Hotels Requiring a Key Card for Elevator

In the interest of sharing knowledge, I'd like to start listing the Montreal Hotels that do require a room key to use the elevators. For some, this isn't a issue as they don't mind meeting the lady downstairs. For others, perhaps this will be a useful resource.

The Embassy Suites in Old Town requires a room key.

• Like 1

I do not have first-hand knowledge of these hotels, just reporting what I have read. As with everything on the internet--take with a grain (sack?) of salt!

The Hilton Garden Inn (Sherbrooke/Park ave.)

The Vogue

Novotel

Le Westin

Le St-Martin Hotel and Suites

All require room keys to access the elevators. If anyone has any actual details to report, then I will gladly edit and amend the list.

• Like 1

Guest **spo**

Can confirm the Vogue, Westin, and St-Martin all require it. You want to stay away from the St-Martin, the lobby is very small and the frown on female company, they know what's going on....The Vogue and Westin you can meet your company on the second floor, much like at the W as Gabriella has alluded to.

http://www.wmontrealhotel.com/ also requires a key card for the elevators.

BUT you can always meet your company at the mezzanine lounge bar for a cocktail before heading upstairs...

And the Mezzanine lounge is superb, and the bar staff professional, talented, always relaxed even when busy, and certainly good looking. The atmosphere is great, and there is always great music.

• Like 3

The Best Western Europa which is closer to St. Catherines/Cresecent are does not require a key. The Holiday Inn Express, Days Inn and Candlewood on Rene Levesque near St. Laurent require a key.

|

The Fairmont Queen Elizabeth requires a key for the elevator to certain floors. If you decide to meet your date for a drink downstairs be cautioned that there are two bars at the lobby level...you'll want to specify which one you will be in.

I was at the St-Martin yesterday and my date met me in the parking lot and we walked in together, the back doors are right by the elevator so no need to pass by the front desk. ;)

• Like 2

So reading through all the posts and other sources here is a list of Hotels that REQUIRE a room key to use the elevator:

Hotel 10 (Hotel formely known as Opus)

Candlewood Suites

Le Crystal

Embassy Suites

Hilton Garden Inn

Holiday Inn Express

Inter Continental

Loews Vogue

Novotel

St-Martin

W Montreal

Le Westin

The following require a room key for certain "premium" floors:

Delta MTL

Fairmont Q.E.

I also saw the Days Inn listed once, but haven't been able to confirm that because the searching for "days" is pretty darn unproductive. Any additions, corrections or subtractions, and I'll edit the list.

{Edited} per some feedback I have received on another board.

Edited by greenacres99

The Holiday Inn on Sherbrooke also requires a room key for the elevators.

I was at the Sheraton Centre Friday night and when I left around 10:30 pm there was security checking room keys to access the elevator area. They were not there when I arrived at 8 pm.

Here is the revised list incorporating Tiannas' recent contributions.

Hotels that REQUIRE a room key to use the elevator:

Candlewood Suites

Le Crystal

Embassy Suites

Hilton Garden Inn

Holiday Inn Express

Holiday Inn Montreal Midtown

Inter Continental

Loews Vogue

Montreal Airport Marriott Hotel

Novotel

St-Martin

W Montreal

Le Westin

Delta MTL

Fairmont Q.E.

Finally the following Hotel(s) sometimes has security checking for room keys at certain times (usually evening during nearby events):

Sheraton Centre

I also saw the Days Inn listed once, but haven't been able to confirm that because the searching for "days" is pretty darn unproductive. Any additions, corrections or subtractions, and I'll edit the list.

{Edited} Thank you!

• Like 1

Couldn't edit, so had to re-post to update the list.

Candlewood Suites

Courtyard Mariott

Le Crystal

Embassy Suites

Hilton Garden Inn

Holiday Inn Express

Inter Continental

Loews Vogue

Novotel

St-Martin

W Montreal

Le Westin

Delta MTL

Fairmont Q.E.

Finally the following Hotel(s) sometimes has security checking for room keys at certain times (usually evening during nearby events):

Sheraton Centre

• Like 1

Hotel Le Dauphin Montreal Downtown REQUIRES a room key. A small hotel with a small lobby and even smaller staff, but I still made it work. If I get another hotel to add, I'll re-post the list... For now it seems silly to repeat it all for this one addition.

The Hyatt Regency does not require a room key to use the guest elevator. And the lobby is multi-level with plenty of places to meet a guest near the bar, pool table, reception, or wine lounge.

Loews Hotel Vogue has unlocked their elevators, so they have been working without a key card.

I've been here twice in the past month and was able to get upstairs no problem.

Not sure why they would unlock the elevators, I do hope it is a permanent change.

• Like 1

Great work. I had planned on the Westin or W. I would prefer to avoid lounges. That being said can any providers or members suggest accessible 4-5 star hotels that have worked in the past? Thanks.

Great work. I had planned on the Westin or W. I would prefer to avoid lounges. That being said can any providers or members suggest accessible 4-5 star hotels that have worked in the past? Thanks.

Hello Cooperuke,

Unfortunately, I am not too comfortable revealing the 4-5 star hotels I see gentlemen at but what you could do is

visit this link and call the hotels to see if they require a key card for the elevators (that's what I do when I travel).

Some of them have already been mentioned in this thread as requiring a key card so it will cut down the list a little and won't take you as long.

Have fun with your date!

Gabby xox

• Like 1

Candlewood Suites

Courtyard Mariott

Le Crystal

Le Dauphin Downtown

Embassy Suites

Hilton Garden Inn

Holiday Inn Express

Inter Continental

Novotel

St-Martin

W Montreal

Le Westin

Delta MTL

Fairmont Q.E.

The following Hotel(s) sometimes has security checking for room keys at certain times (usually evening during nearby events):

Sheraton Centre

The latest information is that the following Hotel(s) NO LONGER require a room key to use the elevators:

Loews Vogue

Latest update. As usual, thanks to tiannas and everyone else who has shared info!

In other places, there's been quite a few posts shared regarding the latest hotel elevator info. Here is what I got out of the last 4 months of posts. Please note that several of these hotels seemed to have change their policy at least once. This is the most recent info, but you may find a different situation when you actually check-in.

Hotels that REQUIRE a room key to use the elevator at all times:

Candlewood Suites

Courtyard Marriott

Days Inn (Rene-Levesque)

Embassy Suites

Le Crystal

Le Dauphin Downtown

Hilton Garden Inn

Holiday Inn Express

Inter-Continental

Novotel

St-Martin

W Montreal

Le Westin

The following Hotel(s) MAY require a room key to use the elevators during evening hours:

Loews Vogue

Ritz Carlton

Hotels that require a room key for certain "premium" floors:

Delta MTL

Fairmont Q.E.

Meridien Versailles

The following Hotel(s) sometimes has security checking for room keys at certain times (usually evening during nearby events):

Sheraton Centre