The Redblacks

I am a huge sports fan and for me, THE sport is football. The CFL preseason has started and the first league game is being held on June 26th.

As always I am excited about the kick-off to the season but more so this year because of the return of Ottawa to the league. A couple of years ago I spent a few days in Ottawa and while biking around the Rideau Canal I quite unexpectedly came upon Lansdowne Park. The mere sight brought back so many memories - Russ Jackson, Ronnie Stewart, Whit Tucker and all of those incredible games against Ron Lancaster and his Roughriders.

In three of the last four seasons Moncton has hosted a CFL game, sold them all out and I was at them all. There is renewed talk of an Atlantic team to be based out of Halifax or Moncton and if and when they do put that together then I will be in line to be the first season ticket holder.

This morning I looked at the Ottawa home schedule, thinking of a multi purpose visit of course, and when I selected the buy ticket option I was terribly impressed with the number of tickets that are already sold for this seasons games. My reaction is easy. "Good for you Ottawa." Many of us on the East coast are very jealous that your team is able to return while we still wait.

There are so many Cerb members from Ottawa and surrounding vicinity that I write this hoping that all of you will support the Redblacks and the CFL overall. It is an iconic Canadian tradition. You have a chance now to build your own memories.

Congratulations on having your team back this year. I am quite confident that I shall see you at a game this season and if I book two tickets I would love to have someone accompany me. :)

• Like 3

Hopefully the memories are lasting, decent owner in place now and just need the fans to keep it sustained... I like to think Ottawa is better than a one team town.

I like to get out to a few games if I can, opening day would be fantastic!

• Like 1

I've got my season ticket, and with it you get a great discount on the Fury FC as well. Tickets sales have gone well, only a thousand left for the Ottawa home opener. Looks like the new stadium will be ready on time, they're having an open house for season ticket holders July 9th.

• Like 1

Guest P*rry

Mrnice2: Thank you for the nostalgic post. I grew up in Montreal and have many fond memories of games at Molson Stadium. I drive by Lansdowne Stadium almost each day. Work is proceeding at a feverish pace. The place looks like it will be a great venue for football. I can hardly wait for the first game.

Ah, if those names brought up nostalgic memories then you are also a long time fan. :) I had not realized that there was such major work being done on the stadium and in the park, so it appears as if you are going to have a great venue.

However for me it's still, "Go Als.)

Mrnice2: Thank you for the nostalgic post. I grew up in Montreal and have many fond memories of games at Molson Stadium. I drive by Lansdowne Stadium almost each day. Work is proceeding at a feverish pace. The place looks like it will be a great venue for football. I can hardly wait for the first game.

I will be going to a couple of games this year for sure! Used to love going to Rough Riders games back in the 70's and 80's when I was a kid coming over here to visit my Dad's family. The Redblacks have a decent team put together, have good ownership this time and a lot of people I speak to are very excited for the new stadium. I think the team is in very good shape for years to come.

• Like 1

I'm going to the game on the 15th of August. I'm looking at going to a Montreal game as well. Should be a good season

• Like 1

Guest *l**e

I don't really enjoy CFL football, but I will go to some games this year, for sure!! Gotta support the new team!

Can't wait for the season opener

Geez, brings back memories. I'm not a fan of football...can't stand the game actually but met a few of the players. Stand-up guys.

I remember attending a Grey Cup parade in downtown Ottawa in the mid-60s. Russ Jackson was on a float along with a bunch of other guys. They won the cup that year.

Met Tony Gabriel a couple of times in the course of business. Now there was a true gentleman. A fellow who understood PR. Even though I didn't understand or appreciate the game, I wished him luck on a game he was playing that evening & he was very gracious and receptive to well wishes.

Met Ian Mofford - Running Back/Wide Receiver. He used to fly out of the flight school I used to work for. Decent fella. Had some nice conversations - not about football.

• Like 2

Keep in mind that there is no longer any parking at the stadium. You will either have to bus it or walk.

Keep in mind that there is no longer any parking at the stadium. You will either have to bus it or walk.

this is true, no parking at the grounds but it really should be to big a problem. you always have the option to park in the glebe or near by, but getting parking will be a pain in the ass... the bus it will be.

Hearing Jock Climie talk about the old Riders sure bring back memories, buying ticket to the end zone and then a bunch of us kids swarming the fence and getting into the South stands

Hearing Jock Climie talk about the old Riders sure bring back memories, buying ticket to the end zone and then a bunch of us kids swarming the fence and getting into the South stands

It's all about being a Southsider!!! Who would ever want to sit in the North Stands...BLECH!!!

North side sucks!!!! LOL

• Like 1

Congratulations to the folks in Ottawa for the support that you gave to your new football team. Apparently all homegames were sold out and even if their record is not what one may have hoped for, it is also very misleading to a degree. They were in some very close ballgames.

I have a Redblack shirt that I was given by a friend from Ottawa and have donned it to watch several games.

Now let's get an Eastcoast team! :)

Congratulations to the folks in Ottawa for the support that you gave to your new football team. Apparently all homegames were sold out and even if their record is not what one may have hoped for, it is also very misleading to a degree. They were in some very close ballgames.

I have a Redblack shirt that I was given by a friend from Ottawa and have donned it to watch several games.

Now let's get an Eastcoast team! :)

This you MN2 ?

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTc8sEg_SmUTVVV15hpIHDXzJGcHVmz2-wRxREEwjGTtpF7F1r-oA

Oh oops....sorry you said shirt not skirt !!

• Like 1

The new stadium is nice. Even if the team is terrible, going to the game is a fun night out in a city where there's not much else going on. I'll be getting season tickets again next year.

As the Ottawa REDBLACKS get set to play their last regular season game I thought that I would revive this thread from a year ago. My Al's are out of the playoffs so my sentimental favorite now has to be Ottawa. I do actually hate their new name and I think of the Roughriders and Russ Jackson and Ronnie Stewart and Landsdowne Park, but this team is making its own history now.

I especially love that the city is supporting the team and selling out for the second season in a row. I'm still waiting for a Maritime team to get into this league.

• Like 1

Redblacks up by 10 early. My dad has seasons tickets when I was a kid. I even visited Russ Jackson's home and met several players but have yet to go to a Redblacks game. Not optimistic team will sel out if team has a few seasons of losing football

• Like 1

Guest ****emb******n

Congrats to the Red Blacks for clinching first place in the East. With my team eliminate I will be cheering for Ottawa. Do you guys have a preference who they play in the semifinals?

OSEG's other team the Fury had a tough game, but came through and are headed to New York to face the Cosmos next week for the NASL championships, and they had 9300 fans in the stands. How's that for a second year franchise.

• Like 3