Problems with Linux/Ubuntu

I have asked a few people in private, but maybe someone here can help me?

I had problems installing Ubuntu on my Toshiba Vista laptop, but finally succeeded using Virtualbox.

Everything seems to be fine, except I am having problems with the resolution. What I have is a small square in the middle of a big screen.

I understand from googling that this is a common bug, especially with Toshiba laptops, but I can't find a solution anywhere that I could follow.

Linux people are to techy for me, I have no idea what they are talking about....

The errors that come up say something about I am not using Nvidia, which I DO. I updated the driver and it didn't solve the problem.

Anybody knows how to fix this? Also, when I watch a video it is very bad quality. My laptop is new and has all the bells and whistles and works fine under Windows.

Thanks.

Guest E**a

Is it possible for you to change the screen resolution through the KDE configuration panel?

If not I would suggest you to try another Linux distribution. I myself have tried many of them. Some won't install on my computer and some others will freeze. Right now I am using Mandriva and it works like a charm.

http://www.mandriva.com/en/download/free

You can also replace the video card driver through your x-windows configuration. There should be a Linux driver kicking around that you can download for your Toshiba.

Thanks for the tip Elsa:)

I was using Gnome instead of KDE, so I downloaded that one, but it doesn't make any difference.

I did a system check and there was a question if the resolution is acceptable? I said "no", but nothing happened :)

Also, it says my NDIVIA is not compatible with something, I think it said I am using i386, which is an ancient computer, mine is new.

Anyway, I am downloading now Mandriva and we'll see what happens. It is getting a bit frustrating and I am starting to like Windows more and more LOL. Just kidding.

Thanks again

Anita,

I had the same error with the most recent Ubuntu release on a Lenovo laptop just a few weeks ago. I wish I could help but I erased the whole disk drive a few days later. I've been running through the various linux distributions trying to find one whose user interface I like. Yesterday was Suse Enterprise Desktop, today is Fedora. ;-)

Sorry I can't help...

You can also replace the video card driver through your x-windows configuration. There should be a Linux driver kicking around that you can download for your Toshiba.

Thanks samuraiboi, sorry I didn't see your post before...

I am going to try and get a driver from Toshiba.

what is x-windows?

Try opening a terminal and installing the nvida drivers from terminal (If this does not work tell me what nvida card you are using Gforce FX 9000? (or something like that??)

sudo apt-get install nvidia-glx-new (let it download the application)

sudo nvidia-glx-config enable (This will enable it)

reboot (This will reboot unbuntu so it can take effect)

sudo nvidia-settings (This will let you configure the settings for resolution)

Anita,

I had the same error with the most recent Ubuntu release on a Lenovo laptop just a few weeks ago. I wish I could help but I erased the whole disk drive a few days later. I've been running through the various linux distributions trying to find one whose user interface I like. Yesterday was Suse Enterprise Desktop, today is Fedora. ;-)

Sorry I can't help...

thanks anyway, Sherman.

I wish I knew what Suse Enterprise and Fedora are, but they sound nice :)

They are all versions on LINUX anita. Fedora is RedHat (Cerb actually runs on Fedora) they make great servers. Many distributions exist (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Linux_distributions)

Honestly UBUNTU is the most commercial and easy to use I find for the home user. It works on most PC's right from install. Video cards, wireless cards and some other specialy cards are not always easy to get working - some do not work at all as they are only made for windows (Like a MAC - you can not install all PCI cards into a mac and have them work - they must have drivers for the MAC os).

Try ubuntu and using a terminal window (you will find that in the main menu) just install the nvidia driver. If it does not work you may have a nvida card that does not have linux drivers yet (but I am not aware of any that do not work).

Try opening a terminal and installing the nvida drivers from terminal (If this does not work tell me what nvida card you are using Gforce FX 9000? (or something like that??)

sudo apt-get install nvidia-glx-new (let it download the application)

sudo nvidia-glx-config enable (This will enable it)

reboot (This will reboot unbuntu so it can take effect)

sudo nvidia-settings (This will let you configure the settings for resolution)

Thanks Mod,

I did that and it told me to download a replacement, which I did, but when I wanted to enable it it didn't understand what I wanted.

After I rebooted I had the same error message as before.

The other annoying thing is that once I open Ubuntu everything surrounding it, including the toolbars become black and I can't switch to windows. Only way to do that is to use Ctrl/Esc, but even then it opens for a second and closes it right away....

I will try my luck with Mandriva to see if that one works.

That would be a virtualBOX thing and not the actual ubuntu install. I think the virtual box uses some kind of windows based video driver, I don't think it actually uses the default driver installing into your ubuntu virtual OS... but I am not that well versed yet with virtualbox so mabey someone else would have the answer to this.

Hi Anita,

It seems by reading your posts that you're running both Windows and Ubuntu on that laptop? If so, might I recommend a cool solution from the folks at Ubuntu called WUBI.

What this gives you is a full install of ubuntu without needing to repartition your Windows drives to make room for it and also not installing a "guest operating system" that runs over top of Windows. Upon setup, you run wubi.exe from within windows and it allocates space for ubuntu without actually installing it as a virtual machine... it's a true install just using space given to it from Windows. (gosh, when I re-read that sounds kinda Linux-nerdy... let me know if I need to tone it down and if I can clarify anything.)

Actually, upon boot-up, it'll ask you which OS you want to load - Windows or Ubuntu... if you pick Ubuntu, then Windows doesn't load at all.

I mention this because I think Mod is right in that using a VirtualBox (VMWare is another common one) actually just emulates access to the video card through Windows (or whatever your host Operating System is)... WUBI provides full access directly to the hardware... and from what I see, Mod's instructions would likely work in that case.

http://wubi-installer.org/

There's also a short (albeit basic) intro to NVidia and Ubuntu not playing well here (http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/nvidia). I had to use "unsigned drivers" which is a bit of a runaround because by being unsigned, it means they're not "open" - which is the whole raison d'etre of Linux... but they work.

I hope that helps!

Wubi is a great suggestion, I have used that before and it worked great. Makes it VERY easy to install ubuntu.

Hi Anita,

It seems by reading your posts that you're running both Windows and Ubuntu on that laptop? If so, might I recommend a cool solution from the folks at Ubuntu called WUBI.

Thanks Nebbah and Mod for the suggestion, but my Toshiba seems to be Wubi-proof :)

I tried it and it stops in the middle and won't go anywhere.

I turned Firewall and Antivirus off and still.... doesn't work.

Same thing with Mandiva.

I guess I'll just leave it and I am sure whatever is wrong they will fix it sometime....

Is it possible for you to change the screen resolution through the KDE configuration panel?

If not I would suggest you to try another Linux distribution. I myself have tried many of them. Some won't install on my computer and some others will freeze. Right now I am using Mandriva and it works like a charm.

http://www.mandriva.com/en/download/free

Thanks again for the suggestion, but unfortunately, Mandriva won't work on my laptop either. It must have something to do with Toshiba.

:(

Funny thing is, I had no problems installing Ubuntu on my older LG laptop with Windows XP.

Toshiba's can be a tough cookie to crack - they are known to use proprietary hardware specific to toshiba's (such as motherboard drivers) but your video card being a nvida should not be the problem. I have had problems in the past with intel video cards

With the intel cards I go into the terminal and type install vga=771

that usually solves the video card issues but this being a nvida card I would think it probably has something to do with the motherboard drivers.

Also, are you installing the correct version for your system? (Make sure your not installing a 64 bit system into a system that should be 32 bit... I would suspect this would stop your install).

What model is your toshiba laptop? A quick search on google may find some specific problems and work arounds. Can you run UBUNTU if you boot from the disk (I think you hit F12 when you turn on your computer on a toshiba to boot from CD). The UBUNTU disk should boot linux right from the CD (Without the need to install) - this is a good way to check if the full install will work or not.

Thanks Mod,

My laptop is Qosmio G50.

It is a great laptop, a pleasure to work on. The keyboard is a dream and the sound of it is like a real stereo....

Yes, when I start Ubuntu from the disk it does work.

It is 64 bit, that might be the problem...

http://www.toshiba.ca/web/product.grp?lg=en&section=1&group=1&product=8470&category=

I am trying to pay attention to the bit, but all of my old programs seem to work.

It has "program files" and "program files (x86)" I don't know which one is which, but I think one must be 32 bit, the other 64....

Hi Anita,

Just checked the laptop - very nice. The sound and video would be enough to sell me. You're right, it does have a 64-bit architecture, so Wubi should automatically download the 64-bit version and install it.

Like Mod said, Toshibas are notorious for not playing nice with Linux in general... well, Ubuntu, anyway.

Something else I find weird is that it'll run from a LiveCD but won't install. Are you installing it on C:\ or do you have the drives partitioned? I had some issue with installing it to a drive other than C:\, which is why I ask.

Also - did you download the .iso file first from Ubuntu or let Wubi do the whole thing? You may want to try downloading the .iso file from the net and then putting the file into the same folder as wubi. When Wubi sees it, it'll install from there as opposed to downloading a fresh copy.

Sorry for taking what must look like random shots at what might work, but I've had issue with all the previous things I've mentioned.

I eventually got it working and loved it until I switched to a Mac for most stuff. There's no Wubi for it yet, but it seems it's coming.

Good luck.

Nebbah

Hi Anita,

Just checked the laptop - very nice. The sound and video would be enough to sell me. You're right, it does have a 64-bit architecture, so Wubi should automatically download the 64-bit version and install it.

Like Mod said, Toshibas are notorious for not playing nice with Linux in general... well, Ubuntu, anyway.

Something else I find weird is that it'll run from a LiveCD but won't install. Are you installing it on C:\ or do you have the drives partitioned? I had some issue with installing it to a drive other than C:\, which is why I ask.

Also - did you download the .iso file first from Ubuntu or let Wubi do the whole thing? You may want to try downloading the .iso file from the net and then putting the file into the same folder as wubi. When Wubi sees it, it'll install from there as opposed to downloading a fresh copy.

Sorry for taking what must look like random shots at what might work, but I've had issue with all the previous things I've mentioned.

I eventually got it working and loved it until I switched to a Mac for most stuff. There's no Wubi for it yet, but it seems it's coming.

Good luck.

Nebbah

Hi Nebbah,

Thanks, I really love this laptop. Ever since I bought it I don't want to have anything to do with my old ones :)

I have tried to install directly on the C drive, but when it comes to partitioning it says that I have only one partition, C, and it is 450GB, and there is no Operation System on it and it is going to erase everything.

This is enough for me to stop installing :)

I tried the other version that says without partitioning, but that did not work either, and finally, I succeeded using Virtualbox.

When I tried wubi I just downloaded wubi, and let it do the rest. I might try the way you told me to, to download the iso file and put it in the same folder.

I really appreciate your help :)

I thought I found the error. I downloaded the i386 version instead of the 64 bit, but when I install the 64 bit (with or without wubi) I get the same error.

It does install, but when I try to boot Ubuntu I get an error message that doesn't go away unless I pull the plug and remove the battery.

I am reading that this can be dangerous, so I guess I will just leave it for now before something bad happens.

Thanks everybody for your help, you've been great :)

OOh... yeah you should never do that. Hold your power button for 4 seconds it will shut down for you. You can also try ctrl+alt+f1 when you get the error, and that should allow you to log in via the terminal.

If you can get to a terminal prompt type

>install vga=771

>reboot

Without the > sign of course...

I did find a specific video card driver for that laptop

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=1882835

If you can get in using the default video you can than download this driver and install the video driver specific to your toshiba computer. (Toshiba's really are a pain but they are really nice machines - May favorite laptop was a toshiba).

Don't give up! Linux is all about learning and you have already come a long way! ;)

Not a Linux expert, but I've tried about a dozen flavours so far.

Stopped at Mepis 7 (KDE). First one to find all my hardware. Smoothest install, good Control Center and Assistants.

Then there is Kanotix (some think good for Toshiba laptops).

Of course as with all distros, YMMV :smile:

http://plg.uwaterloo.ca/●gvcormac/mepis.html

I have not tried mephis myself. Good to hear from someone who has had a good experience with it. It's Debian based (Like Ubuntu) and I think it even uses the Ubuntu packages and repositories does it not? I have heard good things about the support team as well (that they keep it up to date).

Kano (Kanotix) is a good choice for people who has hardware errors as it's full of specialty drivers and advanced hardware detection so yes, it would probably be a good choice for a stubborn Toshiba laptop! LOL... Good call!