need touristy advice please :)

so I'm driving east this fall.... and as is customary I'm making a vacation out of my tour. I love to visit you guys but I'd also like to see the country and so I need the advice of some experts ;)

I was raised on the coast in Wales, and the only time I've seen the east coast of Canada is from a boat while sailing past. I remember it being very similar to the Welsh coast, and I'm so excited! It's the next best thing to a vacation back home.

I'd like to stop in most major centres for work, but I'm open to detours for some fascinating scenery. I'm in the early planning stages so have no idea exactly when I will be where, or how long I will stay once I arrive. However, with your help I can build a schedule that will allow me plenty of time to misbehave, with some down time to enjoy my holiday.

I'm bringing my bike so keep in mind any awesome bike trails you know of. I do know that I want to drive the bridge to PEI, and take the ferry over to Newfoundland. I'm taking the short ferry cause I don't mind driving, but what route to take and what to stop and see on the way from Port aux Basques to St. John's? probably plenty! I'm open to any advice.

My questions are both work related and touristy ... don't forget to tell me what province or city you're referring to.....

best days to hobby ... weekends or weekdays?

best times to hobby ... morning, afternoon, or evening?

three things I must see in your province while I'm there?

one thing I must see in your city before I leave?

your favourite restaurant?

your favourite scenic walking route, bike trail, or outdoor attraction.

thank you kindly in advance for your assistance ladies and gentlemen! ;)

Fort Amherst at the entrance to St Johns harbour. You'll see it very clearly from Signal Hill. The former light house keepers cottage is open as a place to stay but its frightfully expensive. But, you can wander around & get up close. There's also the World War II fortifications built there to protect the harbour. [VBRO 469496]

Check with tourist bureau to see if icebergs are still to be seen.

As Super Newf said, walk the long trail all around Signal Hill.

The Battery Hotel might be a good place to stay if only for the view.

• Like 1

Guest W****he***k

The Battery Hotel is no longer a hotel. There are plenty of other good hotels but you may need to book early. St. John's does a brisk hotel business in summer.

The Sheraton in St. John's is nice for the view. Stay on the Harbour side and if you can get a corner room or one with a porthole window!

Restaurants there are SO many.

Corner Brook - Sorrento's (amazing pasta!)

St. John's - Blue on Water is one of my favs!

Ahh girl we will have to chat!!!! Xo

• Like 1

oh Newfoundland.... what can I say?!! Besides you were right!

Ice4fun and others did advise me that my plans were ambitious (to put it politely) and they were right!!

I did not make it to your lovely province this visit, and I'm just bummed about it!

I hadn't really thought about the costs of travel vs the income I can generate in two days visit, so it really was a matter of being cost-prohibitive.

On top of that, I was getting pretty exhausted and might not have been at my best.

I will plan a visit to NL exclusively and spend enough time there that not only can I make it worthwhile, I will have time to see and enjoy the entire province and not just the ferry and a hotel room!