quitting smoking :)

so I am wondering as I heard that champex does wonders for quitting smoking my mom started taking it 4 weeks ago and have not smoked in 2 and a half weeks.. I am dead set on quitting smoking but I am wondering if anyone has tried this method?? and if you could let me know your experiences that would be great as I know everyone is different but as I've heard the same typical symptoms of many people... basically I am wondering if this is the most efficient way to go???

• Like 2

While Champix can have some really positive effects for some, it can also have some really negative and dangerous side effects, including suicidal ideation, depression, aggression, and erratic behaviour. http://www.thestar.com/news/investigations/article/1267065--health-canada-tight-lipped-on-champix-suicides

If you decide to go this route, make sure that your doctor is monitoring you, or listen to your friends/family if they bring up concerns about your behaviour.

• Like 2

Guest happytimes

Hi Kennidi, My mother quit smoking 30 years ago and has never smoked since. She did hipnosis somewhere in Ottawa. The hipnosis made her feel physically sick if she tried to smoke. It was really effective for her. Good luck.

Posted via Mobile Device

I tried quitting using a variety of methods, but I finally came to the conclusion that the best and most efficient method is called cold turkey. You have to come up with a very good reason to motivate you and then it's a matter of discipline. My reason as the birth of my son, and I will have my 30 year anniversary later this month. I have to say that the benefits are worth the effort.

Good luck, and I hope you can find a method that works for you.

• Like 3

Have to mostly agree with Boomer on the cold turkey method. I've stopped several times, the longest being 4 years. The current period is just over 2 years. The biggest take away I can offer is that smokers never quit, they are just between smokes. The key to it is to extend the "between period as long as possible.

My two cents worth anyways, good luck!

• Like 1

Guest *ig*a**

Cold turkey thats the way I quit and that was 25years ago. Its not easy to quit. You have to be strong. Good luck.

My brother, my doctor, and 2 co-workers quit using Champex......Now they all say it kills the craving just enough to make it much easier (if in your head you want to) with minimal side effects...at least in their cases

It takes a big desire to quit, and as a former smoker (16 years), and a fortunate lung cancer survivor, I hope for you all the best in your attempt(s).

Don't quit quitting, as although I quit, also "cold turkey", it was on my 4th attempt that it took.

I remember having to remind myself that a physical craving might last 5-7 minutes but if I attached my brain to that it would last an hour or more with my bargaining and rationalizations as to why I could relent.

That's when you take a bath, go for a walk, clean something, to take your mind off it.

Good going!!

• Like 1

Well no real insights since I don't smoke and never have.

But, and maybe this makes sense to the smokers out there, don't know.

But often, according to a smoker who quit, he said the hardest part for him was his smoking was linked to certain activities/habits/behaviours.

For example, when he got up in the morning, had to have a cigarette

Had to smoke whenever he had a coffee

Had to smoke whenever he read the newspaper

Had to smoke after every meal and so on

So for him other activities/habits/behaviours impacted on his smoking

And a general observation, or is it just me, but "cures" like Champix, well they seem worse than the disease itself. We want to cure you of smoking because it's bad for your health, but you might think of committing suicide (yes said sarcastically)

Anyhow, a rambling

RG

• Like 2

I agree wholeheartedly with Boomer, cold turkey is best. I've known people who've done the Champix and other medical methods, but ultimately, if you don't have the will to continue afterwards, you won't be able to make it. I pretty much locked myself indoors for a week and sweated it out. The crazy was done after about 4 days, and the habit was broken by the end of the week I found. Pretty much relied on the suffering I went through to keep me from going back afterwards. I managed to do this just a few months before going in to a war zone without relapses and it's been 4 years now without any breakdowns. I've tried before using various methods but really just sucking it up and setting my mind to do it is what worked the best.

Pick your reason for doing it and stick with it thick and thin and you'll do fine (minus a few days of craziness, lol). Have faith in yourself and good luck!

• Like 1

Im in trouble. I quit cold turkey 12 years ago and when I went into the hospital this summer, I started again.

Not too sure what to do this time. :(

• Like 1

Champix worked for a long time. (6 months) . But in the end it's still

A mind over matter deal. YOU have to really want to quit to stay quit.

Good luck. I am coming up to 2 years and I still don't consider my self

As a non-smoker.

Hi, you have already taken the first step towards quitting i.e recognizing there is a need to do so; as many have indicated cold turkey is one option and others have used assists such as medications, hypnosis etc with varying degrees of success. While I have never smoked (habitually), smoking has cost me a parent and a number of lady friends.

As for Champix, it involves some risks that you may not wish to take, however ultimately cessation of smoking may the penultimate gift to yourself. Dig deep, find an anchor and go for the gold.

"The drug labelling for Champix has been updated to include a more detailed description of the study and findings, along with precautions for patients with respect to cardiovascular safety. Patients are advised to seek immediate medical attention if they think they might be experiencing a heart attack or stroke. Symptoms of a heart attack include chest pain; pain in the arms, back, neck, jaw or stomach; shortness of breath; sweating; and nausea. Symptoms of stroke include suddenly feeling weak or numb in the face, arms or legs; trouble speaking; vision problems; sudden severe headache; and dizziness. It is important to note that smoking by itself is a major known risk factor for cardiovascular disease and that patients with cardiovascular disease can benefit greatly from quitting smoking. Patients with questions or concerns about Champix should talk to their health professional.

I know a bunch of people where cold turkey worked after trying the gum and patches and such for a while.

I was a smoker for a while, but just stopped as I got busy with something else. I wonder if it was because I smoked pipe & cigars as opposed to cigarettes which made it easier.

Anyone else with non-cigarette experience to back up my theory?

The way I quit was somewhat unusual.

I had tried at least 4 times before. Furthest I got was about 3 months but I still had the mindset of a smoker and if I was around smoker friends it was really difficult.

Then about a year after the last time I tried to quit I got a really nasty cold for about a week. A bad enough cold that I could not smoke a cigarette unless I really wanted to torture myself. After I got better I realized this is a good opportunity and just kind of did not start smoking again. I didn't build it up as a big thing or anything, I just kind of stopped.

It has been six months now and I realize that people last longer and go back but I really don't consider myself a smoker any more. I even get grossed out by my smoker friends and I cannot remember the last time I had a craving.

Any ways I think there were a number of factors that helped me. First was obviously the head start I got from being sick. Second, the fact that I did not build it up in my head that I was quitting took some pressure off. Third, I used an e-ciggarette for about the first week. you can get them at the gas station for like 10 bucks and they do not have nicotine in them. They just help you hold on to the action of smoking without the actual addictive substances that come along with normal cigarettes.

Hope maybe some of this helps!

• Like 1

I think the easiest way is like i did 4 month ago. Wake up a morning and just quit. trow your pack in the garbage and just quit. Easy like this. Everything you want in life you can do it. U just need to really want it ! xoxox

• Like 3

Jeez, the Champix therapy sounds really evil.

I did the patch. I wasn't very pleasant to be around for about 4-5 days, but it worked for me.

Lost an older sibling to the habit. Maybe that was a message to me. Only quit once & that was about 7yrs ago. I consider myself a non-smoker, but maybe I shouldn't be so smug. Upon reading some of the comments here, I can totally relate to how one can so easily fall off the wagon. I have absolutely no cravings, urges or need to try a smoke now. But, once an addict, always an addict?

I suggest looking into Laser Therapy for stopping smoking - effective on 95% of people I heard. Even the worst smokers. Cravings last only 2 mins then go away - unlike other therapies whereby the cravings never go away (making it harder to stop thinking about wanting to grab a smoke).

The service originated here in Ottawa and as my friends know - I have an open offer to them for me to pay for the service if they just go do it.

None of my buddies wanna quit :(

....but I suggest you look into it. I saw a clinic down Bank St just the other day. Bank/Walkley-ish.

GOOD LUCK! (...as the sexiest girls are smart girls ;) )

• Like 1

Cold Turkey Baby is the best way!!!.....On Champix the dreams were insane....I have a wild imagination to begin with and on champix WOW is all I am gonna say.....LOL!!

• Like 2

Guest N***he**Ont**y

I quit Cold Turkey a very long time ago. The secret to quitting Cold Turkey is your mind set. If you have decided to quit the habit you will. It may take a couple of attempts but it can be done. I quit before the patch was around and used gum to relieve the stress. Every time I had the urge to light up I used a stick of gum instead.

Guest IPayForPink

I heard that cold turkey is the only way..read the book the EasyWay To Quit Smoking...it's awesome

Cold turkey...1997. I was getting winded after exhaustive sex (ahhh, those were the days) so I quit. I didn't give a shit about cancer then, but I sure as hell do now. I will tell you this much. Are you prepared to kill yourself? Because if you get terminal cancer, from what I've heard and seen, it's the best option.

Barb-Tarboxs-picture-before-she-was-diagnosed-with-the-dreadful-disease-of-lung-cancer.png

Picture-submitted-for-FDA-approval-taken-5-days-before-Barb-succumed-to-lung-cancer.png

Google Barb Tarbox...sad story. And I'm not talking about just her story. I have a friend whose mother died of lung cancer. You know, they reassure us that they'll pump us full of morphine at the end, but you know what? The docs kept her doses low for some reason and she was screaming in agony for days until she died.

Another story, a mechanic friend of a friend got pancreatic cancer; he was begging his friend to kill him in the end. Lesson of the story? Don't smoke, don't count on your pain being drugged away, and be prepared to choose how you leave this world. Once you're too weak to leave the hospital, you're at their mercy. Maybe they're trying to cut costs. I don't think morphine's expensive, but considering the number of suffering and dying people, the dollars would add up quickly. Feign pain well in advance and hoard those opiates.

If you just can't quit your addiction, then invest in natural supplements which are proven to fight cancer:

turmeric, ginger, Vit D, fish oil, bromelain, selenium, grape seed extract, IP6, etc., and eat a 100% natural, processed-food-free diet. It may not stop cancer, but it may slow it down, and it will make you stronger if you need to be poisoned with chemotherapy and radiation (And don't just take 'their' word for it. If and when the day comes, and it will for 1 in 3 of us, I'll do my research, and if chemo and radiation are not proven to have a signifigant effect on whichever cancer it may be, I'll choose quality of life over quantity...PASS ME THE WEED OIL BABY! By the way, cannabidiols are proven to fight cancer)

It's hard to stay healthy in a world polluted by PCBs, polyvinyl chlorides, heavy metals, tonnes of radioactive dust particles from decades of nuclear tests and accidents, hell, even our homes our toxic: formaldehyde in building materials (gee, all those nice new homes, all OSB) and furniture, lead and asbestos in older homes, radon from our basements, etc). It's our own damn fault. This is what happens when we shit in our bed.

Oh, and yeah, smoking's bad. Quit now!

Now if cold turkey would just work with wine.

Edited by oldblueeyes
  • Like 1

Guest Ou**or**n

Cold turkey is for masochists. You will quit or not quit based on whether deep down you have decided to become a non-smoker. If you quit cold turkey you will experience nasty nicotine withdrawal that can be bad enough to undermine your will. Use the patch to ease this part. Taking Zyban also helps as it reduces the psychological urge to smoke.

Once you've made the decision to quit I can't understand why you wouldn't use all the tools available to help you be successful. Just understand however that they are mere supplements to you already having a firm commitment to becoming a non-smoker.