Pigales -- the name

More accurately, he asking for the pronunciation, which is as others have said the short A as in Apple. Has anyone here actually been to Pigalle in Paris, now that would be a blast!

More accurately, he asking for the pronunciation, which is as others have said the short A as in Apple. Has anyone here actually been to Pigalle in Paris, now that would be a blast!

I have. It's where the Moulin Rouge and other cancan establishments are, from the nineteenth century. Fairly sleazy when I was in the area a few years ago, but it may have improved since.

http://cerb.ca/vbulletin/album.php?albumid=1035&pictureid=6053

Yes, I was there 2 years ago... But I went in the day time the area around the Moulin Rouge on Clichy seemed very much a touristy area. Brought my kids (12 and 16) there during the day time. The MR was expensive. I went to the St. Denis area on my own at night. On previous trips (5 or 6 times over the years), the area I recalled as Pigale was definately "seedy"... Recall (about 15- 20 years ago), I was on a valet tour that took us to a strip club. It featured a "heavy moma" from New Orleans that took her fragrent panties and put the under the nose of some rich Texan woman (looking like "Ladybird") and asked her if she liked the smell ? The lady played along, smiled and said, "oh yes, they smell nice"... On another trip, there was a club with a "Life Show" were the featured performers ended up putting a pillow on my lap and fucking on it ! It really did happen and I was so shy about the whole thing !

About the same time, Frank had another club in Hull called the Lido, and I actually did go the that place in Paris. More like the camcam shows at the MR. The Crazy Horse was a better show IMHO. Heard that LaToya Jakson was supposed to have performed at the MR, but I never saw her there..

My apologies, the MR is in the Pigale, and, I should have gone there at night ! I was one block away on Clichy...

There is a place called Follies Pigalle, I missed it though...

http://maps.google.ca/maps?hl=en&source=hp&ie=UTF8&q=Pigalle&fb=1&gl=ca&hq=Pigalle&hnear=Pigalle&ei=uIy2SurZGJqCyQSzovyoCA&cd=4&near=Pigalle,+75009+Paris,+%C3%8Ele-de-France,+France&vps=1&jsv=176c&sll=49.891235,-97.15369&sspn=16.71875,56.536561&latlng=11085344780998653511&usq=Pigalle&geocode=FXbh6QIdKqkjAA

Edited by survived70s
photo still not attached

On previous trips (5 or 6 times over the years), the area I recalled as Pigale was definately "seedy"...

I thought it was a pretty interesting area to stay in though, very lively at night (unlike, surprisingly, a lot of other areas of Paris).