Private Messages - Used for unsolicited advertising is spam! - READ PLEASE!

Ok, I have received a few reports that some ladies (or possibly agencies) are using the PM system to send UNSOLICITED pm's to drum up business. For example today we received this one.

Hi I am coming to Ottawa tomorrow and I was wondering if you interested in seeing me.
Ladies... this is NOT acceptable! If someone emails you asking questions about your services that is fine but randomly PMing guys ... this is SPAM advertising and is NOT permitted here.

Guy's... Use the report.gif icon on the PM's if you receive one of these (Top right corner of every PM). If we get multiple complaints from the same lady doing this we will suspend her account and explain why it is not acceptable to market this way.

Same with posts on the site. If you see something that violates the rules here just click the report.gif icon on the post to bring this to my attention. Thanks.

Guest S****r

If someone sends me a friend request, if it okay to respond and suggest he contact me?

Or if someone views my profile, is it okay to pm them?

Just looking for clarification. Certainly don't want to get in trouble as a newbie!!

I'm not claiming to be any sort of authority on this, but...

If someone sends me a friend request, if it okay to respond and suggest he contact me?

I'd have thought not, and it may well be unnecessary anyway. If someone's looking at your profile and sending you a friend request, they're probably already at least somewhat interested :)

Probably depends what you say :) If you PM them (or post on their wall) to just say, "Thanks for looking at my profile" or something, I think that's fine (and there are ladies that do this). And saying something like, "PM me if you have any questions" is probably also OK. But something like, "Come and see me" probably isn't.

Just looking for clarification. Certainly don't want to get in trouble as a newbie!!

Very wise. Unfortunately this is one of those things where there's a lot of gray areas as to what's acceptable and what isn't...

There have been threads on this in the past...

I think you have to get a sense of what the other party intends, friends request obviously shows a level of interest, while a look at your profile maybe just that. Remember that if you PM you are really only going to get in trouble if the recipient is put off and generates an abuse report, so just tread carefully, and word your PM's discretely.

If someone sends you a friend request, you can either accept it or reject it.

The most I would do if accepting it, is thank them for their friend request. But honestly, if they are interested in finding out more about you, or booking you, they will.

• Like 1

Guest ****ven

Generally just to ensure that I do not upset anyone or commit bad cerbie behavior I only private message members who have contacted me first VIA pm.

I will post messages to other members walls to say hello and invite them to PM me if I notice they frequent my profile.

By doing this you can ensure that you do not get in trouble for solicitation. Using the specific forum for your advertisement allows members who want your services to check you out and they will contact you if they so wish!

Hope this is helpful <3

Lots of people are going to visit the profile of someone who posts in the lounge, or someone who just joins the site. If someone just looked at it, then it would be a bit presumptuous to send them a note suggesting they come and visit.

Some long time members will post a note on the profile saying hello, or welcome, or nice pics. A followup pm sending contact info would be a bit like jumping the gun lol. They haven't asked for info, nor suggested they want any. This is a friendly site, and a lot of the time people just want to encourage a new member to post and join in discussions.

If someone comments on your profile, I think the nice thing to do, is go to theirs and say your thank you or hello back to them there. And in those situations, then no, you wouldn't suggest they come and visit you soon, or include your info. I think even if the recipient wasn't put off by that, other people reading it tend to be (I think we've seen such posts before and thought, hmmm, that's kind of borderline solicitation)

Better to err on the side of caution, imo.

• Like 1

Simply put you can't say "call me" or "come see me", in PM or on their wall, without having the person initiate the request.

Basically... don't spam or abuse the site. If someone reports your post or pm as unsolicited advertising I have to intervene. If you are not abusing the site (Spamming) or soliciting people for dates who have not contacted you first you should be fine.

A simple..."Thanks for visiting my profile" is fine... a "Thanks for visiting my profile, my age is ... my number is ... my email is ... call me if you want a date" would not be ok.... the guy just checked out your profile and I am sure if he is interested he would have contacted you (maybe bookmarked you) but if you do this chances are he will NOT contact you as people don't like to be spammed.