For the appreciation of Dad's!

Tomorrow is Father's Day, and I am excited to tell you about my father.

Acadian French family, this man worked hard all his life! Left school in grade 3!! Nobody thought he would ever make it in life. They said " you have retardation, you can not have kids or they can be retarded too, you will not be able to work other then farm work" ( yes that is the language they used!)

Off to the farm her went! Slaving over hay bundles, mucking out cow barns, doing whatever they asked of him. He remained there for many years, his family thought this was the best for him, as they did this in his day. He lived a miserable life on that farm, abused and neglected:(

Spring forward to adulthood. He met my Mother, was love at first sight. They ran away, hopping trains all the way west. Came back east with my sister and married. He began a job with Canada Post, then later DND. He also ran 2 business, Carpet cleaning and commercial cleaning, ran a staff too!

For a man who "was not suppose to make it life and retarded" he raised 3 daughters, worked everyday of his life to provide. Has a heart of gold and is a gentle as a kitten to those around him. Uneducated and illiterate.

Some may say success is having comfortable and thick bank account. I say his success is exceeding beyond anything that others thought, always kept his pride, never a day with out a job ( still working BTW 66 yrs), and has the respect of all his daughters. He is my best friend, my hero and the one I call Dad!

• Like 8

Tomorrow is Father's Day, and I am excited to tell you about my father.

Acadian French family, this man worked hard all his life! Left school in grade 3!! Nobody thought he would ever make it in life. They said " you have retardation, you can not have kids or they can be retarded too, you will not be able to work other then farm work" ( yes that is the language they used!)

Off to the farm her went! Slaving over hay bundles, mucking out cow barns, doing whatever they asked of him. He remained there for many years, his family thought this was the best for him, as they did this in his day. He lived a miserable life on that farm, abused and neglected:(

Spring forward to adulthood. He met my Mother, was love at first sight. They ran away, hopping trains all the way west. Came back east with my sister and married. He began a job with Canada Post, then later DND. He also ran 2 business, Carpet cleaning and commercial cleaning, ran a staff too!

For a man who "was not suppose to make it life and retarded" he raised 3 daughters, worked everyday of his life to provide. Has a heart of gold and is a gentle as a kitten to those around him. Uneducated and illiterate.

Some may say success is having comfortable and thick bank account. I say his success is exceeding beyond anything that others thought, always kept his pride, never a day with out a job ( still working BTW 66 yrs), and has the respect of all his daughters. He is my best friend, my hero and the one I call Dad!

Beautiful... thank you for sharing.

Both my parents gave pasted away and for a number of reasons I find Father's day a very difficult day... if I could I would skip right over it so I appreciated your comments about your dad because it made me think about my dad in a positive way.... my father was a wonderful man... kind and giving sometimes to a fault. He loved his children prepared us well for the world and kept us safe.... we knew we were loved and safe. As I reflect back in my role as a father and compare my accomplishments with my father's I know I am not half the father he was and perhaps that's why I don't like father's day.

Just my thoughts

• Like 1

Beautiful... thank you for sharing.

Both my parents gave pasted away and for a number of reasons I find Father's day a very difficult day... if I could I would skip right over it so I appreciated your comments about your dad because it made me think about my dad in a positive way.... my father was a wonderful man... kind and giving sometimes to a fault. He loved his children prepared us well for the world and kept us safe.... we knew we were loved and safe. As I reflect back in my role as a father and compare my accomplishments with my father's I know I am not half the father he was and perhaps that's why I don't like father's day.

Just my thoughts

Ohh Dear,

I can understand:( I often think of how I will feel when I do loose him. I will devastated! I hope that I have people who know me the best to catch my fall because it will be the hardest thing for me to come to terms with.

I know my Dad would want me to celebrate his life, learn from his life. He would want me to put on some Jonny Cash and have a beer in his memory!

He has even told me so, hahhaha, so now I have no choice, gotta listen to Dad! hahaha

I know how you feel about " half the man" feeling because I always say that about my Mom, but also my Dad, I suppose that is who I am best of both:) lol

Think of the good times, how you are alike and how different you are, and all the wonderful lessons along the way!

Cheers my friend!

• Like 1

Ah Dads. He started off as my hero. Bacame my worst enemy for years. Than as I matured he became my best friend. Never understood why he always seemed to ride my ass so hard until I became a father myself. He only wanted the best for me and to prepare me for the world. I would be lost without him. Even at thirty five he still is the best source of information in the world for me. Just hope I can be half the dad to my boys as he is to me.

• Like 2

Unfortunately I was never really close to my Dad until a few months before he died. At least I was able to get closure with him as did he..may he rest in peace.

For a French Canadian with a grade 9 education who did not speak a word of English when he joined the Air Force, I think he did pretty good in life.

I can see him happy and fishing with my favourite Uncle up in that fishing boat in the sky.

Happy Father's Day, Dad. Miss you and love you.

A

• Like 3