Fully decriminalized prostitution in Canada. What does it look like to you?

Guest A*ro**n

If the Supreme Court finds that the prohibitions on prostitution brought up in the Bedford case are found to be unconstitutional and assuming the government cannot pass any new laws that would replace these prohibitions, what changes do you think we would see to this industry?

I posted this link elsewhere too, but it's a great article and will fit perfectly here.

It's an accurate overview of what will likely be next after decriminalization, and what sex workers want & need, and what we don't want in a post de-crim Canada. :)

The Sex Workers Are Coming

By Joyce Arthur

http://rabble.ca/columnists/2013/04/sex-workers-are-coming

• Like 8

Guest A*ro**n

Thanks Emily. That was a good article that explained alot. I suppose the lynch pin to things going as suggested and subduing government from enacting new laws will be educating the general public about the industry.

If the Supreme Court finds that the prohibitions on prostitution brought up in the Bedford case are found to be unconstitutional and assuming the government cannot pass any new laws that would replace these prohibitions, what changes do you think we would see to this industry?

I feel it is very likely that the Supreme Court will find in favour of Bedford et. al. However, I'm not so sure that the Government can't pass new legislation. Such a verdict would no doubt stick in Harper's craw, and people like Joy Smith would like nothing more than to see prostitution be made illegal in this country... I'm hoping that the ruling won't come down until after the next federal election, by which time (hopefully) the senate scandal will have taken its toll and Justin Trudeau will be the new Prime Minister.

I feel it is very likely that the Supreme Court will find in favour of Bedford et. al. However, I'm not so sure that the Government can't pass new legislation. Such a verdict would no doubt stick in Harper's craw, and people like Joy Smith would like nothing more than to see prostitution be made illegal in this country... I'm hoping that the ruling won't come down until after the next federal election, by which time (hopefully) the senate scandal will have taken its toll and Justin Trudeau will be the new Prime Minister.

JT also did an interview in a Toronto magazine. He was asked what he thought about the issue. I appreciated his answer in wanting make sure that adequate consultation was done (which hopefully, if done, includes sex work orgs).

New Zealand has completely decrim model in place and I hope the courts can at least look to them for ways to move forward that is more inclusive for all--not just a certain type of sex worker.

Thanks for posting the article EmilyJ! Xo

• Like 1