Man gets one day for killing hooker :(

Unbelievable.. self defense.. The girl was half naked.. His son has been accused of assaulting a sex worker.. Who was representing the victim? This disgusts me.

Definite Justice in disrepute. Totally disgusting. An Appeal rests with the Crown with respect to sentencing.

This is a tragic and truly sad tale however, without saying that I agree or disagree with the sentencing, the 2 links provided show a stark contrast in proper legal journalism.

The Chronicle Herald link provides very little detail other than a sensational headline stating that a man got a one day sentence for murder. Certainly makes you believe that the justice system is run by incompetents and simpletons. But I couldn't believe it was that simple and read the other link as well.

Canoe reported an account of the known details surrounding the event, and presented a picture of what the people involved were like. All of a sudden, the circumstances become muddied and more difficult to say with certainty that a travesty of justice has occurred. It's never so simple as the sensational headlines.

I would suspect that whatever really did happen, this man deserves to be in jail for a much longer period of time. But that's the thing, I can only guess because I don't know, and that's how the legal system works. And the mother saying that it would have been ruled upon differently had her daughter not been a drug-addicted, sex worker is likely only half right. If she wasn't a drug addict, she wouldn't have been so high that night where she had a potentially lethal amount of cocaine in her system, and maybe someone would have known she was going to this man's house as a client (if that were the case).

Sorry, I'm not trying to trivialize this but in many of these crazy court decisions, there is logic substantiating the outcomes. My gut reaction is to lock him up forever...but what if I'm wrong?

Definite Justice in disrepute. Totally disgusting. An Appeal rests with the Crown with respect to sentencing.

I think that was the appeal, this guy has been out for almost a year

Nope... SCJ by Judge alone. Combined Trial Sentencing hearing. Crown was silent with respect to Appeal. The guy was basically given 2 for 1 pre-sentence credit http://www.justice.gc.ca/eng/news-nouv/nr-cp/2009/doc_32346.html since the time af arrest -- He remained in custody. Should hear something within 30 days with respect to Appeal.

Nope... SCJ by Judge alone. Combined Trial Sentencing hearing. Crown was silent with respect to Appeal. The guy was basically given 2 for 1 pre-sentence credit http://www.justice.gc.ca/eng/news-nouv/nr-cp/2009/doc_32346.html since the time af arrest -- He remained in custody. Should hear something within 30 days with respect to Appeal.

The Canoe article was from almost a year ago, the Chronicle Herald article was in regards to the Crown's appeal of the sentence which was dismissed by the Ontario Supreme Court on Wednesday of last week.

Unthinkable and unimaginable for this women, her life is worth more than a day....

and did you read where it says his son has received a suspended sentence for assaulting a sex-trade worker. Looks like it runs in the family.

The Canoe article was from almost a year ago, the Chronicle Herald article was in regards to the Crown's appeal of the sentence which was dismissed by the Ontario Supreme Court on Wednesday of last week.

Hey BN,

You're right. Assumed the articles were the same. My mistake.

The full judgement can be found here incuding trial and subsequent appeal.

http://www.canlii.org/en/on/onsc/doc/2007/2007canlii37358/2007canlii37358.html

http://www.canlii.org/en/on/onca/doc/2009/2009onca311/2009onca311.html

Wow, strong guy strangles probably frail crack addict, removes her pants and exposes her genitals.

Looks like self-defense to me !!

Is this judge mentally handicapped or just a damn jerk?