Barbarellas closing at end of year?

Rumors are swirling Barbs is done at the end of year, end of lease or something, I was aware that building has been set for demolition for a while now, apparently Claridge wants to build a tower there and they're excavating for LRT right beside that building, have lots of memories of Barbs, I want to visit there this year as much as possible if the party is coming to an end, anyone know what really is happening there? I will miss it greatly if closure is coming, but I guess all things come to an end. I have to admit that building is an eyesore in the daytime, at night you don't notice it but during the day, yeah that building has gotta go, yuk

There has been a good deal of discussion about this in the 'Barb's' thread. On a couple of occasions, "swirling" rumours prompted fears of Barb's imminent demise. Both times the talk ended up being unfounded, at least in the immediate term. With the LRT scheduled to begin operations in mid-2018 (I think), perhaps this will come to pass.

It seems that with a new building owner (Claridge) planning to develop the site, the term of the existing lease would be the decisive factor. So, does anyone know if the lease is up at year end?

• Like 5

I wonder whether the owners of Barbarella will be able to re-use the license in another building. I had read a couple years ago that the city of Ottawa was trying to get rid of all strip clubs in Ottawa as it apparently attracts a "bad element" and that they would not issue any more licenses but would grandfather existing licenses.

• Like 1

I'm sure you're correct that the city won't license any new clubs. I'm pretty sure that this is part of the city's "clubs are degrading to women" philosophy, whether you agree with it or not.

I can't remember the last time a new club opened in Ottawa...the NuDen? When did it open?

what about tease? they re new

as for barbarella s no one knows

what I KNOW is i don t see any promoting for barbs, so I do my own promotion now, even advertising lunch through my instagram etc

• Like 2

So many misconceptions, so much fake news. :icon_razz:

A few years back some city tried to outlaw strip clubs. It was challenged in court and the ruling was that they could not outlaw an entire type of business that was operating legally. They said a city had to allow at least one of that type of business. However they also said a city could reasonably "regulate" the business. They also "grandfathered" existing clubs by saying the city couldn't close them down but didn't have to issue new licenses.

In Ottawa before amalgamation there were clubs in Kanata (Jasons) Nepean (Silver Dollar) etc etc. They got issued licenses and were allowed to stay where they were. However there were all sorts of regulations put in place that make it almost impossible to find a suitable spot.

The license can move, with certain restrictions, but finding a place to move to is almost impossible. That is why someone still has a license on the building that Jason's used to occupy (according to the City's website) The restrictions on where they can go include things like proximity to residential areas, schools, places of worship etc. Maybe an industrial park would work but even then, if someone had a storefront church or mosque in the area they would be disallowed.

As for Tease, that license always existed, it was Cabaret Canada, Palace of Screams (sic) etc. The name and owner changed that was it.

• Like 4

The only marketing I ever see is for the BareFax and Pigale in the Ottawa Sun. Apart, of course, from your magnificent efforts, my dear Megan!

I actually like Tease, I like the vibe inside, conservative, the staff and girls appear nice, and the hotel next door is convenient, the location though is quite far out and not the easiest to get to in cold weather

The only marketing I ever see is for the BareFax and Pigale in the Ottawa Sun. Apart, of course, from your magnificent efforts, my dear Megan!

The playmate advertise at least once a week.

NuDen was a relocation. It was known as The Den for many, many years before moving to its "Nu" location. Was a little farther up St. Laurent, in behind where St.Hubert is.

NuDen was a relocation. It was known as The Den for many, many years before moving to its "Nu" location. Was a little farther up St. Laurent, in behind where St.Hubert is.

This was in the mid 90s before these " new " regulations came into place .

• Like 1

does anyone know if the lease is up at year end?

I don't know when lease is up but when I asked the Saturday bartender (Mathew) if Barberellas will be closed in a year or two though he confirmed its incoming closure but he said not so soon but in a few years not just one or two. He said likely in FIVE years.

Not sure how accurate this is but I was happy at least to see the chance that Barbarellas will be around for 5 more years. Barbarellas is the best bar (in my view) and voted number 1 in Ottawa by cerb membership a short while ago because it can attract the most talented most attractive dancers in town who stay there for a long time. Let's hope those who work there know better and more. In the meantime let's enjoy it while we can by frequenting this No. 1 bar as much as we can.

H&K

• Like 1

This was in the mid 90s before these " new " regulations came into place .

Actually, the new regulations were in place but the city allowed (or may have insisted on) the move to the Nuden. The old Den was close to housing etc on Russell rd.

i wouldnt be surprised , the place is seriously damaged and not even hygienic anymore

i loved barbs (years ago) but the place is beated now.... unless he puts a bit of money to make it decent ich wont happen ) theyre better off closing .

it went from a top notch place to a dive... theres not much to do to put it a bit more decent, new chairs in champagne room , washrooms ...but again, if nothing has been done in a while, this wouldnt surprise me

• Like 2

they're building access to the new Lyon LRT station right beside Barbs building, likely they'll pick up business having an LRT station right beside them lol

I'm in agreement with Megan. It's been quite awhile since any money has been reinvested in the place. IMO the only aspect of it that keeps it vital is the people working there.

Barbarellas was, is and will be top notch bar. What makes a bar top notch is the classy beautiful friendly skillful exotic dancers like many who are highly recommended by many reputable established cerbites who have in the past and present highly recommended current dancers like Phoenix, Kitty Kat, Sammie, Harvey, Bridgette, Ariel, Alexis, Katrina, Natasha, Anna, Georgia, Juicy, Nicole, Stacy, Samantha, Seven, Layla, Dallas, Raven, Maria and many more (and past great ones like Jenny, Mary Jane, Sasha Love, Megan and the list goes on to include hundreds more) who are currently dancing at Barbarellas not the table and chairs (which btw are not any more damaged or less hygienic than any other bar I have been to like Playmates or Taboo or even Pigale) and in that regard (skillful beautiful classy and friendly dancers) Barbarellas has been top notch for many years and will remain top notch for years to come. I don't know about you gentlemen but whenever I go to an SC I go for the ladies like above named highest quality dancers not the table and chairs.

As I mentioned earlier the Saturday bartender told me that this popular bar (voted number 1 in Ottawa by cerb membership) will remain open for a few more years likely as much as FIVE.

(voted number 1 in Ottawa by cerb membership)

Not number one in the area, or even your poll. Also ...

3b8d7c5231b7a2da03a6b54f474cb3233a4b0e7732e018b411a83592cf4765e6.jpg

Not number one in the area, or even your poll. Also ...

Not number one in the area is your opinion that many cerbites including myself do not share. As for the second part of your comment, read the post that you are quoting!!!!. I said voted number 1 in Ottawa (which excludes Pigale which is in Gatineau). And it is not my poll. The thread/poll belongs to Lyla and the membership who participated in the voting process heavily.

I know the first reaction to criticism is to lash out. I don't take it personally.

You can't just take a poll and then cherry pick data from it. If the poll was for clubs in Ottawa only, the numbers would be different if those who voted for Pigales (voted number one strip club in the area by the members right here at LYLA!) cast their votes another way.

I'm saying you can't use the numbers that way. Also, there is only one vote between 2nd and 3rd place, which is statistically insignificant.

... but yeah. Of the less than 50 votes that were counted, Barbarella's was ahead of Barefax by 1 vote. That's for sure.

• Like 1

I didn't lash out as you claimed but I just pointed out the facts. I do acknowledge that the poll was conducted for NCR and Pigale came out first in NCR and Gatinue but Barbarellas was voted second best in NCR and best or number 1 among the bars that are located in Ottawa. I am calling spade a spade. I did not cherry pick the data I just stated the facts. I am sure if the poll was for Ottawa only, then most if not all Pigale votes would have gone to Barbarellas and Barefax too.

And Yeah Barfax came close but voted second best in Ottawa and that is a fact and btw at the time as stated in my first post in the poll, I voted for Barefax as my top choice followed closely by Barbarellas.

This is a positive board negativity is not welcomed. We should all respect that fact too.