Moving and packing

Get everyone!

So I'm purging my house on the market next week (I hope). Right now though, I'm living in a construction zone as contractors paint, redo carpet and my deck. Good times! The only thing getting me through is remembering I get to look at new places!

So what's your advice on packing, moving, looking at houses etc. I'm a bit of an amateur.

The best way to pack in my opinion is to light the house on fire but I'm in a townhouse so .. ;)

When packing I make sure it is well marked. Each room has its own boxes - don't pack bedroom stuff with kitchen stuff. Mark on the box what is in the box. Keep them light too. Nothing worse then trying to lift a 100 lb box.

I also purge stuff I no longer need before I start packing. If I haven't used it in a year off it goes to charity or yard sale.

Good luck.

No advice, I can just sympathize! I've moved over 30 times in my life (I got my nomadic tendencies from my mom, she never stayed in one place for more than a few months!). I've just started picking up boxes for my upcoming move.... NOT looking forward to it!

....So what's your advice on packing, moving, looking at houses etc. I'm a bit of an amateur....

Do it while you're naked.

Everything is better when you're naked.

If you have to do it ya' just might as well enjoy it fer goodness' sake (just remember to invite me over, ok?).

In fact, I'm naked right now! HA!:exagerefesses:

Do it while you're naked.

Everything is better when you're naked.

So true.

Here is the appropriate sound track for your naked packing:

House buying can be fun or stressful!

Be sure you give yourself a lot of time if you can. Do not rush into it!

Make sure you have your inspections done with an agent of your choosing.

Remember that cosmetics are simple fixes, but notice the foundation, roof, electrical and plumbing before setting your eyes on colors on the wall or the what's underfoot.

Look into the future, is it a developing area? If there is going to be construction for years and years, this may hurt re-sell as many do not want to hear and see construction when trying to re sale.

is it your forever home? Or one you may just use as a stepping stone?

Be fare in your offer, if low ball too much you may loose your offer, and yet do not be taking for a fool, compare yours to others around.

Make sure property taxes can fit your budget.

Best of luck!!

Ask your friends if they can get boxes for you, most factories or warehouses have tons--literally--of boxes, bubble wrap and foam peanuts that get thrown out.

Costco has a folding handcart that is very good for moving boxes around, even heavy ones. It's about fifty bucks but well worth it. It will save a lot of wear and tear on your back.

Finally, if you are moving, start packing NOW. Every time I move it seems like there is twice as much stuff to pack as I thought there was. And it takes twice as long. Moving day comes faster than you expect....you don't want to be throwing stuff into boxes as the movers are knocking on the door.

All I know is it's a time for a clean out too. When I did my last move seven loads of stuff in my pick up truck to the dump. Amazing the things that you pick up and end up cluttering your home over time

With clutter stuff, be brutal. Ask yourself if you'll ever use it again...irrespective of if it's good or not, and if the answer is no, pitch it

RG

Pack up the things you won't need for the next few months in boxes put them on pallets in the garage or rent a pod if you can afford it. Buyers know you are moving so having boxes in the garage isn't a shocker. Just be sure you don't put cardboard boxes right on the garage floor. Declutter a bit but don't remove all the personal pics. Buyers like to know the home has a good vibe and has "love" in the home. Most important is make it clean as possible, this includes the appliances and under the sinks. People have associated dirty stoves as the rest of the place being filthy as well. Priced right and your town house will sell quickly in this balanced market.