Plasma TV VS LCD TV

The picture is brighter on a plasma, the color is more true and the blacks are true black .... but they will not last as long (the plasma does burn out quicker than LCD's but new screens it's only about 10000 hours difference as LCD's will last 60000 hours and plasma's on average last 45-500000 hours (it us to be much less). Lcd's blacks are murky and not really black.

LCD is better for computers if your planning to use it for a computer display as well. LCD will not burn in as easily (Plasma will) and the resolution is better on a LCD.

Plasma refresh speed is better.

Energy consumption: LCD wins.. Plasma uses more energy (power) to run if that is a concern.

LCD often has hot spots as it's back lit with a florescent white bulb - this is also the reason for the murky blacks as to make black on a LCD the screen must block out the white light by turning on all the colors on that pixel full. This is not the case with the new sony LCD's however from my understanding.. they can turn off the white back light to give you true black on each pixel.

The new Sony bravia engine2 (LCD) and the Sharp Aquos (LCD) have really done some great things with LCD as they both do the BLACK's and WHITES much better (Much more like plasma). The sony does this by using a white LED back lighting (from my understanding - don't quote me on this but I recall this is how they achieve this) and Sharp does it with a black tft layer (or something like that) ... if you go compare them you will notice that the sony and the aquos are much closer to the plasma's in terms of contrast and sharpness.

My suggestion: Go to a store with LOTS of tv's and look at the pictures. Make sure you stand back from the TV the same distance it will be in your house. Also check viewing angles (can the people sitting off center see the screen as clearly? - you should have at least 120 degree viewing angle). Pick the one you like

My personal choice: I prefer plasma in a large room or in a sunny room where you need it to be very bight... but in a smaller (normal) size room LCD is preferred as I find the plasma too bright and too much contrast in a darker and smaller room.

I actually own a number of LCD's and never bought a plasma (as I have computers hooked up to all the tv's - obviously) and it's not a good idea to do that with plasma. My large lcd is getting close to replacement time and I think I will go with the new sony lcd with the engine2 but I will wait till the lcd I have now dies (should be within the next year) so who knows what they will come out with

A simple answer is if you're putting it in a bright room or plan on using it like a secondary computer monitor, you should go with LCD. And if you do go the LCD route, 720P vs 1080P is not what you should be concerned about, you should really focus on the refresh rate - make sure it is 120hz. You can get TV's with higher refresh rates, but they're very new and will be overpriced.

Having said that, my folks just picked up a 50" LG Plasma at CostCo for under $1000, and the picture is fantastic. Again, the 1080P thing is not going to be that big a deal. HD TV broadcasts are 720P and look unbelievably good on a 50" screen. For 1080P to be visually noticable, you may need to get a screen in the 65"+ range and of course it will only be blu-ray movies that are outputting at a resolution that high. They are making most of the TV's with 1080P now, but if you want to save a few bucks and get a big set for close to $1000, go with a 720P Plasma.

Now if you want to spend $2500, go nuts! At that end, you can get almost anything and can't go wrong. Stick with brand names you know to make sure. There are a billion stupid techy factors that are going to be thrown in your face, but go with what looks good to you. And oh yeah...make sure you get a HD box from your cable provider. That's something a lot of people don't do and wonder why their brand new TV showing a standard def feed looks so awful. I've seen people take their TV's back because of that or complain incessantly that the satellite isn't aligned properly. Duh, you need a HD feed ;)

it's really a subjective thing, you should look around and see which image and resolution you like best. I prefer LCD TV's especialy in a bright environment as the Plasma screens all have glass on the front wich reflects the light coming through the window durring the day or from the lights in the room at night. In a previous room configuration my 46" LCD was direclty across from a window and the only reflection visible was in the piano finish bevel. But to each there own there also the factor of brand preference. Yeah Sony's are great but way over priced, I prefer LG and Sharp for great quality an reasonable pricing.

Angela, I pretty much agree with everyones suggestions specially MOD's info seems the old boy did his homework. I have a 50" 1080P Panosonic plasma in the playroom where I can control the light sources. My other TV is a 50" LCD in the livingroom where I get huge amounts of sunlight during the day. What ever you do do not mount the TV I have one mounted and one on a stand and the mounted TV is a pain to get to all the connections because of the limited distance the mount gives you.

Oh by the way size does matter when choosing a wide screen, to big in a small room not good, too small in a big room terrible. The trick here is get blanket measure it out to what ever screen size you want tie the corners with wooden dowls and test to see how it blens in your room.

rub

If the screen you are buying is big (42+ inches) you may want 120mhz but the smaller ones do not need this (and most people would not notice the difference until you get up into the 50+ inch screens as the lower refresh rates can cause "Ghosting" in the quick action screens.

If you plan to use a computer on the TV stay away from 720p screens (you will wish you had a 1080p)

Also on my screen at my house I see a significant difference between the 720p content and the 1080p content in widescreen. If your going to go with HD chanels or even a dvd player with 1080p you will want to spend a few bucks more and make sure your screen is 1080p. If you just watch regular cable on this tv stick with 720p and save some bucks.

Oh by the way size does matter when choosing a wide screen, to big in a small room not good, too small in a big room terrible. The trick here is get blanket measure it out to what ever screen size you want tie the corners with wooden dowls and test to see how it blens in your room.

That is GREAT advise

I have a infocus HD projector so I cheated and projected the wall until I found the size I wanted. A blanket would have been way easier! LOL

If you buy the LCD and intend to watch sports or anything else with rapid pans across the scenery, you will want a higher refresh rate to reduce pixelation. Plasma are actually better for sports etc. But LCDs give the best picture for nature shows and dark movies.

I recently bought a 58" Panasonic Plasma and it is in a very bright room. Huge 6' window lets in a lot of light during the afternoon/early evening and it still can be seen very clearly.

As for burn in, the newer plasmas don't suffer this as much. I was instructed, for the first week or so, to watch TV using the lower brightness/contrast levels and after that, it wouldn't matter.

Someone also said that Plasma has a faster refresh rate which is true. It is great for watching sports in HD.

The Plasma also generates more heat than an LCD. If I'm cold, I can just go stand next to my TV to warm up.

Thanks for all your responses, I wish you could take me shopping! :oops: Ha I don't have a ride to get it home, but I would be willing to "trade" services, jks!

Thanks for all your responses, I wish you could take me shopping! :oops: Ha I don't have a ride to get it home, but I would be willing to "trade" services, jks!

Before you buy it ask about delivery service and if you can go with a store that delivers.

I have always been told that it depends on the room you are putting it in! LCD for bright rooms and Plasma for dark rooms!

What ever happened to the tube TV?

:grin:

Before you buy it ask about delivery service and if you can go with a store that delivers.

Been there, and done that. Most charge $100 or more for LOCAL delivery, no thanks:roll: Thanks for the heads up btw!

I have always been told that it depends on the room you are putting it in! LCD for bright rooms and Plasma for dark rooms!

What ever happened to the tube TV?

:grin:

It's sitting in my living room right now LMAO! 13" Citizen:roll:

Okay, so what are your opinions on any of these?

Yeah I know there are some rolling their eyes at Walmart, but they have be the best return policy hands down!

http://www.walmart.ca/wps-portal/storelocator/Canada-Electronic.jsp?selection=listingDetails&tabId=1&singledept=null&lang=&assetId=35284&imageId=49592&suggestedItem=&priceType=1&page=null&departmentId=63&categoryId=799&tabId=1

I know a guy that repairs TV's and he says to always buy the extended warranty on these new TV's, especially the Plasma screens because if the screen dies or you get lines in it, it's pretty much junk...the cost to replace the screen is about as high as a new TV.

I know a guy that repairs TV's and he says to always buy the extended warranty on these new TV's

Capitalman, I have to respectfully disagree. The extended warranties, on anything - not just TV's, have the highest profit margins of anything a store sells, higher than their credit cards even. Generally speaking, if there is something wrong with the TV, there is a great chance it will show within the first 6 months, well within the warranty included. Note as well that while most companies include 1 yr warranties, some (all?) Samsung models offer 2 years. In terms of 'burn-in' on plasma's, all the warranties I saw (both factory and extended) are pretty explicit in that it is NOT covered.

Angela, There is much valuable advice in the above posts, I hope I can add to it. In terms of what to buy, I did a huge amount of research in purchasing a new TV for a family xmas gift (I can get kinda obsessive about these things!). I started thinking plasma, convinced myself that LCD was better, and then finally went back to plasma and I am very happy with my decision.

Two points:

1) In order to get the best tv for you, you have to be upfront and honest about your viewing habits. Do you use the tv for sports? movies? video games? regular channel viewing? Do you plan on subscribing to High Definition channels (yes, they cost extra)? Where will the tv be? Where will you be sitting when watching the tv? Do you like to keep the tv on 'as company' even when you're not really watching? Do you fall asleep in front of your tv? Ask the salesperson: "Should I get LCD or Plasma?" - if they give you an answer then find someone else. If they say "I can't answer that" and start asking questions about how you will use it, then they very well may know what they are talking about.

2) If you are going from a 13" tube to a flat-panel, ANYTHING is going to look amazing to you. It's like going from a beat-up Toyota to a Ferrari - you won't really care if it's a 550 Marinello, a Testarossa or a 612 Scaglietti... it's a FERRARI!

Hope this helps.

• Like 1

Okay, so what are your opinions on any of these?

Yeah I know there are some rolling their eyes at Walmart, but they have be the best return policy hands down!

http://www.walmart.ca/wps-portal/storelocator/Canada-Electronic.jsp?selection=listingDetails&tabId=1&singledept=null&lang=&assetId=35284&imageId=49592&suggestedItem=&priceType=1&page=null&departmentId=63&categoryId=799&tabId=1

One last thing, Wal-mart is a great place to buy a tv if you already know what you want, but don't expect to much assistance. I don't know the model listed but the RCA's do not necessarily have the best reputation. Go with Panasonic, Samsung - can't lose. Some of the Sony's (lcd only), hitatchi, LG's, Toshiba are excellent as well. If you see a name you've never hear of, it is probably the 'house' brand - ask who actually makes the TV and what the equivalent name brand model would be - these can be some of the best deals!

No shame in a Wal-mart purchase. Sputy is right! Expect no real service - research your questions in advance and know what you want ahead of time as no one will be able to answer your questions at wal-mart (at least not well). Mabey the pot head dude I always get could help? "Is this one 1080p"? ... "No idea I just work here but my playstation games would look awesome on that!"

Keep in mind that you will get what you pay for, if you buy a RCA don't expect a sony quality picture. If you don't want to spend money on the sony pick something in the middle of the price range (LG, Samsung, etc... all good choices if you like the picture - Personally I do not like RCA's or Sanyo's or any of those wal-mart no name things they sell - not very fussy about the pannisonics either and I think Panasonic is techniques/goldstar and they use to be really good high quality stuff).

...but please go into the store and VIEW that model when it's on.

They could have the best return policy in the world but who wants to take back a giant heavy tv!? Also, I find that wal-mart does not have the best prices on big ticket stuff like this so if price is a concearn do some shopping around.

I hate the extended warenty sales pitch!

Angela, There is much valuable advice in the above posts, I hope I can add to it. In terms of what to buy, I did a huge amount of research in purchasing a new TV for a family xmas gift (I can get kinda obsessive about these things!). I started thinking plasma, convinced myself that LCD was better, and then finally went back to plasma and I am very happy with my decision

Believe me, I have been reading the above mentioned. I like to know what I am buying before I go into the store, then get there, and go home!

1) In order to get the best tv for you, you have to be upfront and honest about your viewing habits. Do you use the tv for sports? movies? video games? regular channel viewing? Do you plan on subscribing to High Definition channels (yes, they cost extra)? Where will the tv be? Where will you be sitting when watching the tv? Do you like to keep the tv on 'as company' even when you're not really watching? Do you fall asleep in front of your tv? Ask the salesperson: "Should I get LCD or Plasma?" - if they give you an answer then find someone else. If they say "I can't answer that" and start asking questions about how you will use it, then they very well may know what they are talking about

Prettty much for every day watching tv, with the occasional movie

2) If you are going from a 13" tube to a flat-panel, ANYTHING is going to look amazing to you. It's like going from a beat-up Toyota to a Ferrari - you won't really care if it's a 550 Marinello, a Testarossa or a 612 Scaglietti... it's a FERRARI!

I had a widescreen before, and it definately took some time for my eyes to adjust to it. Thanks again everyone.

I am looking at the RCA from Walmart, or another one from Stupid Store. Will keep you updated and take some before and after pictures of my living room:razz: