Microsoft patents means of limiting software

I am sold on Linux.

It is time to strip Microsoft of its monopoly position.

I find it outrageous that the Linux people can produce the same software for free, while all Microsoft is doing is finding new ways to squeeze more money out of you, hijack your computer and decide what you are allowed to do and what you are not, while providing a software that needs fixing all the time. :(

I am just waiting for adobe to come around and release a linux version of photoshop. It does not look like they will do this any time soon but Google sunk a pile of cash into wine/codeweavers just to focus on getting photoshop to work on linux.

You can run photoshop CS2 on linux under wine/crossoverlinux now and it's ok but it still is not 100% stable and will freeze and crash without warning.

Thankfully it runs amazing on the mac but adobe is not releasing a 64 bit version of CS4 for the MAC (Some issue with the way OSX manages itself). I can only dream of 64 bit photoshop back on a unix platform (where it belongs). The good old days with photoshop3 running on unix is very missed by many.

Guest S*rca****sid

Fortunately most Linux distros come loaded with GIMP... Very nice program, but takes a bit of practice to get use to it. I guess you could say the same thing for Photoshop if you have never used it before.

http://www.gimp.org/

Fortunately most Linux distros come loaded with GIMP... Very nice program, but takes a bit of practice to get use to it. I guess you could say the same thing for Photoshop if you have never used it before.

http://www.gimp.org/

having use both I personally prefer Photoshop. Gimp feels....clunky. If you want something done cheaply Gimp is worth a shot. If you are doing this daily you should give Photoshop a look.

Edited by etasman2000
Extra comments.

GIMP is CLUNKY but for the price you can't complain (It's FREE and comes with most distro's now).

It if fine for doing web based photos but anything that requires off-set press (CMYK) your S.O.L (Shit outa luck) as GIMP is only RGB.

Also photoshop has some really kick ass features that speed up your work flow (especially when editing backgrounds and stuff out of photos).

GIMP is WAY BETTER (Leaps and bounds better) over Microsoft paint (that comes bundled with windows) in fact I think GIMP is better or equal to many photo editing programs... you just can't compare it to photoshop at this time however as it's more like a bad immitation but with loads of potential. The good news you don't have to dish out 1000.00usd for a copy!! The MSRP on CS4 is 999.99USD!

You can't do professional graphic design with GIMP but you can do web design graphics very well so for most of us here it would work just fine.

I think photoshop will run stable on linux before we see GIMP comparable to photoshop.

I think photoshop will run stable on linux before we see GIMP comparable to photoshop.

With the Mac running a Unix core some of us hoped it would be sooner then later.

You would think it would be fairly easy but it's all about market share and linux just is not big enough (and most linux people are all about free open source software so a 1000.00 program is a hard sell for most users).

Now not having a 64 bit version on the mac? Now that would be a mistake for both apple and adobe.