Speech from the Throne

Actually... and at the risk of raising a few eyebrows... I don't have a problem with this.

I'd consider that the government of the day has a duty to defend the laws that are currently on the books whenever they're challenged in court, and this has absolutely nothing to do with whether that government actually approves of those laws or not. Obviously there's no particular conflict when the government supports the law being challenged, but when a government disapproves of a law the correct course of action is to introduce legislation to change that law, rather than to simply refuse to defend it in court.

Having said all that, I have no doubt that this somewhat esoteric argument isn't actually the reason the current government is opposing the Bedford case so vigorously :) And with reference to that case: my understanding is that the government will simply have to abide by whatever the SCC rules, and if they don't like the ruling they'll have to get a bill through Parliament to change the law appropriately. They have no choice in the matter: suck it up, or legislate.

• Like 1

Anything to distract voters from the Senate mess.

Plus, Throne Speeches in general have a little bit of everything in them to appeal to every possible voter's interests. A lot of it turns out to be fluff that is forgotten or never acted on.

Plus, Throne Speeches in general have a little bit of everything in them to appeal to every possible voter's interests. A lot of it turns out to be fluff that is forgotten or never acted on.

Generally speaking not worth the paper they're printed on.

The Department of Justice Act requires that the Minister of Justice examine every Bill and Regulation to ensure that it does not violate the Charter. I wonder if Rob Nicholson is at all concerned.

I have never seen a speach from the throne........must be funny and awkard to see some one itting there on a toilette while talking about the economic future.......

Posted via Mobile Device

• Like 1

violate the Charter

Vic Toews wanted to have warrantless searches of your computer, browsing history, emails and phone records.

Yeah, the Tories really care about the Charter.

Vic Toews wanted to have warrantless searches of your computer, browsing history, emails and phone records.

Yeah, the Tories really care about the Charter.

Good point but do keep in mind that they do have (and use) warrant-less access to this information, Toews only failed to make it official and legal in all cases.