation of the actual diaphragm, but the vagus nerve heads toward the esophageal plexus and the diaphragm as well, passing through the diaphragm and on down toward the thoracic cavity. If either one of these nerves started sending signals spasmodically, you might end up with the hiccups. BUT, both of these nerves ALSO send and receive signals from the thorax, including from the gut and GI tract. So if you have spasms going on in these nerves, stimulation via pressure in the rectum (which is very sensitive to pressure), might help. In this case it seems that the big deal was the vagus nerve, which has much more innervation in the rectum.

This brings me to offer my services to any ladies in my area who needs to get rid of those famous hiccups. Again my name is Notch Johnson and I can be contacted by PM on here anytime.

• Like 2

Just don't try the "David Carradine" technique. It's effective but the side effects are pretty bad and permanent.

(Google it, I'm not explaining that joke here)