I do not own a cell phone. I do not need one.

That's your prerogative.

But when it comes to hobbying, don't expect a lady to circumvent her screening procedures to accommodate you if having a cell phone is one of her requirements.

• Like 5

Well in the strictest sense I don't need a cellphone, nor a laptop. But I choose to own one, not because I have to have one, but because I choose to have one.

My cellphone is also my "home" phone. I do not have a landline. So when I share my cell phone number with a lady she knows my "home" phone number. And my phone is not to my ear 24/7...I have a life and am not one of those people who needs to be that connected to my phone. I grew up in an era (1970's) and don't recall seeing line up at pay phones so people could stay in touch. So I don't really understand the need to stay this "in touch" now. We managed without cellphones in the 1970's (and earlier) so (and just my opinion) we can manage without being 24/7 glued to our cellphones now.

I do take my cell phone out. When I'm travelling, it is very handy for emergencies. Have a roadside emergency, a great way to call for a towtruck, see an accident, call 911 and so on. And when I'm travelling, to see a lady, well it's a great way for the lady and myself to stay in touch

A landline wouldn't allow it

As for computers, well I have two reasons for a laptop. One, it was cheaper than a desktop. My laptop cost $400+ and does what I need for my purposes. A corresponding desktop, couple thousand (I thought they were cheaper, nearly had a heart attack) Two it offered portability, I can use it in my living room, my "office" in my kitchen etc while still being hooked up to my wireless internet. A desktop anchors you to one spot in your home. Why pay more for a computer that has less flexibility, again, my opinion.

And as for computers be it laptop or desktop, or the internet. Well I don't truly "need" it at all. But a computer/internet opened a wonderful world of companionship (CERB) one I wouldn't have discovered without it

And through emails, I get to stay in touch with people who are important to me. Yes you say, without computer/internet I could use conventional mail but back in the old days LOL I wasn't much of a letter or card writer, I would probably would be the same now

As for a cell phone, well now it's a smartphone I use. But I grew up in a household with a rotary phone (landline) including at our cottage, a party line, then touch tone phones (I remember when phone jacks were the big thing, you could unplug your phone and move it around the house) then the addition of answering machines, then voicemail. And when you felt screwed over by Bell enough, VOIP type technology. Cell phones for me just an evolution in home phone with more versatility

So cellphones and computers, they haven't taken over my life, they have complimented it.

A rambling

RG

Edited by r__m__g_uy
  • Like 1

I don't mind it when my guests don't have a cell phone, it actually ends up being a more secure way to confirm my guests as many use a 'hobby phone ' which may not even be registered to their name.

If my visitor doesn't have a cell, I ask for their home number which I verify on canada411, or their name and hotel room number. I then call them at an agreed upon time with info.

I've had gentlemen request the call an hour or two before our encounter, so rather than give the address I'll direct them to a nearby pay phone, and ask them to call me 15-minutes before our time for the info. Others request the call 30-minutes before our time, so I give the address and ring number. Apartment number is given when they ring in.

No cell phone, no problem! But no phone at all would mean no encounter; if I can't call you at your home or hotel then it wouldn't work.!if you don't trust me with your phone number, I don't trust you with my address

• Like 3

.. the downside of not having a cell is that the wife cannot contact me at any time of day...................................................................................

come to think of it that's not such a downside, especially the time I was balls deep inside a cute little biker chick and trying to read the tattoo on her ass while banging her doggie-style and then the darn phone starts ringing ....very distracting....

• Like 1

I agree with Jay's post, technology is a tool that too many fail to use properly. I think our society is replacing the act of living in the moment with gadgets, gizmos and trinkets. I have used my smartphone to distract myself in moments when my mind doesn't want to deal with the situation and when I look back I've realized I missed something I should have been present for. When I replace technology with interacting with the now, I realize I've failed to stay present. The challenge for me is maintaining the awareness while taking advantage of the tech that can free up my time so I attempt to do that by exercising discipline with technology. My laptop causes me far more headaches in this practice than my phone ever could because I fall down the internet rabbit hole when I'm alone. I get up from the desk and realize I ate the cake and drank the bottle, I've been little and giant; hours have passed that felt like a few minutes. Those are hours I have to justify to myself as being time well spent and seldom can I do that.

From a literal vantage point of this industry, it can be hard to arrange a rendezvous without a cell phone but it isn't impossible. It simply takes more patience which is something the OP pointed out he seems to have in spades...

cat

• Like 2

I agree with Jay's post, technology is a tool that too many fail to use properly. I think our society is replacing the act of living in the moment with gadgets, gizmos and trinkets.

cat

But is that technology's fault or the user of the technology's fault

Everyone has to do what is right for them

But for those who cross a busy street with their phone in their face

Or have that earpiece "growth" in their ears so they can be wired in 24/7

or....

well you get the idea

They let technology control them.

Me I'm a controller of the technology I use

Just adding to my thoughts, unfortunately on a laptop, using the internet

But I wasn't doing it when out for a walk, and my phone didn't go with me on that walk LOL

RG

• Like 1

In this fast paced world, it's becoming more difficult to function without adopting these technologies. I worked in a technical industry, and years ago I can remember being issued my first pager. I used to leave in my desk drawer when I went home in the evening, but that didn't last too long. The company subsidized our first cell phone and computers so that we could learn to become literate. It was a dos based 8086 Amdec with an amber screen.

Fast forward, we've come a long way. Seems to me whether it's physically a desktop, laptop or tablet is rather unimportant, you buy what's current. When I upgraded my phone last years I did move up to a smart one, and I probably would be lost without it, primarily because I travel quite a bit.

It's primarily a matter of lifestyle.

I don't particularly like or trust email, it's final when you press the enter key to send, and you never really control who will see it. It is very difficult to compose an email which is interpreted as you you intend, the english language is so fraught with nuance and ambiguity. As for text I think it has limited uses for me, I would much rather have a face to face dialogue.

• Like 1

I respect the OPs good natured rant. Enjoyed it actually even though it did carry-on a bit.

Grrrrrr!! I hate technology because I do. GrrrrRowRowF!

If he had a cellphone in his mouth I betcha' it would have been crunched up into little cell-phone bits by now. GRRRRRRRrrrr..... rrrrrr (done with a smile)

In latter days he would have been called a Luddite.

Guest N***he**Ont**y

My Home phone is a cell phone which I no longer carry with me when I am working. I carry a work smart phone which is on during my working hours and then is shut off so to speak when I book off. My family and some close friends have the House Phone number but it is never with me while working .