Upspeak

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE do N O T say you upspeak.

What is upspeak, you ask?

To wit, it is when a person is saying something--is declaring something--but speaks with the intonation of a question.

For example, "Today in the Gaza strip? Hundreds of innocent children were killed? By continuing political unrest?"

AAAAAUGHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!! :tresmauvaisehumeur::vatefaire:

Upspeaking makes a person sound unsure of himself. He may be making a declarative statement but his rising vocal intonation makes him sound unsure of himself or even makes him sound apologetic.

I've seen and heard countless news segments on the national news of Foreign Affairs Minister John Baird speaking in upspeak and I just want to punch the guy in the face. ("We want President Putin to know? His actions are unacceptable? And we will issue further sanctions? Against Russia?")

smack_in_face_slap_computer.jpg

I remember when, after the train derailment devastated the town of Lac-Mégantic, Minister of Transport Lisa Raitt spoke to the media about how her department will do what is necessary to help the citizens of Lac-Mégantic: "I, Lisa Raitt? And my department? Will do whatever is necessary? To help rebuild? Lac-Mégantic? Rest assured? My department and I? Will listen to all your needs? And will do whatever is in our powers? To help you?"

I've even heard high-power lawyers upspeaking with their clients and doctors upspeaking with their patients.

Yup. That instills confidence in me, for sure.

N O T !

Edited by jay gatsby
Spelling and grammar.
  • Like 2

ok, like, I don't have a problem with upspeak (?),mkay ?

we've all used it as teenagers (?) right ?

So, like, what I'm saying is like, the new language of diplomacy worldwide should be, like, upspeak (?) mkay ?

ok, like, I don't have a problem with upspeak (?),mkay ?

we've all used it as teenagers (?) right ?

So, like, what I'm saying is like, the new language of diplomacy worldwide should be, like, upspeak (?) mkay ?

131102-south-park-obamacare.jpg

Mr. Mackey from South Park! :) Technically, he doesn't upspeak; he simply ends his declarative sentences with "mmmkay"? which means he is, technically, indeed asking a question.

Mr. Mackey: "Drugs are bad, mmmkay?"

Everyone else: "Drugs are bad, okay?" (meaning, "Drugs are bad. You got it? They're bad!")

But, for the record, I can honestly tell you I never used upspeak when I was a teen.

Edited by jay gatsby

Love it or loathe it, it seems to be the way the language is going.

Still, we Canadians should be fine. We've been doing the moral equivalent for years, eh?

Mmmkay and eh isn't upspeaking!!! It's ending a thought or sentence with a question. He's talking about tone. Read his examples out loud raising the tone of your voice at every ?

I agree, it's infuriating!