SP Travelling to the US?

I have worked in the U.S many times and was EXTREMELY careful to the ninth degree when I was going through U.S. customs. I didn't carry condoms, didn't carry a laptop ( the hotel I stayed at had internet you could use on the tv provided with a keyboard) no sex toys, or anything related to my job. The money I made was sent home by Western Union. Anything I needed to perform my job was bought in the U.S. and discarded when I left ( i.e. left over condoms). Lingerie was bought brand new at Victoria's Secret.

However, I did get pulled aside at the Ottawa airport going back into Canada from Chicago for having a protein bar I forgot about packed in my bag. Since I forgot to declare it as food, I was searched for an hour. I had an answer for every question they threw at me but they were more concerned that I wasn't declaring things off a huge shopping trip because I stated that I was visiting a friend ( more like an exclusive client who could back me up if needed) and wasn't asked anything about employment.

Working in the U.S. is more hassle than it's worth nowadays. Back then, it was very lucrative. I wouldn't attempt to do it again. Not worth it.

I read a story just last week about a woman crossing over the border to US with a few fancy lingerie, and a few condoms in her luggage. She was going with a male companion. It was supposed to be a romantic getaway, and it isn't a stretch to imagine sexy times would be had.

But border control said the 24 year old McGill student was a prostitute and issued a 10 year ban on her.

Americans.

Piano... that was what I was talking about.

The 10 year ban??? Nothing. She was stopped because she had been caught working illegally in the states as a nude model and subject to a lifetime ban. The whole accused prostitution thing is window dressing.

Bottom line is that EVERY country has the right to determine who they will admit and who they won't. It's their law and if we want to enter we have to play by their rules.

• Like 1

Bottom line is that EVERY country has the right to determine who they will admit and who they won't. It's their law and if we want to enter we have to play by their rules.

Yep. It's by no means just the US that does this sort of thing... although I think it tends to get more attention when they do it partly because they seem to be far more in-your-face about it than many countries, and partly because it jars so horribly with the whole "Land Of The Free" thing. As OD said, every country has the right to admit or deny entry to anyone (except their own citizens, and any others to whom they may have explicitly awarded those rights) for any reason, however capricious, or for no reason at all.

But my understanding (and I should probably say right out that IANAL) is that whenever you go from one country to another, there's a moment when you've left one country, but not yet been admitted to the next. And at this point you're in legal limbo, and you really don't have very many rights at all, or any appeal to any higher authority. You're completely at the mercy of the border guards of the country you're entering, and they generally have a lot of power to make your life utterly miserable. So be polite to them, even (especially!) when they're being utter douchebags.

This information is very valuable.

I also no longer go to the US because the hassle is just extreme. Even the savings of cross border shopping are not worth it.

That being said, I know other people who were no way involved in anything sex related who got into trouble at the border.

The explanation about rights and lack therefore is very useful to anyone considering any trips to the USA for any reason.

I will agree that there may be a bit more to the story than meets the eye. If in fact she was caught "working" in the States without proper permission, they are way more anal about that.

I travel to the US to referee sporting events, "as a volunteer". I have been given the third degree several times, and was detained and had my car completely tossed because they couldn't understand why I was not being paid. I explained to them that in the area I go, there is an absence of trained officials, and that if I don't do it, the games don't get played. I am doing it to promote my sport, which is a non-traditional sport. They have a hard time believing in altruism. However I am so well known by many of the border guards now, I rarely have a problem anymore.